Why become a member? ×

Neck repaired double bass. OK? Avoid?

ivansc

I bought an upright off a friend who is a pretty decent luthier. When he got it, the neck had broken off where it joined the body.
He has drilled both down into the heel AND through the soundboard using 4 heavy duty screws.
I have had the bass for several years and it is all holding together really well, so I thought I would ask around to find out what other peoples experience with this sort of repair is?
It doesn`t look that pretty since although the holes are countersunk, he only filled and levelled the ones in the fingerboard, which are to be honest way up at the dusty end, so unlikely to be an issue for me. :D

Thing is, it is a fairly decent Czech instrument with a carved top and ply back/sides as far as I can see.
I suppose what I am leading up to is "should I consider spending more money on it for a really pro setup or not"

My first DB was a Zeller solid top from Romania; sounds like pretty much the same thing had happened - my more learned friend pointed out the neck had been out but the repair looked good. It certainly caused me no problems in the few years I had it, and I happily got the soundpost and bridge upgraded part way through my tenure.
Most decent luthiers will advise if they think it would be OTT to put further money into the instrument.

This isn't the approved repair method for this kind of break, but to be honest
a) the approved repair would be more than the bass is worth
B) if the repair is still stable, I'd leave it well alone.

If you're happy with the way it plays and sounds, that's fine, don't lose any sleep over it. I wouldn't be looking to put any more investment into that particular bass though

My first upright had already had a neck repair where it had broken at the heel, it was never a problem while I owned it and as far as I know it hasn't been a problem for the guy I sold it to either.

I think most basses of a certain age have had the neck knocked off at some point. :)

I did a repair on a heel broke neck, drilled through, gorilla epoxy, 6mm stud and nylocks countersunk, filled over and refinished fret board and back of heel.
Its pretty much invisible, strongest part of the bass and not a chance on earth it will fail.
I swear, it's invisible!

Bass sounds great.

Of course this isnt the "preffered " method but is cost effective, reliable and i do not fret over it failing at all.