Why become a member? ×

Cleaning ebony fretboard... recomendations?

CamdenRob

I know this has been covered before, but I couldn't find what I wanted via the search so it's another thread I'm afraid...

The ebony fretboard on my Wal is starting to look a bit scruffy after a year of heavy use and I want to clean it up a bit. I'm assuming I'll not get it back to the smooth black sheen it had when I first picked it up but I'd like to tidy it up a bit.

I have some of that dunlop lemon oil stuff, is that the way to go?

Edited by CamdenRob

Urgh lemon oil.

Give it a clean with water (damp cloth) then oil with boiled linseed oil, much better. Natural and i find it brings up wood better also seems to protect better from little scuffs. Can be bought cheaper and in greater volume.
Lemon oil seems to dry out faster, it does smell nice though.

Edited by Twincam

Assuming it's fretless? (Can't remember any fretted ebony Wals)
I'd double check with Wal, but I used to do my Wal gently with 0000 wire wool, or if you have a sanding block of thr right radius, then 1000 grade wet and dry, again, lightly, just enough to clean the surface up.
Oil if you wish, but I don't bother on my current fretless
Lucky man, look after it!
Harry

My double bass repairman used and advised to use (Yamaha) Bore Oil on my ebony fingerboard. It is usually used by woodwind players. Oil on a rag drawn through the instrument to keep the wood in good order considering all the 'moisture' that gets blown into it. As per usual, dab some on a piece of rag and apply, not onto the wood straight from the bottle. A 40ml bottle recently cost be around £7 online.