Why become a member? ×

Fender Rumble V3 - Are they repairable?

Guest MoJo

Guest MoJo

My Rumble 500v3 often makes a noise like bacon frying when I turn it on. More often than not, it will disappear during a gig (the noise, not the combo). I'm thinking that it may be a dry soldered joint, but a local amp repair company won't touch it. The guy joked on the phone that the 'D' in D Class stood for 'Don't want to know'. Fender Service Dept said that it 'might be worth looking at'.

Apart from the noise, it works perfectly and I love it to bits. Does the 'D' really stand for disposable? Is it repairable and if so, is it going to cost as much to repair as to buy another?

I'd thought about buying a backup head just in case it does go bang, but there's no external socket to allow me to use the combo as a speaker cabinet, bypassing the built in amp. Not sure where to go next :(

RealElectronics repaired my TC BG250 class D amp. [url="http://www.realelectronics.co.uk/"]Clickety-click[/url]. You could give 'em a call.

It was under warrenty, so I don't know the cost.

Edited by ColinB

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1464091899' post='3056464']
My Rumble 500v3 often makes a noise like bacon frying when I turn it on. More often than not, it will disappear during a gig (the noise, not the combo). I'm thinking that it may be a dry soldered joint, but a local amp repair company won't touch it. The guy joked on the phone that the 'D' in D Class stood for 'Don't want to know'. Fender Service Dept said that it 'might be worth looking at'.

Apart from the noise, it works perfectly and I love it to bits. Does the 'D' really stand for disposable? Is it repairable and if so, is it going to cost as much to repair as to buy another?

I'd thought about buying a backup head just in case it does go bang, but there's no external socket to allow me to use the combo as a speaker cabinet, bypassing the built in amp. Not sure where to go next :(
[/quote]

If you can access the cable to the speaker it should be easy enough to wire in a normalled jack socket such that the internal amp is disconnected if you plug in an external source.
Of course better if you can get it fixed.

Guest MoJo

[quote name='rmorris' timestamp='1464125587' post='3056833']

If you can access the cable to the speaker it should be easy enough to wire in a normalled jack socket such that the internal amp is disconnected if you plug in an external source.
Of course better if you can get it fixed.
[/quote]

It wouldn't be a bad idea to fit a socket anyway. Thanks

Guest MoJo

Took it to rehearsal tonight and gave the send and return sockets a good dowsing of electrical contact cleaner first. Completely silent.....fingers crossed