Why become a member? ×

How stage space is divided up...

Drummer... Biggest slice of it. Keyboards... Almost as much. Guitarist, or guitarists (complete with pedal boards).....Most of what's left. Lights, desk, stands and speakers..... Shoe horned in where you can get them.... Vocalist.... Whatever is left at the front. Bass player.... Behind, at the side of, or so close to his cab that he can't step back without being on top of it. This also stops said bass player having any idea what he sounds like as he is in the worst place possible to hear his own instrument. Bass players seem to be in a perpetual ' Groundhog Day' situation of having to fight for space so they feel part of the band, instead of being treated like a modern day 'scullery maid' and hidden bellow the stairs.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1463994157' post='3055532']
Get into the habit of 'accidentally' smacking people round the back of the bonce with your headstock. You'll find that your allotted stage space will magically increase...
[/quote]
Another of Leo's secrets - why he made the headstock bigger than teles or strats, nothing at all to do with those fat strings.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1463994157' post='3055532']
Get into the habit of 'accidentally' smacking people round the back of the bonce with your headstock. You'll find that your allotted stage space will magically increase...
[/quote]
It's all in the strap.
[url="https://youtu.be/-yHowHsFxDA"]https://youtu.be/-yHowHsFxDA[/url]

When my band used to be 5 piece (Vox, 2x guitars, drums, bass) I could never, try as I might, explain to the pot basher that he should set up right of centre so that the 2 of us on the left had room to breathe. Every friggin' gig we'd get there and he'd assembled his huge kit dead centre. Like talking to a cabbage.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1463995530' post='3055552']
What really annoys me is when there is an even number in the backline and drummer insists on setting slap bang in the middle thereby forcing two of the remaining back line to be in each other's way[b] with the remaining one on the other side having enough room to set up their gear and a have BBQ in the space left over[/b]. It is all about the drums after all.
[/quote]

:lol:

Edited by CamdenRob

I've been 'experimenting' with effects recently, mostly at home or on just one or two projects.
I've just started carrying my 'live' fx board when gigging with the worst offending band, thus I can say I need this space in front of me. Otherwise someone will stand there. That close!

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1463997214' post='3055579']
When my band used to be 5 piece (Vox, 2x guitars, drums, bass) I could never, try as I might, explain to the pot basher that he should set up right of centre so that the 2 of us on the left had room to breathe. Every friggin' gig we'd get there and he'd assembled his huge kit dead centre. Like talking to a cabbage.
[/quote]

Very true words. Exactly the same problem here.

Was in one band , stage left Guitarist , plus 4 guitars on stands, rear but slightly Right Drums, Stage Right Keys, Brass, BV and bass, Front, but slightly Right Lead Vox.

Didn't last long

Edited by lojo

I can't say this has ever been an issue... yeah some gigs are tight with tiny stages, where everyone is cramped, but I've never had the issues you guys are describing with other band members taking up more space than is reasonable?

All the bands I've been in, we've just looked at the space available and then setup in a way that works best for everyone... you know... like reasonable adults :mellow:

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1463998021' post='3055593']
Trio FTW :)
[/quote]

No drummer FTW. :)

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1464006620' post='3055666']
...looked at the space available and set up in a way that works best for everyone... like reasonable adults :mellow:
[/quote]

'Dad, when I grow up I want to be a musician.'
'You can't do both, son.'

I turned up late to a pub gig and found that the guitar, drums and keys had set up and left me precisely zero space!!

During the whole process of load in and set up it hadn't occurred to them that a bit of room might be needed for a bass player with his gear. I tried to make a joke about it but in my head there was a megaphone shouting "you brainless d*ckheads."

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1464011484' post='3055723']
I turned up late to a pub gig and found that the guitar, drums and keys had set up and left me precisely zero space!!

During the whole process of load in and set up it hadn't occurred to them that a bit of room might be needed for a bass player with his gear. I tried to make a joke about it but in my head there was a megaphone shouting "you brainless d*ckheads."
[/quote]

Should have got there earlier then, shouldn't you?