Why become a member? ×

Love it, love it all.

Bobthedog

I am on the train home and just thinking how much I enjoy playing bass. I do not have quick fingers, my tone and volume are questionable but I just love picking up a bass and noodling.

I have yet to gig and will not be the next Trujillo, Sting or Pastorious but, I do not care.

So for those of you who think that only gigging players are real or that you have to be able to slap or play a certain number of strings, go boil your heads.

I am happy playing bass and making music. That is all.

[quote name='Bobthedog' timestamp='1464112006' post='3056662']
I am on the train home and just thinking how much I enjoy playing bass. I do not have quick fingers, my tone and volume are questionable but I just love picking up a bass and noodling.

I have yet to gig and will not be the next Trujillo, Sting or Pastorious but, I do not care.

So for those of you who think that only gigging players are real or that you have to be able to slap or play a certain number of strings, go boil your heads.

[/quote]

If bedroom noodling is what your into, go for it.

Blue

[font=Arial][size=2]I like your attitude, making music should be enjoyable and you couldn’t have picked a better instrument to enjoy making that music on. :)[/size][/font][font=Arial][size=2] [/size][/font][font=Arial][size=2][/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=2] [/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=2]By the way, if you like noodling, why not pay a visit to the Basschat Noodle Bar and share a noodle or several with us?[/size][/font]

[/quote]

Those of us that are gigging bass players and especially those of us that do this for a living are certainly not better or more real than the "bedroom noodler".

Some of the best bass players I know, don't gig and have no interest in gigging.

However, as gigging bass players most of us are different with different aspirations, priorities,commitments goals and agendas.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Agwin' timestamp='1464114254' post='3056685']
[font=Arial][size=2]I like your attitude, making music should be enjoyable and you couldn’t have picked a better instrument to enjoy making that music on. :)[/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=2]By the way, if you like noodling, why not pay a visit to the Basschat Noodle Bar and share a noodle or several with us?[/size][/font]
[/quote]

This is what I was saying, albeit in an overly effusive way. Music should be fun and how that fun is achieved is irrelevant.

Don't get me wrong about the gigging, I will do so and have my first gig in July, however, that is not why I play. I am also striving to improve, hence taking the Rockschool music grades. The overarching thing is; it must be fun and for me it is. No specific thread or post has made me start this one, I just sometimes wonder if we occasionally forget it is meant to be fun.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1464115880' post='3056708']
Those of us that are gigging bass players and especially those of us that do this for a living are certainly not better or more real than the "bedroom noodler".

Some of the best bass players I know, don't gig and have no interest in gigging.

However, as gigging bass players most of us are different with different aspirations, priorities,commitments goals and agendas.

Blue
[/quote]

I did mean to put a smiley after the boiling head comment. It was in jest and just to reiterate that musical fun can be had in any venue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1464115880' post='3056708']

Blue
[/quote]Maybe i have read your post wrong. But imo there is only two word's you should have used for gigging musicians Blue. Commitment's and Priorities . The rest of those word's are applicable to any one who plays the bass, or any other instrument.

With you Bob, there's nothing like playing the bass - in whatever situation is right for you. I've had a spring in my step all week as we got a last minute gig for Saturday night, and I'll be doing a little Sunday afternoon jam. So no glory, or big paycheck for me, just deep enjoyment :D

[/quote]

+1 my friend.

I used to regret how my work prevents being in a band. Now, after reading more about the late nights and in-fighting. I'm happy to be out of all that and play tunes on my bass and really love the tone.

[quote name='Bobthedog' timestamp='1464117317' post='3056726']

I did mean to put a smiley after the boiling head comment. It was in jest and just to reiterate that musical fun can be had in any venue
[/quote]

Agreed,

The common denomination is fun.

I go to every gig with fun being at the top of the list. Also whatever I can do make sure everyone in the Band has fun too.

Personality issues, drama, focusing on petty nonsense about things we don't like or what we won't do is for amateurs and newbies.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Bobthedog' timestamp='1464117061' post='3056719']
This is what I was saying, albeit in an overly effusive way. Music should be fun and how that fun is achieved is irrelevant.

Don't get me wrong about the gigging, I will do so and have my first gig in July, however, that is not why I play. I am also striving to improve, hence taking the Rockschool music grades. The overarching thing is; it must be fun and for me it is. No specific thread or post has made me start this one, I just sometimes wonder if we occasionally forget it is meant to be fun.
[/quote]

I like noodling but once you start gigging the fun really starts. Enjoy your first gig :)

[quote name='Bobthedog' timestamp='1464117061' post='3056719']
Don't get me wrong about the gigging, I will do so and have my first gig in July,
[/quote]

Where and when dear boy, would love to pop over and shout encouragement if I'm free. I'm only up the road too!

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1464119888' post='3056765']
Where and when dear boy, would love to pop over and shout encouragement if I'm free. I'm only up the road too!
[/quote]

Somewhat of a cheat as it is in a private party I am giving - so a captive audience who will have to cheer me! Thank you though.

[/quote]
Yes, with you, the odd OM night is nice but even looking at my basses makes me happy

Edited by Geek99

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1464117930' post='3056734']
I used to regret how my work prevents being in a band. Now, after reading more about the late nights and in-fighting. I'm happy to be out of all that and play tunes on my bass and really love the tone.
[/quote]

I love playing bass, even if I wasn't gigging. But I love gigging, its very enjoyable. My night last saturday with my new band was late, and it was fantastic. There was a whole group of people dancing and enjoying themselves. That was fantastic too, and they were enjoying themselves dancing to us playing music. And you actually get paid for it. What could be better!

But ultimately, music is a gift however you choose to use it.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1464117323' post='3056728']
Maybe i have read your post wrong. But imo there is only two word's you should have used for gigging musicians Blue. Commitment's and Priorities . The rest of those word's are applicable to any one who plays the bass, or any other instrument.
[/quote]

Correct,in your opinion.

Blue

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1464117930' post='3056734']

+1 my friend.

[/quote]

My work was interfering with my gigging schedule. So, I quit working and now play for a living. I've never been happier.

I love late nights and my band is about gigging,having fun and making money. There's no drama or personality issues in my band.

Blue

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1464123591' post='3056811']
I love playing bass, even if I wasn't gigging. But I love gigging, its very enjoyable. My night last saturday with my new band was late, and it was fantastic. There was a whole group of people dancing and enjoying themselves. That was fantastic too, and they were enjoying themselves dancing to us playing music. And you actually get paid for it. What could be better!

ever you choose to use itBut ultimately, music is a gift how.
[/quote]
Yes!We are so lucky.

[/quote]

No better reason to do it. Money, some might argue, is. IMHO that makes music work rather than play. It is still a good reason to perform but is it as much fun?

[/quote]

Hooray for a bit of positivity :) That's the way to look at it :)

I'm guilty of letting all that other crap get in the way of my enjoyment of it... :mellow:

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1464117968' post='3056736']
Personality issues, drama, focusing on petty nonsense about things we don't like or what we won't do is for amateurs and newbies.
[/quote]

Well done Blue. That was hardly patronising at all.

Heeheehee.

[quote name='Bobthedog' timestamp='1464120346' post='3056774']
Somewhat of a cheat as it is in a private party I am giving - so a captive audience who will have to cheer me! Thank you though.
[/quote]

I think we all do this sort of gig at some point or other. It's all good experience. Just tell the doorman to search guests in case they've brought rotten fruit to throw at yer.

Oh and GOOD LUCK! Have a blast.

There's something about the sound of bass - how it brings warmth and depth to the music - it's the best seat in the band.

I'm not much of an 'at home' player - I've always gigged and actually done very little recording in my life. I always make good progress with my playing when I'm learning new songs with a band, and I don't seem to have the motivation to do it on my own at home without that purpose. I quite envy those who will just get a bass out at home and play along with stuff.

For me, gigging is everything. The chance that the band will get in the zone - when the drummer and I look at each other and we know that we're really flying - those sublime moments are worth all the hassle of lugging the gear out, setting up, hauling it all back out to the car afterwards in the rain, creeping in at 1.45 am so you don't wake the wife...

I hope your gig goes well in July - and may you get the bug for it!