Why become a member? ×

Changing Combo Impedance

Dr.Dave

Because we're now all 150 years old we're downsizing our gear a bit. I'm currently using a GK 2x10 Combo with a 1x15 ext cab. The combo sounds fine on it's own but is just a tad quiet and I'm unhappy about turning it up past halfway to get the volume I want. So....

The combo alone is rated at 8 ohms which means the 10" drivers must be 16 ohms each. What issues might arise if I replace them with 8 ohm drivers so the amp section is pushing it's load into 4ohms ? It should give me the little extra volume I want but what problems might it create ?

There's two issues. you'd have to choose speakers that worked with your cabs and the sound is likely to be different from the combo at the moment because they'll be different speakers.

The second is that it won't necessarily be much louder. Dropping the impedance will give you a little more output from the amp but only probably a couple of dB's more than at present. That's noticeable but only just. Your extension speaker is giving you an increase in power and efficiency so you are probably getting an extra 5dB with that.

However there are more efficient 10's around so it might be possible to get what you want with the right drivers, it's just a bit more complex than a straight swap of drivers.

Why don't you want to turn it up more than halfway? Does it start to distort? If not then there is no reason not to turn it up so long as you have the headroom. That is what it is there for.

I did that with an Ashdown EB 150 combo. I replaced the 8 ohm 200watt speaker with a 4 ohm 450 watt Eminence Kappa. It sounded great and a lot louder.

Only problem was that the new speaker was twice as heavy as the old speaker. So, while it made the amp a lot louder, you wouldn't want to carry it too far.

So if you want to make your amp louder but lighter, I recommend you go for neodymium drivers.

Edited by gjones

Habit , mostly. Many moons ago I read an article that basically said if you're turning the amp much past 4 to get the volume you need you should be thinking about getting bigger gear. I've always liked the idea of my kit coasting rather than being pushed.

I'll have a rethink though , notch it up a bit this weekend and see how comfortable I feel about it.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1464075335' post='3056246']
Habit , mostly. Many moons ago I read an article that basically said if you're turning the amp much past 4 to get the volume you need you should be thinking about getting bigger gear. I've always liked the idea of my kit coasting rather than being pushed.

I'll have a rethink though , notch it up a bit this weekend and see how comfortable I feel about it.
[/quote]

What past 4? Or halfway even is nothing for amps. The different manufacturers do differ but mainly I've found most amps are really at full power around about 7 or 2pm on the dial. Some go higher some a little lower. So you probably have a little in reserve assuming your gain is set right or at least not cranked.
If you have a reliable amp then it should be no problem. What does cause issues is where there running really cranked past that point that there not giving anything else.

I've noticed many more modern amps don't get loud till around 11am - 1pm anyhow so sounds like your not really driving it.

I'm sure you're right , mate. Probably a case of something I read 40 years ago when I started out sticking in my head. I've always like the GK , easy to get a sound which is quite bassy for a 2x10 and has never given me a problem in 200+ gigs. It has one fault - whoever designed it had the DI xlr seated the wrong way round and you can't get your finger in to release the xlr. What a pillock. I have to stick a key in to release it. I'll let it have it's head this weekend. Always happy to solve a problem without parting with any cash !