Why become a member? ×

I can't see my fret markers!

chrisanthony1211

Whilst I accept that being able to see the fret markers on my bass is not essential, and I could probably get by, the fret markers on my 64 precision have faded due to the oils from the wood seeping through them and I would feel more comfortable being able to refer to them a little easier on a dark stage, I have used the rosette dots which are pretty good for short term use but they start to come off after a couple of weeks of playing, I obviously don't want to be drilling into a 50 year old bass neck, what other options are there?

A fine tipped Tippex pen. Easy to put a small dot of it on, easy to pick it off with no damage or residue left behind.
I've used one to put 'note' marker dots along the edge of the neck of my upright and also to mark first position on my fretless.
Have a practice on some paper first though until you're happy with your dots :)

Edited by miles'tone

Without sounding like a knob have you tried simply playing it more? I had a similar problem with my old grabber bass, it was made worse by the slightly different scale length to my other bass which at the time was a fender jazz. I didn't really want to modify it either.

I found that by grinning and baring it for a while I got used to it. My muscle memory improved and after a couple of gigs on dark stages and a few extra hours of practice with it the problem faded.

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1464435686' post='3059441']
Without sounding like a knob have you tried simply playing it more? I had a similar problem with my old grabber bass, it was made worse by the slightly different scale length to my other bass which at the time was a fender jazz. I didn't really want to modify it either.

I found that by grinning and baring it for a while I got used to it. My muscle memory improved and after a couple of gigs on dark stages and a few extra hours of practice with it the problem faded.
[/quote]

I can get by, and I think in some ways it does you good not have to rely on them, but for those particularly dark places, something to reference would be good,..

Obviously you wouldn't want to fit these to a 64 P, but for anything less precious that you don't mind drilling into, I have a bass with these fitted and they're a revelation:

http://www.luminlay.com/indexen.html

Surely you must be able to get small circular glow in the dark stickers from somewhere, similar to the tape job above but tidier?

Edited by dannybuoy

You have a bigger problem.

If the stage is so dark that you can't see your fret markers then the audience can't see you.

Get some stage lights, look more professional and you'll also be able to see your frets.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1464445413' post='3059522']
Surely you must be able to get small circular glow in the dark stickers from somewhere, similar to the tape job above but tidier?
[/quote]

I have used a hole punch to make some dots out of luminous stickers before now. A bit big and not that sticky but they are cheap!

Why does everyone want to play in the dark?

The sky's the limit with stage lighting but at least get a couple of boxes with about 4 bulbs each and put them either side of the stage pointing back at the band.

If the gig isn't professional enough to have some sort of lighting for the band, bring your own. A basic 2 box system will look fine and a bunch of dark shapes huddled in the corner looks so amateurish.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1464516868' post='3059964']
Why does everyone want to play in the dark?

The sky's the limit with stage lighting but at least get a couple of boxes with about 4 bulbs each and put them either side of the stage pointing back at the band.

If the gig isn't professional enough to have some sort of lighting for the band, bring your own. A basic 2 box system will look fine and a bunch of dark shapes huddled in the corner looks so amateurish.
[/quote]well, sometimes we'll be playing on a multi band bill where you just turn up with your bass and plug in, so you have to be ready for anything really, but yeah we've got a couple PAR64 LED's that usually throw out enough light, till the singers gets his bloody great head in the way, and because I'm so vain I always wear sunglasses which doesn't help :lol: