Why become a member? ×

Tech Help - Bass has no output in active mode - See photos inside

Looking for Tech Help on an annoying issue please.

I have an Ibanez bass , passive output is fine, switch to active and no output. Nothing at all, no sound, no hum - nothing.

The original switch felt a bit iffy so its been replaced yesterday - still no output in active!
Battery is fine and have checked with a voltage tester and power is getting through to the loom.
No obvious breakages in the wires.

I want to rule out the switch or switch wiring first.
Could somebody please advise how a DPDT 2 way toggle switch for passive / active should be wired please.
I copied the old wiring on the old switch when putting in the new switch, maybe this was incorrect.

After the switch, the loom runs into a EQ PCB Board - The Ibanez [color=#636363][font=Raleway,]EQB-IID[/font][/color]
2 Band EQ
Once I'm happy the switch is wired up correctly / working as it should my next port of call will be the EQ PCB.
Everything 'looks' ok with this, but if it the problem is with this realise I will have to drop in a new pre amp.

So, first step please guys - how a DPDT 2 way toggle switch for passive / active should be wired up.
I'll pop a picture of the cavity and the switch up soon if that helps.

Edited by bagsieblue

Thanks for reply - I'm useless at this type of thing...so to reply as best I can.

If we say the switch has two halves of 3 rows....from the first pic:

Left hand side:
Top - Empty
Middle - White goes to Vol Pot
Bottom - Orange - goes to "bottom side" of Preamp (PCB) board with many wires, (right hand side of last pic in Original post above)

Right hand side:
Top - Empty
Middle - Brown - to Jack, can see this in first pic
Bottom - Purple - goes to "top side" of Preamp (PCB) board with fewer wires, left hand side of last pic in Original post above)

Question on the Preamp (PCB) board, have I got the Preamp Input and Output the correct way around?

Edited by bagsieblue

Looking at your first pic the DPDT switch also has a bare connecting wire from the middle (brown) terminal to the 'empty terminal beside the white wire. This all looks good.

Selecting 'passive' connects the white wire directly to the jack (via the brown wire). Selecting 'active' connects the white wire to the red wire which should go to the input of the preamp. In this switch position the output of the preamp (purple) is connected to the jack (via the brown wire).

I have no clue if the red and purple wires are connected the right way round to the preamp board!

What is the Ibanez bass model and year?

Thanks for the input - by red wire, do you mean the one I called orange??

From the last pic of the PCB, few wires on the left hand side, lots of wires on the right hand side (as pictured), would this give any clue as to which would be the input and the output??

Sorry yes orange. No the pic of the PCB doesn't help without a wiring diagram. What model and year is the bass? Wiring diagrams for some Ibanez basses (1994 to 2008) are available here - [url="http://www2.ibanez.com/support/wiringdiagrams"]http://www2.ibanez.com/support/wiringdiagrams[/url]

Great - thanks for the link - SR1000, tried to input the details and the following table popped up.

I assume the battery has been in the wrong way and fried the PCB??

Copy and paste:

[b] IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTICE[/b]

[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3][center]9-volt battery compartment for 2005-06 Soundgear (SR 1000E 4-& 5-string models only), Roadgear (RD900 models only) Gary Willis (GWB105NTF model only) Ibanez Basses.[/center][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3][center]It is possible to install the 9-volt battery backwards which could result in overheating and a possible fire, as well as damage to your bass.[/center][/size][/font][/color]

The affected model numbers are: GWB105NTF SR1005EWNNTF SR1000EZWNTF SR1000EBGNTF SR1005EZWNTF SR1005EBGNTF SR1000EFMNTF RD900AHNHS SR1005EFMNTF SR1000EPBNTF RD900FMNT SR1005EPBNTF SR1000EWNNTF

Hmm, that might well be the problem! Curiously the SR1000E schematic doesn't show an active/passive switch - [url="http://www2.ibanez.com/supportResources/wiring/2006/WB050007.pdf"]http://www2.ibanez.com/supportResources/wiring/2006/WB050007.pdf[/url]

Thanks again - Yes, very strange. A little more googling and I've found:

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]May 5, 2006 (Tokyo Japan). Ibanez has announced a full recall of all bass guitars sold between November 1989 and 2006. Due to an error in a schematic diagram, the pickups were wired backwards. This causes the pickups to draw current in a reverse direction, effectively sucking the sound out of an amplifier. There have been numerous complaints of this over the years, but the wiring error was just discovered recently.[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]According to Ibanez lead engineer Tatsua Sugeza you may be affected by the problem if you hear a noticable sucking sound when you play your bass.[/font][/color]

I'll try and put the battery the 'wrong' way round and see if that does anything....

Haha - well...... it was a genuine copy and paste:
Yes, I was joking :D :D :D , but I did try the battery the other way round (couldn't help myself) :lol: :lol:

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/recall-on-ibanez-basses.248247/

I think it's a poor translation,....... the battery holder has blades (rather than a cap and claw PP3 Connector), so now pretty confident that the battery was put in the wrong way at some point and killed the pre amp.

Looks as though Ibanez used this battery box for a while, and depending on the pre amp spec, maybe having a diode or not, the pre amps were fried with a reverse polarity feed.

On the lookout for a new pre amp now.