Why become a member? ×

NAD - Peavey MiniMAX™ 500 Watt Bass Amplifier Head *Review*

discreet

[b]NAD - Peavey MiniMAX™ 500 Watt Bass Amplifier Head *Review*[/b]

[b][url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/285506-nad-peavey-minimax-500-watt-bass-amplifier-head/page__view__findpost__p__3060791"]POST-GIG REVIEW 30-05-16[/url] [/b][list]
[*]500 Watts RMS @ 4 ohms/300W RMS @ 8 ohms
[*]DDT™ speaker protection
[*]Pre-gain control with TransTube® gain boost
[*]3-band EQ with Punch, Mid-shift and Bright controls
[*]Psychoacoustic low end bass enhancement
[*]Built-in direct output with ground lift and pre/post switch
[*]1/8" aux input
[*]1/8" phones output
[*]Chromatic tuner with speaker and DI mute
[*]Two twist-lock/combo 1/4" outputs
[*]Built-in effects loop
[*]Active and Passive inputs
[*]Dimensions: 10.75" width x 3.25" height x 6.625" depth
[*]Weight: 5.6 lbs (2.5kg)
[*]Comes with padded carry bag
[/list]

Edited by discreet

Looks good, nice pics. Built in tuner too eh?
Curious to know how it performs, watching with interest. Always had a soft spot for peavey
gear, although maybe they're a bit late to the lightweight amp party.
Made in China I'm guessing?

I'm hoping it's got that Peavey plug-and-play Old Skool chunky tone, but! Without the fifteen-ton speaker enclosure, obviously. The case is reassuringly tank-like, which is a good sign.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='dieseldalziel' timestamp='1464036871' post='3056057']
I made some comment in this thread [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/281118-peavey-minimax-head-anyone-tried-one/page__view__findpost__p__3006016"]http://basschat.co.u...ost__p__3006016[/url] not a review as such & no one does them like you!
[/quote]

Heh. You're very kind. But thanks for that, most useful... to me it seems quite big and heavy, but bear in mind I've been rocking a G-K MB200 which must be the smallest serious bass head on the planet. :) The MiniMax still doesn't overhang a vertically-positioned One10 though, so it's all relative really. I'll be interested to see if the bells and whistles are actually useful - I run mostly clean sounds in my current band - so I suspect they'll be 'off' at reasonable gigging levels. I just hope the core tone is as expected.

I use a venerable Peavey TNT combo for rehearsal - it lives in the rehearsal room permanently, it's way too heavy to move - but it's so easy to get a great sound with it and it's uber-reliable. I believe the MiniMax is the same or similar to the amps that power Peavey's MAX range of combos, which seem to be highly-regarded.

So if it's possible to get 'that' Peavey sound, but with your own choice of lightweight cab - and the amp is as reliable as you would expect a Peavey product to be, then it's going to be a winner, especially at this price point.

See? I'm reviewing it already and I haven't even plugged it in yet! :lol:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='dieseldalziel' timestamp='1464040867' post='3056099']
I had the GK MB200 also but I do like what I would call 'working weight'...
...heavy enough to feel solid but won't compact the discs in your vertebrae :D
[/quote]

It's true - the MiniMax seems heavy for a Class D amp, but it's not even close to being too heavy to carry. It sits nicely on top of a cab and I'm guessing it has more than enough mass to remain untroubled by vibration... I'm sure you could still pull it off and onto the floor with your instrument lead if you were determined, but you'd have to be a monumental bell-end to do that, wouldn't you?

It's approximately 2.3kg or around 5lbs. The cab I'm going to gig it with weighs 7kg or 15.4lbs.
So the amp is a third of the weight of the cab...

Edited by discreet

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1464033502' post='3056006']
...maybe they're a bit late to the lightweight amp party.
[/quote]

IIRC the very first class D amp I ever came across was a Peavey power amp some time in the early 90s. This can't be the first one they've made specifically for bass?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1464043293' post='3056128']

IIRC the very first class D amp I ever came across was a Peavey power amp some time in the early 90s. This can't be the first one they've made specifically for bass?
[/quote]
Nope, they did their first one about thirty years ago.