Why become a member? ×

Monitoring, playing along... USB and PC? Help!

anzoid

Not exactly sure how to title this or if I've even got the right part of the forum, I have searched but I don't even really know exactly what terms I'm looking for, anyway, here goes...

I want to be able to play along to MP3s on my computer with my bass plugged into said computer and listen either through headphones or a pair of speakers. I doubt I'll ever do any recording though that is a possibility. This is mainly for learning stuff and when I have to be doing so quietly and can't move my bass rig to where my computer is.

I've been looking at various USB powered audo interfaces but the info I can't find is whether I can, basically, play along to the song I'm listening to and have my bass come out the same speakers.

Pretty limited budget for purchases - max about £40 (just bought an MTD KZ5 and then got asked by a friend to play on something he's working on which I need to learn...)

On my very short short-list are the Behringer 302USB Xenyx 5 Input Mixer and ALESIS Core 1 USB Audio Interface - sound quality isn't a huge issue... would be nice for it be halfway decent though.

Any help and advice greatly appreciated.

Ideally you want something with a blend between the PC signal and the incoming bass. I've got a [url="https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lexicon-Alpha-Studio-Audio-Interface/dp/B000HVXMNE"]Lexicon Alpha[/url] that i use for just this purpose. Not too bad for recording with either.

mrn1989, not to be completely dense, though I probably am... I've been reading the user guide for the Scarlett Solo and if I understand things correctly - I plug the Solo into the computer (USB), plug the bass in and then set "Direct Monitor" to on and I'll get both my bass and the music from the PC through the headphone socket? Don't need to run it through my DAW or anything like that? If that's the case there will likely be a PM coming your way :)

Yep thats how I ran it, I just set my system audio output to the Scarlett and it all comes through there. If you have direct monitor OFF you just get the computer audio and if you have it ON you get what ever is plugged into the Scarlett ie. mic or an instrument and the PC audio.

Simple bit of kit, you may chose to use a pedal if you want to shape the tone of your bass but it works perfectly without

• 5 weeks later...

[quote name='anzoid' timestamp='1464358288' post='3058834']
Not exactly sure how to title this or if I've even got the right part of the forum, I have searched but I don't even really know exactly what terms I'm looking for, anyway, here goes...

I want to be able to play along to MP3s on my computer with my bass plugged into said computer and listen either through headphones or a pair of speakers. I doubt I'll ever do any recording though that is a possibility. This is mainly for learning stuff and when I have to be doing so quietly and can't move my bass rig to where my computer is.

I've been looking at various USB powered audo interfaces but the info I can't find is whether I can, basically, play along to the song I'm listening to and have my bass come out the same speakers.

Pretty limited budget for purchases - max about £40 (just bought an MTD KZ5 and then got asked by a friend to play on something he's working on which I need to learn...)

On my very short short-list are the Behringer 302USB Xenyx 5 Input Mixer and ALESIS Core 1 USB Audio Interface - sound quality isn't a huge issue... would be nice for it be halfway decent though.

Any help and advice greatly appreciated.
[/quote]

I use Scarlet Focusrite 2i2. But I like the amp sound recorded via a mic not the di sound. It came with Ableton live lite daw.