Why become a member? ×

Guitar buying.

Si600

The guitarist in my band wants to buy a new guitar. Any ideas of a guitar emporium where we can go to check out the options? I know the good places for bass gear but I'm a bit lost when it comes to our skinny stringed brethren. We're in Northampton BTW, so London or Brum is perfectly acceptable for travel.

Edited by Si600

[quote name='Si600' timestamp='1464333433' post='3058452']
Are they any good? I got the feeling that PMT weren't that interested, musical items are a commodity to sell rather than something to be interested in if that makes sense.
[/quote]

Were you planning to ask for their opinion, or will your guitarist be able to make up his own mind about what he likes?

Well if the Northampton branch isn't to your liking try Birmingham. I used to know the manager there and he's a really nice bloke - friendly and helpful. The stock of guitars is humongous too. :)

It depends what you're looking for in terms of service as well - experienced players will generally have a pretty good idea what they're after and just need pointing in the right direction. Others are looking for a bit more guidance. You pays yer money I guess...

Edited by leftybassman392

Well, you wanted a guitar emporium local to you with, I presume, a reasonable range of different guitars, so PMT would fit the bill. The guys in my Cambridge store are good chaps and very helpful.

I have spent far too much money at PMT in Northampton, they know what they are talking about, have a lot of really nice tempting shiny things, if there is a single downside it is a lack of free parking close by.

I would happily recommend them

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1464333848' post='3058454']

Were you planning to ask for their opinion, or will your guitarist be able to make up his own mind about what he likes?
[/quote]

He'd like an Ibanez, but he's sensible enough to get what he needs if that doesn't suit. Unlike me who wanted a P-Bass when in reality there are thinner necked 5ers in a PJ configuration which may actually suit me better!

Thank you, we'll try PMT in Northampton. A jolly to Brum with pub stop does sound like a good idea to though 🙂

I've bought several items from PMT Northampton and have only ever found them to be helpful and friendly. Good guys who have always been happy to let me take my time trying gear. Same with the Birmingham branch too.

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1464335245' post='3058470']
I have spent far too much money at PMT in Northampton, they know what they are talking about, have a lot of really nice tempting shiny things, if there is a single downside it is a lack of free parking close by.

I would happily recommend them
[/quote]

The big car park behind the shop is free on Sunday's I think?

Coda in Stevenage doesn't seem too far from you. I've been there many times, and always found the staff
really friendly and helpful. Don't be put off by the tiny shop front - they have vast stocks of everything a guitarist
would want, including massive range of Custom Shop models from Fender and Gibson along with PRS, Ibanez etc etc.
Also plenty of stuff in the lower / midrange price range, and some s/h stock too.
I travel all over the UK and usually try to visit any music shops I can, and Coda is up there for me alongside Andertons,
Guitar Guitar and GAK as one of the best.

Fairdeal is still in Brum @paul h.

I'd take a look at The Little Guitar Shop too - small, owner run and some nice guitars. They did a lovely job setting up my acoustic. I think there is more instore than is on his website. It does live up to its name though - it is little :D http://www.thelittleguitarshop.com

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1464339413' post='3058531']
Coda in Stevenage doesn't seem too far from you. I've been there many times, and always found the staff
really friendly and helpful. Don't be put off by the tiny shop front - they have vast stocks of everything a guitarist
would want, including massive range of Custom Shop models from Fender and Gibson along with PRS, Ibanez etc etc.
Also plenty of stuff in the lower / midrange price range, and some s/h stock too.
I travel all over the UK and usually try to visit any music shops I can, and Coda is up there for me alongside Andertons,
Guitar Guitar and GAK as one of the best.
[/quote]

Would be my recommendation too. Great amount/variety of stock, and the staff are pretty darn good too, no pressure-selling, no ignoring you just cos you only want to try out a guitar/amp, plus they all have great product knowledge too.