Why become a member? ×

Fender American Special basses

sellisnba

Just wondered what people People's view of the American special range is. I may be in a position to buy a 2012 p bass locally used, it has a few bumps and scrapes but adds to its character. I currently have a 2012 Mim precision bass. Would it be a worthy upgrade over my existing bass or am I wasting my money. I've heard very mixed reviews on this range. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by sellisnba

I had a 2012 Jazz, it was really nice. Looked great in white/rosewood and sounded great. I recorded a full album with it and the producer opted to use it over his '77. It had a very deep and dark tone to it.
The only issue I had was it had absolutely zero shielding from Fender, so was very noisy.

I quite often play an American Special Jazz - it's a nice bass, good tone & just behaves the way you'd expect a decent bass to behave, absolutely nothing wrong with it. It doesn't feel quite as nice as my American Standard but that could just be because it's someone else's bass & not set up by me. The main differences between the two are the special has the cheaper machine heads & bridge compared to the really nice ones on the standard and the edges are less nicely finished but that's about it as far as I can tell, though the special has a nice bit of flaming on the neck & a slightly sparkly paint job which I do quite like.

If your MIM is a good one I'm not sure how much of a step-up the American Special will be, though my knowledge of the MIMs is less the few recent ones I've played have been pretty good basses in their own right. The American Standards & American Vintage models are a real step up IMO but then they cost more.