Why become a member? ×

USB to 9 volt adaptor

gazgoldstar

Hello everyone. I recently found out about this Irish company called Myvolts who are making power supply solutions. They currently have a Kickstarter project for their Ripcord. This is essentially a USB to 9 volt adaptor so that you can power your pedals from a phone charger or portable battery. It think this looks dead cool and I have backed it but the Kickstarter doesn't seem to be going that well hence me posting it here. They cost about £12. Here is the link:https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/48955335/ripcord-the-plug-n-play-anywhere-usb-power-cable?ref=discovery

How many pedals do you expect to run from a phone charger? As Chris says USB is 5V & if you practically double it up to 9V it's going to have as much power available as a doormouses fart, probably less!

Good luck with that :blink:

I haven't even read the link but can't see any problems with it damaging anything. I assume it's a male USB plug going to a charge pump, going to a pedal style 9v DC barrel - if so there would be no risk of plugging a USB device into the 9V supply.

Sounds a bit pointless when you could just buy a 9V supply for the same money though?

Looks interesting.

They seem to have done enough testing and trials to know that it works.

It wouldn't necessarily be of interest to me but for for a more technologically minded musician who uses a tablet or a laptop in a live situation I can see it being really valuable.

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1464087283' post='3056396']
it's going to have as much power available as a doormouses fart, probably less!
[/quote]

Mouse-fart powered pedal boards - I'd definitely invest in a Kickstarter campaign for one of those! (Might have to iron-out a few animal welfare issues first though) ;)

Very clever idea. You can use one of those powerbank USBs to power your gear instead of messing about with 9v rechargeable batteries and chargers etc.

Would be nice if a lot of electronic equipment started to go down the 5v supply route though. Although 5 volt batteries aren't that common. Yet.

[quote name='tonyquipment' timestamp='1464089186' post='3056422']
Nice idea but 5v to 9v? How many stepper uppers will you need?

It will just blow it off the wall won't it ?

Now u can probably charge phones from the 9v stepping down but the other way around is just ...entertaining to watch.
[/quote]

You just need a DC-DC step up. eBay is full of them at c£2.

Edited by TimR

As TimR has pointed out, this isn't about running your pedals from a phone charger, it's about running them from a USB power pack.

I've just bought one of these - £10 from Amazon: [url="https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B011LO5KOO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/url], and another £20 for a 16750 mAH USB power pack: [url="https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00OJXVDAU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1."]https://www.amazon.c...?ie=UTF8&psc=1.[/url]

That's about three times the capacity of the Pedaltrain Volto for about a third of the price. As a relatively light user of pedals I'm expecting this to last quite a few rehearsals before I need to recharge it.

Edited by Gottastopbuyinggear

I learned about Myvolts after I reviewed a five way Usb to 9volt cable for Sonic State. It powers all of my 9 volt Korg Volcas from a phone battery with no problem whatsoever. The Volcas use a different DC pin so I haven't tried it with my bass pedals. I was impressed though so I reckon this would be a cool solution. I am contemplating building a pedal board with some big USB battery built in so I recharge the whole board. With one USB jack. Each cable can provide 1000 mah from a single USB socket so I reckon you could daisy chain five pedals off one.

[quote name='tonyquipment' timestamp='1464089186' post='3056422']
Nice idea but 5v to 9v? How many stepper uppers will you need?

It will just blow it off the wall won't it ?

Now u can probably charge phones from the 9v stepping down but the other way around is just ...entertaining to watch.
[/quote]

I've got a 9v - 18v converter tip from Diago; this uses the same principle. Lots of pedals (EHX Glove for example) have the same circuit internally these days to get the increased headroom of 18v from a 9v supply.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1464097425' post='3056520']

I've got a 9v - 18v converter tip from Diago; this uses the same principle. Lots of pedals (EHX Glove for example) have the same circuit internally these days to get the increased headroom of 18v from a 9v supply.
[/quote]

Still gotta consider how many milliamps it will pump out .. It may not be enough to service the draw of the 9 volter

[quote name='tonyquipment' timestamp='1464100191' post='3056545']

Still gotta consider how many milliamps it will pump out .. It may not be enough to service the draw of the 9 volter
[/quote]

The USB specs say it should be able to draw 5A if connected to a charging port.