Why become a member? ×

The Ox isolated bass track video Won't Get Fooled Again

LZD56

[url="http://www.guitarworld.com/john-entwistles-isolated-bass-track-whos-wont-get-fooled-again-shepperton-film-studios-video/25619"]http://www.guitarwor...ios-video/25619[/url]

Tone for days & still sadly missed!

Great memories of seeing them top the bill at Charlton's Valley ground in the late 70's - what a day - Sensational Alex Harvey Band, Little Feat, The Outlaws & others I was too drunk from the previous night to remember :0)

love this video, sensational! No one will ever truly replicate this level of playing. Carries the whole song, you don't even have to know the song inside out to see which part he's playing.

Was that the Charlton gig were it was the loudest concert ever recorded? Or was that the mid 70s one? Must have been an amazing show!

Got a feeling it was about 1977.
Remember travelling up from Brighton to London with a mate. Slept all the way due to my hangover. Desperately needed the bog when we got into the ground. Everywhere was flooded due to heavy rain. Facilities at The Valley back then were pretty third world to put it kindly. Found out too late that there was no loo roll. Only piece of paper in my jeans was my ticket! Despite all that it was a fantastic day :D

[quote name='LZD56' timestamp='1464100776' post='3056552']
Got a feeling it was about 1977.
Remember travelling up from Brighton to London with a mate. Slept all the way due to my hangover. Desperately needed the bog when we got into the ground. Everywhere was flooded due to heavy rain. Facilities at The Valley back then were pretty third world to put it kindly. Found out too late that there was no loo roll. Only piece of paper in my jeans was my ticket! Despite all that it was a fantastic day :D
[/quote]

haha what a story!

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1464108581' post='3056625']
its unbelievable the amount of variations he puts in
[/quote]

indeed, he really developed his playing style - fast forward a few years and he had that typewriter technique as well! Although its hear as well, kind of

I think it's the way he makes something so complex and requiring such a high level of dexterity look so effortless. My favorite player by miles.
I was lucky enough to see him play live with The Who at Hyde Park in 1996 for their first ever live performance of Quadrophenia. It was a pretty spectacular show with some amazing guest performances but I remember spending the whole time staring at JE with my chin on the floor. I'd been playing less than a year at that point and couldn't believe what I was seeing. Not bad for my first ever gig!

The Charlton gig was 1976,40 years ago next week, I was there (and the one they did in 74) and remember the torrential rain all day. Everyone sang along to The Alex Harvey band playing Delilah. Roger Daltrey slipped over on all the rain on the stage as the band made their entrance,

[quote name='Buzzy' timestamp='1464123755' post='3056813']
The Charlton gig was 1976,40 years ago next week, I was there (and the one they did in 74) and remember the torrential rain all day. Everyone sang along to The Alex Harvey band playing Delilah. Roger Daltrey slipped over on all the rain on the stage as the band made their entrance,
[/quote]

So that's what my ticket looked like - I remember it wasn't big enough! :0)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Geddys nose' timestamp='1465164287' post='3065843']
Never seen this Clinic before,Very interesting.

[url="https://youtu.be/f-w20dp42oE"]https://youtu.be/f-w20dp42oE[/url]
[/quote]

it is! Amazing how he switches from pick to fingers in the way he does

I usually don't like Isolated Bass videos but that is one of the best I've seen.

Great rock tone. Very similar indeed to a tone I've recently discovered and currently using.

Through various trades part ex's against basses recently I've ended up with 5 amps (!) (.....luckily using one for band pa too) so have been experimenting with Bi Amping - I've got a great rock tone with an EBS Reidmar for the clean signal and an EBS CL450 for the dirty signal - great tone, never been happier with my rig, Genz Shuttle 6 also covers the dirty signal very effectively as well. Sounds great and really fills out my 4 piece band.

I do think you need a clean / dirty blend to get a good overdriven rock sound without loosing the bottom end.

Will have to make time to watch the Clinic (not usually a fan of 'name' clinics - please tell me it's worth an hour investing in a watch?

[quote name='bagsieblue' timestamp='1465232902' post='3066368']
I usually don't like Isolated Bass videos but that is one of the best I've seen.

Great rock tone. Very similar indeed to a tone I've recently discovered and currently using.

Through various trades part ex's against basses recently I've ended up with 5 amps (!) (.....luckily using one for band pa too) so have been experimenting with Bi Amping - I've got a great rock tone with an EBS Reidmar for the clean signal and an EBS CL450 for the dirty signal - great tone, never been happier with my rig, Genz Shuttle 6 also covers the dirty signal very effectively as well. Sounds great and really fills out my 4 piece band.

I do think you need a clean / dirty blend to get a good overdriven rock sound without loosing the bottom end.

Will have to make time to watch the Clinic (not usually a fan of 'name' clinics - please tell me it's worth an hour investing in a watch?
[/quote]

nice, would love to hear your rig! In my opinion its worth it, especially if you're a fan of him and The Who. It's a lot of Q&A with some interesting anecdotes. In terms of playing, he just jams on his own, but to a very high standard obviously, suppose you could learn by watching. He doesn't teach anything in a normal sesne