Why become a member? ×

Amp for Busking

sblueplanet

Is anyone using or has knowledge of a portable bass amp that is powerful enough for busking? I tried a Pignose, not technically a bass amp, and it couldn't cope with the low frequencies.
I've heard about the Roland Micro Cube but it didn't look to me like a busking amp, more just a portable low volume practice amp.

I researched this same thing for a few months....

I settled in a behringer bdi21 into a kam 15inch battery pa speaker.

It's loud. Lasts ages and sounds reasonable :)
I shopped around and got it all for less than 200 nuggets :)

The Roland micro cube is perfect for busking and surprisingly loud. I used it briefly doing some stuff with seven djembe players (loud) and it cut through sweetly. Incidentally mine is in the for sale section haha :) - great amp!

Edited by Raslee

[quote name='Raslee' timestamp='1464682600' post='3061307']
The Roland micro cube is perfect for busking and surprisingly loud. I used it briefly doing some stuff with seven djembe players (loud) and it cut through sweetly. Incidentally mine is in the for sale section haha :) - great amp!
[/quote]

Yep I wish I had one of these the other week, I turned up to play somewhere with no power and got plugged into some horrible Maplins battery amp which made my acoustic bass sound like death metal coming out of a mobile phone speaker.

Checked out the Roland Street Cube today. Not loud enough for using bass on the street. I think though that there is a louder model but that retails at almost double the price. May explore using a battery-powered keyboard combo with a 12" driver.

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1465121401' post='3065388']
QTX make some battery powered mini PAs. I have the 10" version, QTXqr10pa, although I think they also make 12 and 15" versions. Cheap and reasonably effective, with very good battery life.
[/quote]
I've been looking at these.

Something that has not been covered is how long your busking session is likely to be. The type of amplifier and the type/size of battery can have a major effect on the volume available, the length of your set, and the feasibility of carrying/trolleying it back to your car.

The PJ briefcase takes a 7Ah battery, which lasts about an hour at high volumes. For a lot less money, you could get a caravan battery and a 12v to 240 volt convertor, and run a medium powered mains rig all day. But it would be a lot less portable.

David

'The PJ briefcase takes a 7Ah battery, which lasts about an hour at high volumes. For a lot less money, you could get a caravan battery and a 12v to 240 volt convertor, and run a medium powered mains rig all day. But it would be a lot less portable.'

I've seen people busking with a regular Bass combo and the latter option complete with large trolley!

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1465465512' post='3068424']
... I've seen people busking with a regular Bass combo and the latter option complete with large trolley!
[/quote]

Been there, done that -
My 300 W Hartke amp and 15 inch speaker fed from an invertor and a caravan battery.
[URL=http://s285.photobucket.com/user/Mottlefeeder/media/IMG_0099_zps7398178f.jpg.html][IMG]http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll54/Mottlefeeder/IMG_0099_zps7398178f.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Something elde to throw into the mix is the pick-up type on the bass you plan to use.

Acoustic basses with Piezo pick-ups are pretty much immune to electrical interference, so you can use them with cheap gererators or invertors without getting a buzz or whine through the speakers.

Magnetic pick-ups may give you problems with older amplifiers powered from those sources, but class D amps seem to have better filtering, and give fewer problems.

David

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1465121401' post='3065388']
QTX make some battery powered mini PAs. I have the 10" version, QTXqr10pa, although I think they also make 12 and 15" versions. Cheap and reasonably effective, with very good battery life.
[/quote]

This.
I've had mine for 3 years now. Tonally is not the best bass sound ever, but it is not bad at all, and it gets surprisingly loud for surprisingly long. Certainly louder than we're allowed while busking over here. I used it in my band with two trumpets and a sax (unamplified), reduced acoustic kit (hi-hats, snare and bass drum), and three guitars through Roland micro thingies. I have more than enough headroom.
I recommend an EQ pedal or a bass with active EQ, as the built in tone controls are not great for bass.
I think the 10" is perfect, as it gives more than enough bass (for my needs, anyway) and it's light, small, and the battery last AGES.

It will distort the bass if you push it, if the battery starts to run out, but that's to be expected.

Edited by mcnach

• 2 weeks later...

Just ran this setup at home as a test for almost 5 hrs with no issues and very quiet. A 600w inverter connected to a 12v battery powering an Eden 250w head playing through a 4ohm 12" cab. Should still be loud and portable enough once I get a small trolley.