Why become a member? ×

Bass gas is back

Twincam

That didn't last long (two months).
I really fancy a rik 4003 despite never playing one, which I know is very dangerous. But I find myself lusting for one. And I know my girlfriend really likes my Jim fleeting bass and would be interested (it's the only long scale bass she has taken too) I would take a part ex, cash and her mij mustang bass, sell the mustang easy enough and I can make the rest of the figures work.

Anyone in the north east want to let me have a go of there rik 4003 or 4001? Before I make a huge mistake and find myself whining on here that I've went the wrong way again.

It's safer to just assume GAS will be an ever present in your life... GAS allows you those brief periods where it feels like you have everything you want, just to give you hope that being totally 100% with your gear is actually possible... :mellow:

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1464098888' post='3056533']
Definitely have a go on a Ric before taking the plunge... they are VERY different in both tone and playability to pretty much everything else.
[/quote]
This...I've never found a Ric that I liked (now waiting to be sued by Ric)

Definitely have a go on a Ric before taking the plunge... they are VERY different in both tone and playability to pretty much everything else.
[/quote]

This ^^^^^

I love my Rics, and for me they are [i]the[/i] bass. 4001 for me rather than the '03.

However, I have lost count of the times I've read on bass forums about players buying one, and selling it soon after because of....well, you name it. Tone, feel, ergonomics....

I personally find them exceptionally comfortable. However, if you're used to Fender-style contours and curving, proceed with caution!

I've owned a good number over my playing span. Some good, some exceptional, some less so. Never a bad one, just some less....QC'd than others!

Good luck with the journey. Love it or hate it, why not try it? :)

I had one in 80's and altho very nice to play it had a very limited tonal range for me.
Didn't keep it too long.
Many years later and I too have a lusting for a Midnight Blue or Blue sunburst 4003. The big difference now is that i have several basses to choose from at home if i need a change. I'm thinking a Ric is the one bass that's missing from my collection to make it complete.
Then there might be a Precision as well.
Another WAL would be nice and there's always Alembic to try before moving along to some of the other slightly more modern basses like Fodera, Roscoe, Sandberg, ACG, Ken Smith and oh so many more.
Mmmmm where do i start. Damn that GAS.

:lol: :angry: :blink: :( :lol:

Dave

I share your pain, I am lusting after one at the moment but I am struggling to justify spending well over a grand for a new one especially as I already have some lovely basses.

I know it will happen at some point, but I am still fighting the GAS for the moment

Just to add fuel to your GAS I played a couple in PMT Northampton the other year and was really impressed with them, both played far better that the copies I have owned.

If you do go for it, buy a used one (not on here, obvs) - that way you won't lose money if you don't like it & sell it on. Plus, any dodgy quality issues will ether have been dealt with or can be figured into what you pay for it.

Of course, the best basses of this type were made in Japan in the 70s. But technically they don't actually exist, so you can't buy them. Of course. :)

Jon.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1464102013' post='3056564']

This...I've never found a Ric that I liked (now waiting to be sued by Ric)
[/quote]

I absolutely adore everything about a Ric right up to the moment when it's sitting on my knee and I am playing it. Then I hate every single aspect of its ergonomics, feel and playing experience. Then it gets put back on the hanger in the shop and my heart goes, "Oooooh, it's so gorgeous..." Repeat ad nauseum.

[/quote]

Can't argue with this - I'll just add that IMHO it's also worth trying it in a standing playing position as well as sitting down. That's where I went wrong.

I have a 1982 4003 in jetglow, I bought it in 1995 to overcome my '1977 Bruce Foxton' obsession. I played one gig with it in 1995.It sounded bloomin awful!!! I stuck with my 77 Precision Bass with maple neck (like Bruce's) for the next 21 years. I decided to gig the 4003 again in February this year.My rig is far better than back in the 90's, Aguilar & Eden. I played two smallish shows 250 capacity, it growled, it looked cool on the gig photo's. It was finally giving me pay back. I took it to the next show 400 capacity, big stage. It sounded like ****, I managed a few numbers with it, it was swiftly put on its stand and I finished the show with my Harley B reserve road bass. It sounded great....ha ha. I'll give the 4003 another go in 2035 (maybe)!

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1464185955' post='3057335']
As no one has posted this yet......

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4ODN1c_6ik[/media]

hilarious rage against the clank stick

But in the interests of restoking the GAS

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xoj1zX1_F0[/media]
[/quote]

So I am guessing the guy in the first clip is not a huge fan then! his comments did make me smile

They are definitely a "try before you buy" bass, and try as many as you can too.

I lusted after one for years before taking the plunge on a 4003, gutted when I had to sell it, but times were tough. Thing was then what to replace it with?

Bought another Jazz, but really didn't get on with it after the Ric, so started to track down Faker's. Bought one, and never looked back.

Would love another Ric mind, but would definitely try as many out as I could.

[quote name='BasicBird' timestamp='1464506144' post='3059845']
What does Gas mean?
[/quote]
Gear acquisition syndrome
The idea that your playing will improve beyond all recognition if you dispose of a perfectly acceptable bass and buy a different one