Why become a member? ×

3 months in Twickenham/London

marcblum

Hi Marc,

I know Twickenham isn't in Surrey, but this Facebook page covers a lot of gigs and jams in the area: [url="https://www.facebook.com/groups/SurreyGigs/"]https://www.facebook.com/groups/SurreyGigs/[/url]

Bass shops - central London Wunjo on Denmark Street is fabulous. Lots of others on here love The Gallery in Camden. You have good connections into central London on the train.

Have fun!

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1464025853' post='3055881']
You have good connections into central London on the train.
[/quote]

I lived in Twickenham for a year and the above quote tells you everything you need to know about it.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1464025985' post='3055882']
I lived in Twickenham for a year and the above quote tells you everything you need to know about it.
[/quote]

What's the best thing to come out of Twickenham? The train to Waterloo :D

Over the river in Kingston there is Boaters for jazz and various funkier bands on Sunday nights.

Again, in Kingston, The Oak for pub rock/blues etc every weekend and on the first Wednesday of the month a Jam night. All welcome, bring your bass.

In Twickenham there's the Eel Pie Club at the Cabbage Patch, a jam night (not sure which day) at the George.

Bands at the Admiral Nelson, usually Friday's.

A few stops away on the overground there's The Cavern at Raynes Park.

Check online for details.

Lots of great venues nearby. Boaters (Lol Cottle turns up on bass there quite regularly) has been mentioned, Bulls Head Barnes, Half Moon Putney.

Chandlers Guitars and Charlie Chandlers Guitar Experience (less for bass, that's true) nearby and London a hop away,

Fair few of us in Kingston / Twickenham Really aught to organise a drink up .

I'm born and bred in Twickenham ( Isleworth really, the nasty bit near the sewage works ;-) I've moved to Kingston now.
Its a pretty good place for live music , the eel Pie / patch provide the bulk of it , its a well known quiet-ish overflow area of Richmond Very popular with early 30 something's who want to be near London but not "in London" .
I think it depends on your age when I was 18 it was a bit too quiet, I headed into to Camden for my night-life , Kingston is 15 mins on the bus If your looking for nightclubs / bars after for 12 you will need to go to Kingston or into London "proper" about 15 mins on the train. If your just turning 30 and a bit over the club scene, So looking for great pubs , bars and live music its pretty good.

Sadly Twickenham lost is only music shop a few years back , so once again new strings its a trip to Kingston .

I keep meaning to try the jam night in [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]The Oak , but last time i was in there the beer selection was Carling or Stella and the live band was playing brass in pocket slightly off key , Far too loud for the 6 or 7 folk in there
so I walked on to the boaters . [/color][/font]

Edited by synthaside

I'll work in our office in Twickenham, so being located in Twickenham or Richmond would being preferred.

Age 50, I work as an IT project manager.

Said that, I would like to use this work stay to explore London / London music scene the evenings, and on the weekends together with my wife, who would visit me.

The Twickenham/Richmond area is very well served by trains, buses and all-night busses.

If you want to travel a little further there's Bass Gear in Twyford, near Reading.

In town, and easy Underground access from Waterloo, there's the 100 Club, O2, The Union Chapel and many more.

I stay in Twickenham occasionally, with my son who has lived there for a couple of years. Nice place but not found much music yet. Neither has he but to be fair he doesn't get out much due to work comitments. Shame really as he is a really good drummer. So, if any of you Twickenham guys are looking for a drummer for occasional stuff then give me a shout and I'll put you in touch.

Just the right age , were both 30 and our singers 25 , A female fronted covers band , playing the local area and about as far out as Egham , We rehearse out of a studios in Ashford which is 3 stops away from Twickenham, they Do kit hire if he hasn't got access to his own , We have gigs in the pipeline which were now worried we cant honour ` but will probably end up being delayed '

Ask if he's interested in a chat and fire me a pm we could arrange a beverage or call.

Lyle

I don't know if you've spent time in London before Marc, but be aware that it's a huge place.

No ... really huge.

Some good suggestions given above, but many of them involve far more travel than you might think. People think Barnes is close to Twickenham because it's only a few miles away and there's an occasional bus between them. :mellow:

Twickenham itself contains quite a bit of music action - see Lemonrock for a quick & easy source.

Extend your search to the neighbouring bits of West London (Kingston, Isleworth, Hampton) and there are some very good jams (Red Lion in Isleworth gets my vote) and some very good music pubs.

If you're going to be in London on 24th September, come along to the South East BassBash and meet some of us ...

My parents lived in Twickenham for years. I used to love to visit the Mulberry Tree when I was there. Great small venue, a music pub then. I think it became a Mongolian restaurant. I suppose pressure from local residents stopped the music licence being renewed eventually.

Aah. . . . the Mulberry Tree, that takes me back! Also the gigs at The Crown and Turks Head, just up the road in St Margaret's. Sadly I don't think any of them are still active music venues.

Edited by chris_b

Marc, if you want to check out the local history, there is a ferry trip on the Thames from Kingston to Hampton Court Palace, Ham House, Orleans House, Syon Park and the Steam Museum at Kew.

A bit of culture at the Richmond Theatre or The Rose Theatre in Kingston, Sport at several top Rugby clubs in Twickenham and Richmond (if the season has started) Horse Racing at Sunbury and Esher and there's the Royal Botanical Gardens at Kew.