Why become a member? ×

Bootsy all that good

YouMa

I know he did some fantastic stuff with james brown and i like some of his early solo stuff,but i do feel overated creeping in here.listened to a lot of clinton stuff and hes more of a lead guitarist........please correct me as i really like him.

[quote name='YouMa' timestamp='1464396307' post='3059249']
I know he did some fantastic stuff with james brown and i like some of his early solo stuff,but i do feel overated creeping in here.listened to a lot of clinton stuff and hes more of a lead guitarist........please correct me as i really like him.
[/quote]

Try singing "Stretching Out" and playing bass at the same time.

He's a ledgend,but I was there when he was a teen playing with JB. What do I know.

Blue

Edited by blue

I have a very low tolerance of 'wannabe guitarist' type bass players, so when it comes to Bootsy - not a problem! When I listen to Mothership Connection, I am listening to some of the best rhythmic, funky and innovative bass playing ever committed to record.

Edited by Roland Rock

[/quote]

You may consider yourself corrected :)

Think part of the problem here is 'dilution' - when an artist has a long career, their highs can get lost in some of the more lacklustre workaday making a living output.

Some people manage to keep their contributions short and profound but often because they die early.

Some of Bootsy's 80s output was pretty ropey... but then too was Stanley's... etc.

Enjoy Bootsy's best bits...

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1464419089' post='3059290']
There's no-one as funky as Bootsy...
And I know cos I was there when he was born!

[MEDIA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Sh9cezHNec[/MEDIA]
[/quote]

Just fixing the video link so I can view it - for some reason the video owner chose to not allow it to run embedded in other sites!

Over time Bootsy's focus changed from bass player to bass playing front man and then star of the show.

I think people can like all of them or one and not the others without it being a problem.

Bootsy Collins wasn't with James Brown very long but I was fortunate to see that band. What a night. It was at East Ham Odeon and their second show of the day. They came on at about 2 am and played all night.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1464425663' post='3059330']
Over time Bootsy's focus changed from bass player to bass playing front man and then star of the show.

I think people can like all of them or one and not the others without it being a problem.

Bootsy Collins wasn't with James Brown very long but I was fortunate to see that band. What a night. It was at East Ham Odeon and their second show of the day. They came on at about 2 am and played all night.
[/quote]

Seeing the Bootsy/Catfish era James Brown band live is my first request if Dr Who ever gives me ride in the Tardis :)
Jealous!

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1464419089' post='3059290']
[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Sh9cezHNec[/MEDIA]
[/quote]

WAAAAAAAAA!!!!!! Some of his stuff leaves me a bit cold but this clip is cooking!

[/quote] Which George Clinton songs are you referring to? Bootsy didn't play on a lot of Clinton's 80's solo stuff, whilst a lot of the later Parliament Funkadelic albums (Gloryhallastoopid, Trombipulation, Uncle Jam, Electric Spanking, etc.),featured a lot of synth, and sometimes Bootsy on drums and guitar, but seldom bass. However, his bass playing on Chocolate City, Mothership Connection, Clones of Dr Funkenstein, & Funkentelechy vs the Placebo Syndrome albums, is the very epitome of Funk and all things Funky.

[quote name='ratman' timestamp='1464427344' post='3059356']
WAAAAAAAAA!!!!!! Some of his stuff leaves me a bit cold but this clip is cooking!
[/quote]

Indeed, except for that twerp on the almost incessant cow-bell blasting away, covering everything, including the bass. Hot stuff, though, turned on at the flick of a switch (although I suspect that there may have been some prior rehearsal...). :mellow:

She was only doing it for fun though so must have been rubbish. She actually spends most of her time knitting noodles whilst just looking at a bass in the next room through the crack of a door.
Funny thing though, she got paid to play just once and for that one time only she was the worlds greatest plank spanker ???

Iv started paying myself to play and im coming on in leaps and bounds :)

I first saw Bootsy live in '79 with the full Parliafunkadelicment Thang line up - Brides of Funkenstein, Parlet, Horny Horns, Bootsy's Rubber Band, Parliament and Funkadelic.

Of course, all of these were more or less the same band but with different singers coming and going and random additional instruments too.

At one point I counted 23 people on stage including 2 bassists, 2 drummers, at least 3 guitars, 2 or 3 keys, 4 horns, percussion and a host of vocals.

Throughout it all it was Bootsy's playing that held most of my attention. On some songs he was just in charge of the groove and in others he played all the funky fills whilst the 2nd bass held things together.

One of the best live shows I've ever seen - so much so that I went back the next night and bought a ticket from a tout outside to get right down the front :)

Last time I saw him he didn't even play bass though. He purely sang lead vocals. Mind you, he had Vic Wooten and Verdine White behind him so he didn't really need to pick up a bass, lol

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1464622715' post='3060886']
I first saw Bootsy live in '79 with the full Parliafunkadelicment Thang line up - Brides of Funkenstein, Parlet, Horny Horns, Bootsy's Rubber Band, Parliament and Funkadelic.

Of course, all of these were more or less the same band but with different singers coming and going and random additional instruments too.

At one point I counted 23 people on stage including 2 bassists, 2 drummers, at least 3 guitars, 2 or 3 keys, 4 horns, percussion and a host of vocals.

Throughout it all it was Bootsy's playing that held most of my attention. On some songs he was just in charge of the groove and in others he played all the funky fills whilst the 2nd bass held things together.

One of the best live shows I've ever seen - so much so that I went back the next night and bought a ticket from a tout outside to get right down the front :)

Last time I saw him he didn't even play bass though. He purely sang lead vocals. Mind you, he had Vic Wooten and Verdine White behind him so he didn't really need to pick up a bass, lol
[/quote]

Verdine White, another member of the
"gifted" club, him and his brother Maurice.

RIP Maurice,

Blue