Why become a member? ×

How stage space is divided up...

It's easy for the Terrortones. Drums in the middle, guitar and bass either side (it doesn't matter which) and Mr Venom in the middle. So long as there's room at the front for the guitarist's small pedal board, my Line6 Shortboard and the theremin, and space for me and the guitarist to stand, we're good. Mr Venom spends most of his time in the audience so he doesn't need much room on stage.

I usually arrive first - set up the lights and my bass gear. The rest of the band arrive and set up around me leaving very little space for me to actually stand in. The drummist usually asks me to move my rig so he can set up even though there is plenty of room. They then place all their empty gear cases on top of mine! There is a lot to be said for arriving late.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1464018807' post='3055795']
Mr Venom spends most of his time in the audience so he doesn't need much room on stage.
[/quote]

Or *on* the bar, or in the street!

Edited by Si600

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1464025218' post='3055872']
Being in a 3 piece is pretty good for this, not too often there`s territory wars going on.
[/quote]

Yes, I'm taking out a huge pedal board and carpet for 'my space'..
Don't plug the board in tho..:lol: AND music stand..!!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1463994157' post='3055532']
Get into the habit of 'accidentally' smacking people round the back of the bonce with your headstock. You'll find that your allotted stage space will magically increase...
[/quote]

I had this exact discussion with our singer / guitarist at the last gig once I realised I had about 1 foot square to put me and my gear in, I had all the room I needed after clouting him round the back of the head when he decided to leap in the air mid song and promptly staggered off the front of the (fortunately un-raised) stage clutching his head...Precision bass 1 singer's head 0 :yarr:

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1464027117' post='3055908']
I had all the room I needed after clouting him round the back of the head when he decided to leap in the air mid song and promptly staggered off the front of the (fortunately un-raised) stage clutching his head...Precision bass 1 singer's head 0 :yarr:
[/quote]

SWEEEET!! I mean... that's terrible.

The best one about stage space was a few years back, in an old band I was in. We set up, and once the singer/guitarist was happy with his sound, he put his guitar right in front of my amp. I should mention that he didn`t play guitar on all the songs, prob 6 out of 40.

So I moved said guitar in front of his amp. To which I was told harshly, "that`ll block the sound, no-one will be able to hear me".

Trying hard to diplomatically avoid telling him he was a retard, I replied "it won`t be there when you`re playing it".

"Aaaargggh", and an exit from the stage was the response I received.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1464028012' post='3055927']
The best one about stage space was a few years back, in an old band I was in. We set up, and once the singer/guitarist was happy with his sound, he put his guitar right in front of my amp. I should mention that he didn`t play guitar on all the songs, prob 6 out of 40.

So I moved said guitar in front of his amp. To which I was told harshly, "that`ll block the sound, no-one will be able to hear me".

Trying hard to diplomatically avoid telling him he was a retard, I replied "it won`t be there when you`re playing it".

"Aaaargggh", and an exit from the stage was the response I received.
[/quote]

Love it!

I think it's a case of everyone being flexible when it comes to this. In our band, if we turn up at said gig and the space is smaller than expected, we all just work together to make it all fit, I've even seen our drummer just go down to Kick / snare / Hi-hat and 2 cymbals, to help make it fit, Cabs go 'on-end' etc...I've long since gone past having the patience to deal with egos in bands. I do realize I'm lucky to be in a band with other like-minded people though..

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1464089886' post='3056439']
I do realize I'm lucky to be in a band with other like-minded people though..
[/quote]

It's the most important thing for me I've come to realize... I've compromised on type of music and location of rehearsals in favor of working with a nice bunch of guys with a similar outlook to myself :)

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1464091712' post='3056461']
....I've compromised....
[/quote]

Therein lies the solution! If everyone is willing to compromise somewhat, then everyone is generally as happy, or as unhappy as everyone else is. Sorted!

It's more the bags and crap left lying around at set up and break down that's more of a problem with my bloody lot! The drummer unpacks his snare/toms and leaves the bags all over what little stage we have, the guitard and singer (an item so arrive together) put PA speakers and bags/guitar cases haphazardly rather than putting them near where they would go. I've stepped away from my gear to set my pedal board up and come back to find a kit bag on top of my amp and an empty cymbal case leaning against my speaker. Removed these, put my pedal board down and connected up, turned round to adjust something on amp and keys puts a bag between me and pedals which I nearly trip over!! They're a bloody liability!!!

Yes. That's my major beef. Cases and boxes not put back in the cars when they've been emptied. There's usually not much space as it is. I have three large boxes that the lights come in and I religiously put them back in my car once we've set up.

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1464095131' post='3056503']
It's more the bags and crap left lying around at set up and break down that's more of a problem with my bloody lot! The drummer unpacks his snare/toms and leaves the bags all over what little stage we have, the guitard and singer (an item so arrive together) put PA speakers and bags/guitar cases haphazardly rather than putting them near where they would go. I've stepped away from my gear to set my pedal board up and come back to find a kit bag on top of my amp and an empty cymbal case leaning against my speaker. Removed these, put my pedal board down and connected up, turned round to adjust something on amp and keys puts a bag between me and pedals which I nearly trip over!! They're a bloody liability!!!
[/quote]

This! It's taken a little while but we've just about managed to train our drummer to set-up on the dance floor and then move into place once we've sorted out all the power and lights etc, which invariably are at the back. This simple step has reduced our set-up time by half, seems like more work but is actually more time efficient.

Hm. I spent years happily tucked in beside the drummer on his hihat side. Correct place for a bass player.
Till my current band. Drummer stage left right next to the singers keyboard and the mixer. Guitarist about 2/3 stage right with me squeezed in the remainder - miles from the drummer. Hate it.
I thought when I had to take over most of the lead vocals recently I would get to move.... nah.
But they are great players and a lovely bunch of chaps and I guess old habits die hard! :D

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1464025106' post='3055869']
Seriously, a pet hate. So if a venue/stage area isn't big enough, don't do the gig.
Why the bass player should not have room to swing a cat is a mystery.... and I'm not
standing right on top of cymbals either.
[/quote]

Seriously JT, the amount of reasons you come out with to turn down gigs, it's an absolute bloody miracle you ever play anywhere.

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1464104042' post='3056581']
This! It's taken a little while but we've just about managed to train our drummer to set-up on the dance floor ...
[/quote]

I bet he looks harassed on the dance floor.

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1464156313' post='3056921']
Seriously JT, the amount of reasons you come out with to turn down gigs, it's an absolute bloody miracle you ever play anywhere.
[/quote]

I know...I'm just not as keen anymore.

And on a serious note, I'm having to work quite hard to pick up gigs I want to do and you end up being in quite a few pick up bands.
That way, the players and gigs are generally good enough to drop in and out of and the regular pick-ups bands--if that is not a contracdiction do get some
nice gigs

The back drop to this is I gave up for 18 months or so when I got REALLY jaded and I don't want to have that again, so yes, I'm being quite picky.

It stops me joining quite a few bands, but what I put up with years ago in order to play and what I do know, is wildly different.
At least, I'm not upset by the situation and am quite reconciled that this path is the right one..etc etc etc

This is an absolute bug bear of mine and the only time I really properly speak up! It's particularly frustrating on the occasions that the massive area of stage is allocated to the shrinking violet of a guitarist who is more fixated on chord charts than the audience!