Why become a member? ×

Dodgy Elixir Nanoweb strings bought on Ebay

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1485044290' post='3220753']
Just buy D'Addario EXPs? Better string in every aspect?
[/quote]
[quote name='ped' timestamp='1485045352' post='3220759']
Tried, didn't like :)[/quote]

Ditto ;). I recently borrowed a Lakland DJ5 for a long weekend of gigs, which was strung with EXPs, for evaluation of both bass and strings. The bass was lovely, light and easy to play, will definitely buy one when finances allow. The strings, on the other hand, I will not be using again (though my guitars both have D'Addario NYXLs), but I felt after sticking so long to one brand, I ought to see what else was about.

While coated, they have little in common with Elixirs, in terms of feel or tone. For the same gauge they do feel slightly lighter, softer and bendy, which is good, but they don't give you that same slippy fluid feel you get from Elixirs, and the tone is much darker, with none of the brightness you get with Elixirs.

D'Addario have a number stamp on each pack that can be cross referenced on their website, ( under the 'play real' tab at the bottom of the page). I use this now as I had a dodgy set some years ago, half volume output no attack, I thought something was odd with the pickups for a while.
Do Elixer have is system?

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1485454579' post='3224115']
Elixirs just feel like plastic to me.
[/quote]

Personal preference! We all have one, its a free world (for the time being, until Twittler shuts us all down!). They are both good quality strings and they both have fans and critics!

[quote name='mybass' timestamp='1485456795' post='3224134']
D'Addario have a number stamp on each pack that can be cross referenced on their website, ( under the 'play real' tab at the bottom of the page). I use this now as I had a dodgy set some years ago, half volume output no attack, I thought something was odd with the pickups for a while.
Do Elixer have is system?
[/quote]

No, they don't, and they should have. Good point. Ped, have a chat with your buddies!!

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1485542578' post='3224856']
Good idea, I've just sent them an email so will let you know if anything materialises.
[/quote]

Great, and perhaps if everyone who sees them at LBGS says the same, they'll take the hint! ;) I certainly will!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what Elixir say:
[color=#000000]
[font="sans-serif"][size="2"]Info from Elixir: Thank you for bringing it to our attention. We[/size][/font][font=sans-serif][size=1] are aware of the issue. Their new packaging is designed to make it significantly more difficult for someone to counterfeit our packaging. The counterfeit strings themselves offered here are invariable low quality uncoated strings. [/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000]
[font=sans-serif][size=1]Please can Chris add this link to the Bass Chat thread or provide it to their community. Buyers have the ability to report sellers of counterfeit goods. They would be doing everyone in the e-Bay community a favor – and help other bass players not to fall for inferiour quality product. [/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Calibri, sans-serif][url="http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/replica-counterfeit.html"][font="sans-serif"][size="2"][color="blue"]http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/replica-counterfeit.html[/color][/size][/font][/url]

Many thanks[/font][/color]

• 2 weeks later...

Another victim who has found out too late here... I've requested a refund so we'll see how that goes.

I've had the strings in my case (in their packaging) for a month for when the time comes to restring. After I found this thread I had a look, and lo and behold: poor windings by the ball end, sharp ends sticking out etc.

Really disappointed, I thought I'd got a steal at £20 for a set!

Lessons learned etc.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1486465084' post='3231972']
Here's what Elixir say:

[color=#000000][font=sans-serif][size=2]Info from Elixir: Thank you for bringing it to our attention. We[/size][/font][font=sans-serif][size=1] are aware of the issue. Their new packaging is designed to make it significantly more difficult for someone to counterfeit our packaging. The counterfeit strings themselves offered here are invariable low quality uncoated strings. [/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=sans-serif][size=1]Please can Chris add this link to the Bass Chat thread or provide it to their community. Buyers have the ability to report sellers of counterfeit goods. They would be doing everyone in the e-Bay community a favor – and help other bass players not to fall for inferiour quality product. [/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Calibri, sans-serif][url="http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/replica-counterfeit.html"][font=sans-serif][size=2][color=blue]http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/replica-counterfeit.html[/color][/size][/font][/url]

Many thanks[/font][/color]
[/quote]

I spoke to Andy Palmer and Mrs Elixir at the Birmingham Guitar show on Saturday. The guitar strings are already sporting sexy new packaging, and the Bass string packaging will be updated in the next couple of months.

They are going to be in a slightly more substantial boxed packet, with the Elixir logo embossed in very high relief. In addition, the packs will be sealed with a holographic sticker which is destroyed when peeled or removed.

While these changes are not going to prevent counterfeiting, it will certainly make it MUCH harder and more expensive to do, hopefully reducing the financial gain to the point that these gits will no longer bother because it isn't worth their while...

[quote name='MoJoKe' timestamp='1488227291' post='3247053']

I spoke to Andy Palmer and Mrs Elixir at the Birmingham Guitar show on Saturday. The guitar strings are already sporting sexy new packaging, and the Bass string packaging will be updated in the next couple of months.

They are going to be in a slightly more substantial boxed packet, with the Elixir logo embossed in very high relief. In addition, the packs will be sealed with a holographic sticker which is destroyed when peeled or removed.

While these changes are not going to prevent counterfeiting, it will certainly make it MUCH harder and more expensive to do, hopefully reducing the financial gain to the point that these gits will no longer bother because it isn't worth their while...
[/quote]

Great stuff. Yes I've seen the new packaging and some interesting developments due to be released soon...