Why become a member? ×

Cable stop on Warwick Corvette

Sparks

Hi, tried to put some slightly heavier strings on my Warwick corvette (about 20yrs old), but the E string won't fit in the slot in the cable stop. It's obviously an end stop of a right handed bass, which is pretty annoying considering the premium we pay for lefty instruments!

So quick question, can you get proper left handed replacements, or should I just get out the file...

Thanks, Mark

The slots are a uniform width aren't they (ie there isn't a RH or LH option).

How far out is it? I've used a pair of pliers to squeeze the end of the string when I've had B-strings not fit into my 5-string before - has worked fine & is much less invasive than filing the bridge tail piece!

Another option is tapered strings...

The tail piece are slots are the same size for each string on a warwick, so no difference in part on RH and LH basses.

I recommend using tapered strings for the very heavy ones - if it's too big for the slot it's probably too big to intonate properly once it's over the saddle anyway unless you have high action across the strings (even if it does go in the slot!).
I use a tapered .135 on my 5-string. It's not really an issue with the Warwick tail piece - there's just a limit to how big an un-tapered string can be before you run into problems with action and intonation - so, a big string not fitting in the slot isn't really the problem. It may be worth forcing the string in there, but I can't imagine it will be in tune up the neck when you start fretting notes.

PS - I am surprised your E doesn't fit in there though - what gauge is it?

Edited by Sam Warren

I'd never even heard of tapered strings.....

I think I can only get a 95in, 100+ doesn't want to even with some encouragement. Unless I will drop in more once under tension?

Edited by Sparks