Why become a member? ×

What a difference a string makes. DR Fat Beams.

bubinga5

I have a great Maruszczyk 5 string Jazz Bass. I wasn't very happy with the Delano pickups, or the Sonar 2 preamp. Then i put a set of DR Fat Beams on this bass.

Good lord above!!!. This instrument is now an absolute beast. i play a 45 -125 set and it is hard to describe the tone through the Aguilar. Its totally changed the instrument. Im not sure what strings were on before, but the preamp and pups sounded quite lack luster. I think the heavier gauge counts. I am only playing the bass passive, so I'm not sure what the Delano sonar 2 preamp sounds like until i can get a 9v battery tomorrow. but passive, it sounds pretty fat, just a great sounding jazz bass. Lots of growl, pretty much a Marcus Miller tone.

Its easy to underestimate what a fresh set of strings can do. But I've had this experience with DR strings before. they are just superb. I know the making behind these particular strings that makes them so so special, but i won't bore you with it. IMO the best electric bass strings ever made. Compression wound, round core, stainless steel greatness. I swear by these strings. and there getting cheaper as Marcus has gone to Dunlop.

the bass in question.

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1464573631' post='3060425']
and there getting cheaper as Marcus has gone to Dunlop.
[/quote]

I tried a set of super brights the other day, they lasted about an hour before I replaced them with pro steels... Horrible strings.

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1464596368' post='3060512']
Anyone have experience on how long they last before needing replacing?
Wouldnt mind giving them a go
[/quote]
Depends how often you play and how sweaty you are. I play a lot but sweat very little - I tend to
manage 5-6 months.

[quote name='Bolo' timestamp='1464601884' post='3060603']
DR's DDT strings are my favourite as I prefer a heavier D and G for tonal balance. I drop the low B to A with no change in characteristics.
[/quote]

Just out of interest, is that on a 34 inch scale?

Dunlop's low introductory price tempted me over for a while - not bad strings but I missed the slightly lower tension of DRs. Fat Beams have a bit more zing and Hi Beams have a firmer low end to my ears. The DR winding has an unusual quality to it where the strings are flexy but it's easy for your fingers to get purchase on them. I find myself fretting less hard with them and playing fast easier than I do with flats or other steels.

I`ve just put a set of Fat Beams on my Precision this morning. Got a set free with my subscription to Bass Guitar Magazine, so thought I`d put them on when the band have a bit of gigging down-time, so I can see what they`re like. Only used them at home but so far am liking what I`m hearing. I`ve also heard they last a long time so fingers crossed. I love my Roto Steels but a new set every month gets on my nerves.

I used Dunlop Super Brights for about 18 months and loved them, they're amazing for slap and mine lasted me for ages (nickels) but found them too low in tension to dig in when plucking. I then made the jump to DR Sun Beams, and I love them for plucking but I actually found they go dead insanely quickly (three weeks or so).

Thinking of coming away from nickels and going back to steel and may stay with DR - everyone talks about how long they last, but I found the Sun Beams a let down in that department. Maybe I"ll give Fat Beams a go.

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1464596368' post='3060512']
Anyone have experience on how long they last before needing replacing?
Wouldnt mind giving them a go
[/quote]

I've got a set of FatBeams on my StingRay 5. I put them on in January 2009... :)

Fat Beams are my favourite round. They sound and feel great when new, get better as they settle in, and just stay that way for months.
I'm into flats at the mo so really should give the Hi Beams flats a shot. They're round core too which sounds nice for the fingers.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1464608407' post='3060712']
I`ve just put a set of Fat Beams on my Precision this morning. Got a set free with my subscription to Bass Guitar Magazine, so thought I`d put them on when the band have a bit of gigging down-time, so I can see what they`re like. Only used them at home but so far am liking what I`m hearing. I`ve also heard they last a long time so fingers crossed. I love my Roto Steels but a new set every month gets on my nerves.
[/quote]

Ok, used them at band practice and a nice balanced even tone across all of the strings. Trouble is, said tone is too polite, fine for home use but not angry enough for gigs, so I`m putting these on my home use bass, and will keep Roto Steels on my gigging basses.

Moved to Elixirs as I was killing DR LoRiders in a couple of weeks. I sweat the dreaded string killer goo me :(

They're darker out of the packet but last two or three months. Also you can put them on right before a gig and not get a moaning sound guy about the brightness which is cool

• 1 month later...

When I bought my (used) CIJ Jazz off here a couple of years ago it had Fat Beams on, 45s. Since I'm not a fan of steels and preferred 40s I found them to initially be a bit of a struggle. That is until I gigged the bass and heard what they sounded like! So full and rich with a gorgeous midrange! Blimey! I soon found I got used to the feel and actually started to prefer the higher tension. I decided when they needed replacing to go for Nickel LowRiders, 40s, hoping they'd be like a nickel version of the FatBeams. They are nice but they're not FatBeams. I'll be going back to the Fatties on my next change, buying single strings to make a balanced tension set of 45,60,80,105 and now that the price has come down I'll be having a set for my Carvin SB5000 as well.

Edited by SisterAbdullahX

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1464624590' post='3060917']
Thinking of coming away from nickels and going back to steel and may stay with DR - everyone talks about how long they last, but I found the Sun Beams a let down in that department. Maybe I"ll give Fat Beams a go.
[/quote]

Have you tried Fodera nickels ? Not unlike the Sunbeams.