Why become a member? ×

Anyone got a Laurus?

pmjos

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1464169274' post='3057058']
They look great - definitely interested to hear anyone's experiences.

[url="http://www.laurus.it/en/"]http://www.laurus.it/en/[/url]
[/quote]

Always loved the look of these - not quite sure about the little flappy paddle on the end, though...

Jon.

I'm sure Laurus are amazing, but Federico makes an amazing sound on anything!
To be fair, I feel that the Laurus will sit up there with Shuker/ACG/Marleux/Wood&Tronics etc. Not horrendously priced, but excellent hand built basses.

Si

Thanks guys. I have spoken to Phil at Bass Gear and they have given up the dealership! Not for any negative reason. On the contrary, Phil said that they are outstanding basses and the asymmetric neck makes them really comfortable to play. He said that the sixer he had was one of the best he has played, more comfortable than many a four! . The problem was that people in the UK are very conventional and to paraphrase him the looks are 'marmite' The paddle head seems to put lots of players off.

Aesthetically there are lots of awful and dull designs out there but Luthiers need to earn money and if all we will buy are Fender copies then I guess Laurus won't sell here. On the other hand I happen to like marmite so I'm going to follow my gut instinct and see where it leads me.

I've written to Laurus and I'll see if they come back! in the meantime I'm going to do some more hunting.

Edited by pmjos

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I played three, of thee different periods: an early one with EMGs, a pretty old one fretless and a "modern" 4.
The old one sounded like it was made of rubber... but looked nice.
The fretless one sounded pretty good but hated the electronics and the action was poor, not sure if it was because of too many fingerboard dressings or bad hardware fitting.
The modern one was disappointing... and the dealer confirmed "Yeah, we only carry a couple of them each year as we sell them to local pros".

I like the design, though, and like the fact they're not clones. But they're too expensive for being CNC made instruments IMHO. The old ones (not exactly sure 'til what year) were hand crafted and looked really weird (in a positive way, at least to me). They seem to hold their value pretty well, though, so not a bad deal if you like it enough to justify the pricetag.
Strange the guy didn't get back to you, though... maybe he's away for holidays.

[quote name='Matte_black' timestamp='1470225489' post='3104218']
... They seem to hold their value pretty well, though, ...
[/quote]

Respectfully disagree on this. ...
A new latest generation Laurus 5 strings goes for around 4500 euros in italian shops, but if you go to www.mercatinomusicale.com youl'll find several used ones in the 3000-3500 region. Which drops down to 2000-2500 for the previous generation (not much difference with the latest) and below 2000 for older models.
But more important, it's not something that you'll move quickly.
Fact is that those things, at least in Italy, won't sell easily even if you throw in the package a "succulent young lady" for free (paraphrasing Frank Zappa here).