Why become a member? ×

N Sadowsky BD

M@23

I turned 30 earlier in the week. I'd decided a while ago that I was going to ask for a bit of cash and part ex an old bass and get myself something (very) nice, 1) to mark the occasion and 2) it's now or never!
I'd looked at everything that was out there, made my mind up and changed it several times over and then got the chance to play a Sadowsky. It was a 4 string and I was after a 5. But I really liked it and hours of research later decided it could be a good option. Some of the other options were Mayones and the new Fender Elite. So today I made the trip to Guitar Guitar in Epsom to try them all out. The Sadowsky was by a margin the most expensive, so it's not the fairest comparison. But in my hands it just felt better. It was the only one that was 'perfect'; the frets, neck pocket, balance, feel and sound. There was nothing I didn't like about it. So, I'm now the proud owner of a Sadowsky MV5. I've got 10 gigs over the next month and can't wait to get to know it better!

Terrible mobile pics:
[URL=http://s1240.photobucket.com/user/mattdigweed/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160525_180834_zpsodcgevgw.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg488/mattdigweed/Mobile%20Uploads/20160525_180834_zpsodcgevgw.jpg[/IMG][/URL]l
[URL=http://s1240.photobucket.com/user/mattdigweed/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160525_180729_zps9qciex5w.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg488/mattdigweed/Mobile%20Uploads/20160525_180729_zps9qciex5w.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
[URL=http://s1240.photobucket.com/user/mattdigweed/media/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_20160525-180942_zps7b7ju1gh.png.html][IMG]http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg488/mattdigweed/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_20160525-180942_zps7b7ju1gh.png[/IMG][/URL]

Haha! I literally did the same thing a few weeks ago! Congratulations man.

I bought a five string NYC from Bass Direct for my 'I'm turning 30' moment. I bought it about a month ago but haven't played it yet as it was delivered to Orkney and I'm in Glasgow until Saturday.

I've had a 4 string Metro for over six years now. Great bass.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1464200729' post='3057533']
1: that is lovely.

2: Anyone aged 40 or under who says "now or never" needs beating with their lovely new bass. ;)

Smeg I feel old.
[/quote]

Haha. Thanks. What I mean is, I can only justify it with the wife because of the 'event' of turning 30. I will, however, try play the same card on my 40th and indeed 50th... Edited by M@23

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1464201564' post='3057549']
Haha! I literally did the same thing a few weeks ago! Congratulations man.

I bought a five string NYC from Bass Direct for my 'I'm turning 30' moment. I bought it about a month ago but haven't played it yet as it was delivered to Orkney and I'm in Glasgow until Saturday.

I've had a 4 string Metro for over six years now. Great bass.
[/quote]

Oh cool. What finish did you go for? The Fender and Mayones I compared it to were nice, but it just felt like the Sadowsky was the finished product. The build quality and attention to detail is ace.

Nice one. I just love the natural look. I have 2 Metros, a PJ and a UV70, both natural 4-stringers, and they are without doubt the best basses I have ever owned. They feel and sound just right. I'm always getting good comments from the band.

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1464213846' post='3057714']
Nice one. I just love the natural look. I have 2 Metros, a PJ and a UV70, both natural 4-stringers, and they are without doubt the best basses I have ever owned. They feel and sound just right. I'm always getting good comments from the band.
[/quote]

Natural UV70's are great funk basses - they just nail that sound perfectly and the natural finish adds a really authentic late 70's vibe :)

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1464200729' post='3057533']
1: that is lovely.

2: Anyone aged [s]40[/s] [b]50[/b] or under who says "now or never" needs beating with [s]their lovely new bass[/s] [b]my zimmer frame[/b]. ;)

Smeg I feel [s]old[/s] [b]older[/b].
[/quote]
Fixed.

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1464203044' post='3057581']
Oh cool. What finish did you go for? The Fender and Mayones I compared it to were nice, but it just felt like the Sadowsky was the finished product. The build quality and attention to detail is ace.
[/quote]

I went went for the MV4 59 sunburst when I got the Metro. I love it so much that the NYC is the exact same finish but with one extra string. I love the natural ones too.

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1464301920' post='3058379']

I went went for the MV4 59 sunburst when I got the Metro. I love it so much that the NYC is the exact same finish but with one extra string. I love the natural ones too.
[/quote]

Agreed, my MV4 is a work of art.

Edited by therealting

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1464244138' post='3057787']
That's lovely! Always fancied a Sadowsky (even took time out on honeymoon in NYC to visit with the man himself!) but just never pulled the trigger...
[/quote]

I took a 3 hour detour during our honeymoon to pick up a MM5. My wife still smiles when she thinks of it.

OK, she does not.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1464213163' post='3057706']
Sadowsky basses really come to life in a live gigging situation.

If you like it in he shop and t home just wait until you hear it with the band at volume :)
[/quote]

Cheers Barrie. Gigged it last night. It's great. The low notes below E are fantastic and I found myself using them more than I have with other basses!
It's such a joy to play. Loved the VTC too, found myself using that more than I initially thought.
You're right though, it just had its place in the mix. Our guitarist used a beautiful old Strat - and the whole band sounded better than it has before. Everything sat in its own space. The Sadowsky pre is outrageous, and the whole instrument is so responsive to how you play.

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1464383372' post='3059145']
Cheers Barrie. Gigged it last night. It's great. The low notes below E are fantastic and I found myself using them more than I have with other basses!
It's such a joy to play. Loved the VTC too, found myself using that more than I initially thought.
You're right though, it just had its place in the mix. Our guitarist used a beautiful old Strat - and the whole band sounded better than it has before. Everything sat in its own space. The Sadowsky pre is outrageous, and the whole instrument is so responsive to how you play.
[/quote]

Excellent!

I really like the VTC option with a push / pull active passive bass. On one of my basses I have the passive tone set up to be really 'old school' with the tone wound quite far back and then using the pre more on the active setting.

I spent a lot of time talking to Roger about his pre. He spent ages perfecting it based on real user input to get it just 'right' for gigging players.

My Sadowsky is the only 34" scale bass I ever gig with these days :)

[quote name='therealting' timestamp='1464303431' post='3058392']
Agreed, my MV4 is a work of art.
[/quote]

Nice! My Metro has the 'mint' guard. I think I prefer the tort myself as that looks brilliant.

Just managed to play the NYC 5 for the first time. Really love it. To my ears anyway, it is actually a lot sweeter and more vintage sounding than my Metro which is pretty modern, snappy and clinical sounding (in a good way). I understand that the pickups in the NYC are single coils rather than the hum-cancelling ones that are in my Metro so this might be a reason why.

A little bit of wear and tear as well which is to be expected with a used bass. Without the wear and tear I probably wouldn't have been able to afford it though (approx £100 more than the buying a new Metro equivalent). Fit and finish is exceptional on the NYC as it is on my Metro.

I prefer the less 'bleached' neck on the NYC compared to the Metro one I have which is pretty plain. The quilted top is lovely on the NYC and because of the chambering in the body it is ridiculously light and well balanced.

I've tried to add a couple of pics but I am crap with technology so have probably made a mess of it!

I won't gush any more otherwise it will get like Talkbass and we will have to start handing out membership club numbers and the like.

[attachment=220150:PicMonkey Collageguitar2.jpg]

Edited by thodrik

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1464454652' post='3059613']
[/quote]

That's a beauty. I read a bit about the single coils. I love the Metros pickups, they're not very traditional jazz, but that's not what I was after. I think you do get a bit of that back, the more vintage tones as you found with the NYC.