Why become a member? ×

Fender QC.

AlpherMako4

If you mean the American stuff then I think they have. I've played Fenders since I started playing in '96 - my 2013 American Standard Jazz 4 and 2014 American Deluxe Jazz 5 are both superb instruments. Having said that I still don't think Fender are by any means perfect because I still had to go through several of the same models basses before actually buying these because they were noticeably different to one another.

Edited by thebassist

I played a few of the American Vintage range last year and they were all phenomenal instruments, CS quality in my opinion, and great tone from all three. I tried a Adam Clayton a few months ago and whilst it was all put together well it was dull as dishwater. Like most brands you get some good ones and you get some great ones and occasionally you get garbage.

Edited by NJE

From a Mexican Fender point of view, I can say that the 2013 Precision I have is top quality, I cant find a fault on it. Its well made, sounds like a great Precision and is solid as a rock.

In the interest of balance though I saw a Mexican Jazz Bass in PMT Leeds and the string spacing at the nut was all over the place, I don't know how it got through QC. As a result there was a huge gap between the E and the end of the fretboard all the way down the neck.

So as always I guess it is best to try a few out and play before you pay wherever possible. I would have been really unhappy if I had bought that particular Jazz online. I am sure there is a much higher proportion out there that are put together well though.

It IS much better than it used to be, probably 2008 onwards as noted above. Just be careful to check everything, in person if you can, or indeed using the return policy if needs be. I've still found issues but in general it is much better.

I've actually found better QC with their guitars, e.g. a MIM Baja Telecaster (beautiful guitar, much better than my old MIA 99/00 Tele) which is just outstanding.

Had a few issues when they rushed out the Sherwood Green Johnny Marr Signature Jaguars - I tried a few and the nitro was very poor. Sounded stunning but my MIM Baja Tele put it to shame for fit and finish.

It only took Fender from 1966 to hear what their customers were saying.

Even with good QC Fender will still put out some instruments that don't meet the standard. With an output of something over 200,000 instruments a year it's always going to be a possibility.

Having seen a lot at BassGear i'd agree that '08 was the beginning of a better standard across the board for USA models and from 2010 onwards things got a lot more uniform.

The Vintage RI models stepped up a notch when the new models were introduced in 2013. Oddly there were a few models from the RI range with slightly dodgier QC before this. '13 and onwards basses were definitely better with upgraded pickups and a more authentic tone.

Non USA standards are probably a little more wayward and you sometimes find a bass with sharp frets, some bridge issues and the odd dodgy neck but these are a lot rarer than they used to be.

Overall you still need to try and try before you buy, especially in terms of getting the sound you want, but the USA instruments shouldn't really have any basic QC issues now :)

I've got a CS and it is a pile of pooh compared to my other super Jazzes.
That said there is something about that I like..which is why I bought it..
whether I'll ever 'love' it though, I'm not sure.

I would think an earlier CS should be on par with a 2008 or later American ..?

What that says about Fender QC now, I don't know.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1464299931' post='3058366']
Huge mass production is inevitably going to knock out some bad instruments.
[/quote]

Exactly. Fender are so popular that just by the sheer amount of them out there you are more likely to come across a bad one than any other brand. I tried a new Elite Jazz V yesterday, it was great. The neck pocket wasn't 100% perfect but the frets and finish were very good; and it sounded and felt really nice. Plus the low B was better than any Fender I've played before.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1464256071' post='3057898']
From similar threads on Talkbass Fender turned a QC corner around 2008.
[/quote]

Yep, the 2008 onwards US basses were a great step up, and the 2012 onwards even better. The Mexican basses from 2012 onwards are also very good. Then of course there are the Road Worns - not read anything bad about these.

I bought my USA P bass new and now matter how I set it up, I couldnt get it to play like I wanted. In the end, I took it to Andrew at Chandlers in Kew, who took one look at it and told me that it had a typical Fender hump at the top of the neck. He sorted it out and now it plays like butter! :ph34r:
I dont know wether thats a QC issue, or just the way they are these days.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1464299931' post='3058366']
Huge mass production is inevitably going to knock out some bad instruments.
[/quote]

Not applicable to Custom Shop though, surely....? altho I wonder how different they are to the Deluxe type range below... as they seem to use quite a few similar/same parts..??

I would guess the price difference to be around £1400 and where does that go... fretboard upgrade..?? paint job..?? hmmmmm...!!!

