Why become a member? ×

Unicorn Bass Cabs

Owen

Anyone know anything about these? They look very lovely. I am aware that there is more to a piece of kit than how it looks.

[url="https://www.facebook.com/MoniqueForBass/photos/a.365968426787632.101412.343690049015470/1044569205594214/?type=3&theater"]https://www.facebook...?type=3[/url]

Unicornbass is the brand of a luthier in the south of Sweden. The build quality of his basses is second to none and the attention to detail is simply amazing. I play three basses that he has built. Try one if you have the opportunity. I like the Ozellman series the best, but the 32" five string basses are also a treat.

I just sold a 2x10 cabinet that I owned for a couple of years. For the size, it was amazing. It could take all the power you could ever throw at it and give you back room filling hifi quality bass. It was excellent for five string bass and quite neutral. The claims that it can replace much larger cabs seems true. I once used it at a gig with a crowd of 300 without PA-support for the bass, and it was all good.

The reason I sold it was that I actually prefer cabs that have more mid range character (Bergs) and I thought the 25 kg was more than I wanted for a one cab solution. But you could well go for the 1x12 or 1x10. The cab I used to have, had a laquered finish, which quickly got a few dents. Rat fur is probably better for the way I haul my stuff around. There is a pro player here in Sweden that brings his active 1x10 to all gigs and swears by it, so we sometimes see it on TV .