Why become a member? ×

Hi

toml147

Hi from Cheshire, NW UK, have been playing bass for about 4/5 years or so, since uni. My basses of choice are a Crafter and Encore short scale, and I'm also thinking about getting a travel bass to play with a mate in York. Currently bandless, but looking at a few promising opportunities. In terms of the rig, I have a Laney RBX 3, and have played through a friend's Hartke cabs, as well as a Classic Cantabile, (some German amp...). Am constantly looking for new and interesting pedals, particularly distortion, I like a clanky metallic bass sound as opposed to a fuzzy wash, and like the sounds I'm hearing from the Rusty Box... atm just have a couple of DS1 clones and a Boss Hm 2.

How's that?

[quote name='toml147' timestamp='1464022074' post='3055830']
...I have a Laney RBX 3

<snip>

How's that?
[/quote]

Welcome Toml147!

I have two headless "stick" basses. Both are long scale with 24 frets and they're fine once you get used to not having a full body to rest your picking arm on. Some people dislike them for their odd balance but I am so used to it that I no longer notice. Of the two, the Hohner is the nicer instrument. It seems somehow better than the Steinberger in the way it feels and the tone is far more mellow. Must be its age, as my Steiny is only a young 'un.

On the Laney combo - I haven't seen an RBX 3 so I will assume this is like my RB 3. I like it for practice at home and the one time I fired it up in an almost empty community centre at audition I was quite happy. I am thinking it might just work in that sort of venue when full with [s]victims[/s] an audience. Just to be on the safe side I got myself a nice 300w Ashdown combo though. It is fair to say that neither have been used in anger so I am wondering how you've been doing with your Laney?

Edited by SpondonBassed

Yeah, sorry it was a an RB3, dunno why I put the X, one of these right?;
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Laney-RB3-Richter-Bass-Amp/dp/B000S6JS2C/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1464192929&sr=8-3&keywords=laney+rb+3+bass+amp
Love it love the way it sounds, love everything about it, I have it like Lemmy, all mids on real high with a slight boost from a pedal and both tone controls all the way up...
I also got one of these not too long ago;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLASSIC-CANTABILE-BASS-COMBO-AMPLIFIER-AMP-COMPACT-BLACK-60W-10-SPEAKER-/281256243890?hash=item417c2db2b2:g:ve8AAOSw5IJWcwYy
which doesn't sound too bad for the money spent. It provides a nice clean tone I like having a yardstick to measure distortion against that's good, and it doesn't distort naturally until you're really pushing the volume. I had a belcat 25W which distorted pedal free really easily, that pissed me off...
I like the look of the stick basses by Hohner I've seen, can't recall seeing any Steinbergers tho...
I was looking at the Hofner Shorty because that's a short scale stick bass. Essentially I'm just trying to downsize and economize my rig as much as possible. Could be a good topic on here...

[quote name='toml147' timestamp='1464194341' post='3057440']
Yeah, sorry it was a an RB3, dunno why I put the X, one of these right?;
[url="https://www.amazon.co.uk/Laney-RB3-Richter-Bass-Amp/dp/B000S6JS2C/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1464192929&sr=8-3&keywords=laney+rb+3+bass+amp"]https://www.amazon.c...y+rb+3+bass+amp[/url]

<snip>

I like the look of the stick basses by Hohner I've seen, can't recall seeing any Steinbergers tho...
I was looking at the Hofner Shorty because that's a short scale stick bass. Essentially I'm just trying to downsize and economize my rig as much as possible. Could be a good topic on here...
[/quote]

Yes to the RB3. The Steinberger is the same design, Hohner makes it under licence. This photo shows my two side by side.