Why become a member? ×

Jam nights to find a band in London/Herts/Birmingham

The-Ox

anyone know any decent jam nights where you could form a band? Our old band just sorta stopped due to outside commitments, but want to get back on it.

It doesn't even have to be to find band mates, anyone recommend any good jam nights in London, Herts or Brum in particular? There's tonnes if you search on google, but just wondering if anyone here had any particular ones

thanks

Taran

In the states we don't have jam nights, we have Open Mic night. Strictly fow newbies and amateurs.

In my opinion you would be better off looking for an established band.

Unless your 16 or well connected trying to start a band is a waste of time. IMO.

blue

[quote name='The-Ox' timestamp='1464043678' post='3056137']
Anyone recommend any in particular for classic rock / blues? Would definitely be interested. I want to improve my on the spot playing
[/quote]

My playing really improved from being out gigging 2-3 times a week. Practicing and then having the opportunitie to perform in front of an audience is a winning combination.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1464043316' post='3056129']
In the states we don't have jam nights, we have Open Mic night. Strictly fow newbies and amateurs.

blue
[/quote]

How is that helpful? OP asked for details of specific events in particular locations in England.

It's like someone asking "what strings for funk" and you answering by saying your favourite cuisine is Kazakhstani...

Check out RK music's website [url="http://www.rkmusic.co.uk/jam-nights/"]http://www.rkmusic.co.uk/jam-nights/[/url]. These guys used to attract reasonable interest when they had the night at the Middlesex Arms (now cancelled). A bit too blues based for me but plenty of solo guitarists, bass players and the occasional skin beater. Seems they are looking for a permanent home at the mo. Bit of a trek from Letchworth though.

[quote name='Jakester' timestamp='1464074729' post='3056236']

How is that helpful? OP asked for details of specific events in particular locations in England.

It's like someone asking "what strings for funk" and you answering by saying your favourite cuisine is Kazakhstani...
[/quote]

I think my comment was helpful.I truely was trying to be realistic and helpful.

But my response is probably not what most want to hear.

As far as strings for funk, I would say the funk is in your fingers not your strings. You can be funky using any kind of strings.

Blue

Edited by blue

I've always found jam nights good fun but not really the ideal environment for meeting potential band mates...

I assume we're talking about a jam night where everyone gets up and plays a few tunes with people they've not met before, as opposed to an open mic where everyone plays a few songs of their own material?

My reasoning is that a lot of these nights (especially the blues ones) are based around guitarists and not vocals... for me the vocals are 90% of good a band and the only thing 90% of people watching are interested in. Instrumental widdling may be fun, but outside of a few who are actively involved in it no-one cares... IMO you'd be better off finding a singer / songwriter and hooking up with them :)

I am talking about an originals band of course... If I was doing covers for money i'd follow blue's advice and look for the busiest band with the most gigs and make myself into the player they we're looking for.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1464049637' post='3056165']
My playing really improved from being out gigging 2-3 times a week. Practicing and then having the opportunitie to perform in front of an audience is a winning combination.

Blue
[/quote]

think you're right, my playing took off when I started playing in a band too. I'll try to get back into this, but blues type jam nights seem a good way of being able to improvise live

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1464075752' post='3056252']
Check out RK music's website [url="http://www.rkmusic.co.uk/jam-nights/"]http://www.rkmusic.co.uk/jam-nights/[/url]. These guys used to attract reasonable interest when they had the night at the Middlesex Arms (now cancelled). A bit too blues based for me but plenty of solo guitarists, bass players and the occasional skin beater. Seems they are looking for a permanent home at the mo. Bit of a trek from Letchworth though.
[/quote]

cheers Nicko! Yeah it is, I may be working in London which is why I included London in the post :) will have a look![quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1464077725' post='3056272']

I assume we're talking about a jam night where everyone gets up and plays a few tunes with people they've not met before, as opposed to an open mic where everyone plays a few songs of their own material?

[/quote]

sorta like that, aren't the blues ones sorta based on getting up there an improvising? Thats what I'm looking to do as a side to develop more range in my playing

[quote name='The-Ox' timestamp='1464083019' post='3056344']
sorta like that, aren't the blues ones sorta based on getting up there an improvising? Thats what I'm looking to do as a side to develop more range in my playing
[/quote]

Blues jams will be great for that... I've not been involved in them, but from the ones I've seen it looks like the bandleader just calls a key sig or a chord progression and a feel then off you all go. :)

There used to be a blues club/jam night at the Roadhouse in Birmingham, once a month on a Thursday I think. It might still be around?

Maybe play along to some backing tracks in the meantime? I find it helps me keep on top of my improv whilst i'm not rehearsing or gigging.
QuistJam is pretty good, he's a pro musician who creates tracks in his free time. There's a few videos in lots of different genres without basslines. I play 'em through trying to create a line on the fly and then throw in some craziness. Obviously you won't get the dynamic you get when playing with other people but I find it helps.

[url="http://https://www.youtube.com/user/QuistTV"]https://www.youtube.com/user/QuistTV[/url]

I've always found that structured practice has helped my playing more than anything so YMMV.