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1464430471' post='3059381']

Not applicable to Custom Shop though, surely....? altho I wonder how different they are to the Deluxe type range below... as they seem to use quite a few similar/same parts..??

I would guess the price difference to be around £1400 and where does that go... fretboard upgrade..?? paint job..?? hmmmmm...!!!
[/quote]

I've often wondered that myself, the quartersawn neck is the only real obvious upgrade, if you like that kind of neck that is as some find the tension too tight. But even a QS neck doesn't cost THAT much extra. Of course the relicing does set you back too on those models.

On another point, I bought a new USA Std Jazz Bass yesterday. Those that know me know that I usually buy CS or vintage, but I found one that stood out to me above the others and it's the perfect workhorse, which is all I need it for really. I'm not particularly into reissues either so this bass made sense.

And yes, the QC is excellent and I can't fault it at all. It only needed very minor truss rod and string height adjustments and the nut is cut very well.

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1464454795' post='3059614']
I tried an American Elite Jazz bass a few weeks ago, it was really lovely.
[/quote]
Don't know how that compares but I've played a few Am Deluxes and I think for the money now.. £950-1100 is ok... not fantastic but ok...
but a CS will set you back around £2800 iirc... and for that price they get slaughtered by the likes of Martin P...
If I compare my 10 yr old CS to a Sei, the CS is a plank..
I get that MP is an exceptional builder but even so..!!!

Just my 2p

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1464455552' post='3059622']

Don't know how that compares but I've played a few Am Deluxes and I think for the money now.. £950-1100 is ok... not fantastic but ok...
but a CS will set you back around £2800 iirc... and for that price they get slaughtered by the likes of Martin P...
If I compare my 10 yr old CS to a Sei, the CS is a plank..
I get that MP is an exceptional builder but even so..!!!

Just my 2p
[/quote]

I cant speak for the CS stuff, but... When I got my Sadowsky I played it back to back against Elites, Mayones and Lakland Skylines. The Sadowsky was a step up in every regard, but it should be for at least £500 more. It was the only bass where everything was perfect. The only real thing with the Elite was that the neck pocket wasn't that clean. Otherwise, it was really well put together and just came down to personal preferences. The neck was too slim for me, the sound wasn't what I was after etc. The Mayones was very well built too. It was seriously heavy and had awful neck dive though, but with the Aguilar electronics sounded absolutely fantastic.
Maybe it's a price point thing, there will always be compromises somewhere.

Edited by M@23

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1464460454' post='3059655']

I cant speak for the CS stuff, but... When I got my Sadowsky I played it back to back against Elites, Mayones and Lakland Skylines. The Sadowsky was a step up in every regard, but it should be for at least £500 more. It was the only bass where everything was perfect. The only real thing with the Elite was that the neck pocket wasn't that clean. Otherwise, it was really well put together and just came down to personal preferences. The neck was too slim for me, the sound wasn't what I was after etc. The Mayones was very well built too. It was seriously heavy and had awful neck dive though, but with the Aguilar electronics sounded absolutely fantastic.
Maybe it's a price point thing, there will always be compromises somewhere.
[/quote]

Just to balance this viewpoint, I had a beautiful Sadowsky PJ which I sold because I preferred the tone and feel of a '11 Fender AmDlx Jazz. The Sadowsky was very nice in every way, but I couldn't gel with the tone of that bass. In retrospect it was probably down to my technique, or the lack of mids, but either way it was a bass that didn't respond well to the way I played. The Fender has a mid cut/boost which hits the spot for me, but even in passive mode I prefer it to the Sadowsky. In terms of build quality, I couldnt tell much of a difference between the 2. They were both pretty much perfect. So it's just down to personal preference I think.

Things to 'upgrade' on the CS/Am D would be the pre amp, IMO.
Agricultural to say the best..:lol:
Pickups not too bad altho since my bass isn't passive, the jury could still be out on that.
Bridge.... I have a preference for top loads, which is probably the main reason I'll swap but
I sure wont miss the bridge either.
Neck mid hump... :lol: true.

The tuners need sorting as one or two things missing so may as well do them as well..:lol:

Why did I buy it...hmmm it does have a little something and I'll keep the original kit, of course.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1464344624' post='3058610']
The worst part of all this is that the prices have rocketed AGAIN.

Since when were Roadworn basses almost £1200?!?!?
[/quote]

WTF, has the price of sandpaper gone up or something?!