Why become a member? ×

replacing a pot

Yan

Hello,

I have an old westone passive p bass. Its lovely to play but the tone pot doesn't work any more.

Can I replace it with any 250k pot or will there a particular type that I need?

Or... should I just buy a new preamp?

Any advice/help very gratefully received.

Yan :)

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1464518604' post='3059979']
You do not say which Westone you have but the preamp in the Thunder 1A is awesome. The Thunder 1 is the same bass but passive.
[/quote]
It could be a Westone Jet. I've got one. It's also a passive P. It's awesome too.

joking aside, you will find there are 2 types of pot available these are Linear and Logarithmic.

It's really down personal preference, but i prefer the linear ones. Log has a lot of the adjustment all up one end of the turn of the pot.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1464798690' post='3062685']
joking aside, you will find there are 2 types of pot available these are Linear and Logarithmic.

It's really down personal preference, but i prefer the linear ones. Log has a lot of the adjustment all up one end of the turn of the pot.
[/quote]

Indeed. It will be a preference thing. Although if using an active circuit probably best to stick with the manufacturers choice of pot. With passive you can do a lot more experimentation.