There's quite a lively blues jam scene in Glasgow. No help for your main question, but I've found it a really great way to meet other players and find out what playing/depping opportunities there are, and finding people to play with. My blues/rock and roll three piece found our current drummer at one.

It's a great environment for scouting potential bandmates/bands/replacements because you can actually hear them play before you approach them (and they can hear you). Saves a ton of time, hassle and mis-matches.

Good luck.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1464083398' post='3056348']
Blues jams will be great for that... I've not been involved in them, but from the ones I've seen it looks like the bandleader just calls a key sig or a chord progression and a feel then off you all go. :)

cheers Rob! Thats what I was mainly looking for, good to see I that they do exist and I didn't just imagine such scenarios :)
[/quote]
[quote name='Sammers' timestamp='1464085646' post='3056372']
There used to be a blues club/jam night at the Roadhouse in Birmingham, once a month on a Thursday I think. It might still be around?

Maybe play along to some backing tracks in the meantime? I find it helps me keep on top of my improv whilst i'm not rehearsing or gigging.
QuistJam is pretty good, he's a pro musician who creates tracks in his free time. There's a few videos in lots of different genres without basslines. I play 'em through trying to create a line on the fly and then throw in some craziness. Obviously you won't get the dynamic you get when playing with other people but I find it helps.

[url="http://https://www.youtube.com/user/QuistTV"]https://www.youtube.com/user/QuistTV[/url]

I've always found that structured practice has helped my playing more than anything so YMMV.
[/quote]

thanks mate, yeah I've heard of the Roundhouse actually, I'll look into it! I used to use backing tracks, think its an area I might revist. You're right in terms of practice, will help to get a bit more structure
[quote name='magee' timestamp='1464085660' post='3056375']
There's quite a lively blues jam scene in Glasgow. No help for your main question, but I've found it a really great way to meet other players and find out what playing/depping opportunities there are, and finding people to play with. My blues/rock and roll three piece found our current drummer at one.

It's a great environment for scouting potential bandmates/bands/replacements because you can actually hear them play before you approach them (and they can hear you). Saves a ton of time, hassle and mis-matches.

Good luck.
[/quote]

thats decent! I'd like to see others play and fit in a variety of situations, its a shame actually as I was applying for an internship up in Scotland!
[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1464086274' post='3056384']
Hey Taran

The UoH has a"jam night" once a month I believe - mostly people turning up with acoustic guitars and doing Oasis numbers - you might want to check the Students Union who might know a bit more..
[/quote]

oohh thanks Mick, might have a look! Worth checking in you're right

In the Herts area lemonrock is a good website for finding bands. I've personally steered clear of jam nights as I find them more for self-obsessed guitarists, particularly in blues, though I would love to be proven wrong.
Other than the sites if you're in Herts pop in to the practice roomz in Stevenage and look at their noticeboard, or the Farm Factory in Welwyn GC. There's always a load of "bassist wanted" ads in there, and it is likely to have been put up by a band that is using the rehearsal space, so not necessarily dreamers doing nothing, and you can ask the guys in the rehearsal space whether they're a serious bunch or not

[quote name='Sammers' timestamp='1464085646' post='3056372']
[/quote]

Once upon a time there was an open mic night there on Thursday nights - I finished up as the house band bassist. The guy who originally ran it stopped, but I think it's still going in some form.

[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1464251532' post='3057845']
In the Herts area lemonrock is a good website for finding bands. I've personally steered clear of jam nights as I find them more for self-obsessed guitarists, particularly in blues, though I would love to be proven wrong.
Other than the sites if you're in Herts pop in to the practice roomz in Stevenage and look at their noticeboard, or the Farm Factory in Welwyn GC. There's always a load of "bassist wanted" ads in there, and it is likely to have been put up by a band that is using the rehearsal space, so not necessarily dreamers doing nothing, and you can ask the guys in the rehearsal space whether they're a serious bunch or not
[/quote]

thats a good idea cheers, I used to practice there so will have another look!

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1464427211' post='3059355']
Once upon a time there was an open mic night there on Thursday nights - I finished up as the house band bassist. The guy who originally ran it stopped, but I think it's still going in some form.
[/quote]

oh wow! How was that experience? They run it on Mondays now I think

[quote name='The-Ox' timestamp='1464433612' post='3059424']
oh wow! How was that experience? They run it on Mondays now I think
[/quote]

Well, it was a learning experience. There were rather a lot of songs that I had never played, and I learnt the chords by watching the guitarist's fingers (even more fun when they've got a capo on). I'd like to do something like that again, to keep my brain working.

There was also a huge challenge one night, when a chap turned up with a djembe and asked if I'd do some drum and bass with him. I like to think that the performance we turned in was rather good. He was excellent and I rather hope I didn't let him down.

Another shout for Lemonrock.com it is strong in the Herts area. There are also ads for bands looking for members so you get two bites at the cherry. It's mainly a site for gigging bands so you don't get so many start ups or hobby bands only there.

I'm more positive about open mic/jam sessions. I've heard great singers and musicians there as well as people just starting out. Not that there is anything wrong with starting out either. I'm between bands and I wouldn't be averse to sniffing around the open mics to meet people and network a little. The guys running it are usually pretty well connected in the local music scene and worth talking to.

good luck, hope you find what you are looking for.