Why become a member? ×

Best mid range leads

SwamiRob

Got a planet waves after a cheap lead crapped out on me, and ended up forking out for a 30 quid american made planet waves one, and was astounded about how much difference it actually made. I always thought it was one of those things that made a subtle difference but it's far from it.

So I'm looking to get another decent cable from my board to my amp, or if one is nice and colorful that might be better for my bass to board so I can see it and not trip over it as much like the clumsy sod I am, and some decent patch cables.

Is there anything of equivalent quality that isn't so pricey?

You will no doubt get lots of advice to buy your leads and cables from obbm (Dave), a member of this forum. It is good advice. I've bought all my leads and cables from him for at least six years and they are a high-end product using the best possible cable, connectors and other components - but not at a high-end price. In that time I haven't had a single cable or lead give me any problems whatsoever. He provides an excellent service with a fast turnaround and posts his products via Royal Mail First-Class Signed For. Great value, top quality, great service and I can't recommend him highly enough.

You can PM directly with your requirements or go to his website, here:

[url="http://bassic-bits.co.uk/"]http://bassic-bits.co.uk/[/url]

Hope this helps. :)

Edited by discreet

Klotz are a good brand. I've had my Klotz leads for over 5 years. I gig 70 to 100 times a year and they've never let me down.

Keep well away from fender. They are seriously crap.

Edited by gjones

I've been using George L's for more years than I can remember, both for bass and guitar (thick and thin gauges) and I've always been happy with them.

I acquired a Fender one with an instrument some time back and I agree with gjones, they're awful.

Edited by ezbass

A lot of people are going to chime in OBBM but I believe he only makes black cables.

For a coloured cable, I don't think you can beat a Van Damme with neutrik plugs. Get Designacable to make them to your spec from their website or from their eBay shop...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gold-Neutrik-Guitar-Jack-to-Jack-Lead-Long-Van-Damme-Cable-3m-6m-10m-Electric-/161211536768?var=&hash=item2588f4d580:m:mQp66EkdbGBr1aeXINo4YVQ

I have used a lot of Van Damme cables and never had any fail - and of course, they sound great too. Good enough for Abbey Road, Air and the Beeb, good enough for me etc...

I just bought a couple of Planet Waves Classic Series cables from Amazon for a tenner each. I was thinking of going for their more expensive ones but went for the Classic after reading this review:

[url="http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/guitar-cable-roundup-part-one-page-2-1"]http://www.premiergu...rt-one-page-2-1[/url]

I don't know how much of that review is pure poppycock regarding some cables having more low end than the others though!

They have a lifetime warranty too.

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1464686563' post='3061352']
A lot of people are going to chime in OBBM but I believe he only makes black cables.

For a coloured cable, I don't think you can beat a Van Damme with neutrik plugs. Get Designacable to make them to your spec from their website or from their eBay shop...

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gold-Neutrik-Guitar-Jack-to-Jack-Lead-Long-Van-Damme-Cable-3m-6m-10m-Electric-/161211536768?var=&hash=item2588f4d580:m:mQp66EkdbGBr1aeXINo4YVQ"]http://www.ebay.co.u...bGBr1aeXINo4YVQ[/url]

I have used a lot of Van Damme cables and never had any fail - and of course, they sound great too. Good enough for Abbey Road, Air and the Beeb, good enough for me etc...
[/quote]

Does appear to only be doing black cable at the moment, but he's done others in the past - I have a couple of blue ones for sure.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1464690416' post='3061394']
There is a red cable on his site, not sure if that means he does coloured cables or not. Might be an idea to ask him.
[/quote]

Thanks for the intro Mark. That photo of a red lead dates back many years so perhaps I'd better change it.

These days I only offer black because Klotz AC110 and Sommer LLX are only available in black. I also have 99m of Sommer Classic Tweed which looks like it will be on the shelf until I retire or expire.

Vandamme is available in many colours and as there are many other suppliers offering these at ultra competitive rates I see no point in trying to compete with yet another "me too" product. In Klotz and Sommer I supply what I believe is a better quality of cable. At the end of the day my view is that it's the performance that counts, not the colour.

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1464691742' post='3061404']...
These days I only offer black...
[/quote]

Would a piece of heat-shrunk colour tube at each end be an option for those wishing to identify cables by colour..? Just a thought. No qualms with 'Quality First'; you've already 'nailed' that aspect.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1464697704' post='3061499']
Would a piece of heat-shrunk colour tube at each end be an option for those wishing to identify cables by colour..? Just a thought. No qualms with 'Quality First'; you've already 'nailed' that aspect.
[/quote]

That's always been an option, in fact I usually suggest it for mic cables.

Another option is a name label under clear heatshrink. Very useful for identifying exactly whose cable it is in a multi-band situation.

Anyone got any suggestions for affordable but not awful patch leads? I'm only using 5 cos my board is just 3 pedals linked together for an elaborate always on overdrive sound, however if they're 10 each I'm not sure I can manage that at the moment.

Edited by SwamiRob

[quote name='SwamiRob' timestamp='1464762548' post='3062192']
Anyone got any suggestions for affordable but not awful patch leads? I'm only using 5 cos my board is just 3 pedals linked together for an elaborate always on overdrive sound, however if they're 10 each I'm not sure I can manage that at the moment.
[/quote]
Stick with what you have until you can afford to replace them. (Unless of course, they are already knackered!)

Certainly not doubting they're worth it, just in now way can afford that much money on patch leads at the moment, just need a half decent upgrade from my fisher price 10 quid for 8 ones. If there's not much worthwhile I'll put up with them for now and just get a full length one for now

Edited by SwamiRob