Why become a member? ×

SOLD (pending): Patrick Eggle 5 string, one-off, gorgeous!
£575

Stuee

Here we have a lovely Patrick Eggle 5 string bass with EMG active pickups, ebony fingerboard with 24 frets, Sperzel locking tuners, and a beautiful blue/green burst lacquer finish over a lovely quilted maple top, and matching headstock. She really is a stunning bass, especially when the light catches that wood through the lacquer.

It was made in Coventry, England in April 1995 (see pic of neck stamp).

I bought it second hand from a guy who lived near the old Patrick Eggle HQ in Coventry, who told me the bass had been custom made for one of the managers there. Seems plausible as it definitely isn't a production model, and it has a quirk or two (well, one: the unfinished portion at the bottom of the neck).

It's a fantastic bass and has seen plenty of action with me all over the world. I've used it mainly for the Vanessa Mae gig (which should give you an idea of how versatile and playable it is), but also some other 5 string applications, Russ Ballard, Rachel Fuller.

The controls consist of two volumes and a tone knob. Very simple, but also still pretty versatile and this bass will produce a good gamut of different tones. It records great and rocks live too.

It's in pretty great condition, barring the odd small surface scratch here and there, and a couple of dings in the lacquer. There's one small one on the headstock (see pic) and a larger one at the bottom on the back which can't be seen from the front at all so doesn't show.

I'm in Bournemouth but would be willing to drive a reasonable distance for fuel money if you want to meet. Otherwise I am happy to ship at buyer's expense (and risk) via their choice of courier.

The bass comes in a battered but serviceable SKB hard case (free of charge).

34" scale
47mm at the nut
70mm at the saddles, which gives an average string spacing of 17.5mm
Weight is a very comfortable 3.9kg / 8lbs 12oz

Oh, and I'm selling because I now have three 5 string basses and that's two too many!

Here she is :wub:

EDIT 28/10/2016: PRICE DROPPED TO £500 (firm)

Edited by Stuee

Thanks for the tip. I've updated the listing to include these measurements :)

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1464214446' post='3057720']
Great looking bass of undoubted quality. Some info that might help sale: String spacing at bridge, scale length and nut width.
[/quote]

These were great well built instruments,i remember eggle and gordon smiths were very well made.Craved after an eggle guitar as a schoolboy in the 90s,was just a bit cooler and was like a les paul jnr with mother of toilet seat pick guard.

I used to play Eggle guitars. By far the best on the market at the time, in my opinion. Got to sell my Ibanez Artcore 5 string first but have a bump on me

Edited by 6feet7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

[quote name='jassbass' timestamp='1467282229' post='3082455']
Hi any sound clips or vids? Thanks
[/quote]

Not really mate, sorry. Here's a clip of a shambles of a Vanessa Mae gig at Westonbirt Arboretum a few years ago. The guitarist got stuck in Poland so everything went a bit doolally, but you can just about hear the Eggle on my 'solo'.

There's quite a lot on YouTube of this bass but it's usually in large venues on cellphone cameras so no use really.

Anyway, here 'tis, for what it's worth...

[url="https://youtu.be/-B1MUZLL604?t=1m28s"]https://youtu.be/-B1MUZLL604?t=1m28s[/url]

I bought an Eggle Berlin in about '95 from Coventry, but had to sell it during some crisis or other. Recently I found one in Cash Converters at a silly price so grabbed it. You may not know there's a users' web site http://patrickeggleguitars.org/smf/eggles/ which is independent of the current brand owners. You might do well to advertise the bass there. From the site I learned that the prized models were made up until about '98. I think this is a Milan and though I've seen others with unpainted necks like yours, the control layout is unlike any other Milan, so it may well be a one-off.

• 3 months later...

[quote name='donzo44' timestamp='1477985363' post='3165651']
I have a very nice Fender Jazz 1987 MiJ to trade. It has custom made Hotrod pickups and set up by Bill Puplett.
Ps . I'm working with your boss today , Mr Angilly.
[/quote]

Hey, well I'm really trying to raise a bit of money for a motorcycling related purchase, but I don't own a jazz currently. Might be worth PMing me a few pics, ya never know 😉
P.S. Hi to Neil, but he ain't my boss! haha