Why become a member? ×

Zvex sequenced effects clones?

Left Foot

No, but I wish I did. I've been getting away with a square wave trem (Earthquaker Devices Hummingbird clone) and a cheap Wah pedal, but the Seek Wah is a triumph of modern engineering!

Edited by paul_5

Not bad idea Paul, but id love a crisp transfer between sequences.
Cheers gareth, can you slow the sequence down at all?
Hey what about the boss splicer? Could that give you freedom over the phase lengths and their filter settings?

Edited by Left Foot

[quote name='Left Foot' timestamp='1464819665' post='3062970']
Cheers gareth, can you slow the sequence down at all?
[/quote]

I'm 90% sure the speed of the sweep was something you could set but I can't find anything to confirm this. I'll dig my M5 out and check out how it works in more detail if you want to know.

The Zoom B3 has a Sequenced Filter. "[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]t[/font][/size][font=UniversLTStd][size=1][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]he sequence filter has the flavor of a Z.Vex Seek-Wah[/font][/size]. "[/size][/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Again you're stuck with preset rhythms[/font]

Edited by bartelby

Only if you've got the time and inclination to know yourself Gareth.

Im smitten with this Adrenalinn pedal, got alot going for it and ive done some basic figuring out already tonight, very impressed. The drum machine side is a bit tacky but it'll be perfect for other casio projects.
Intetested to see how I can get this working in a live setting as its digital transitions can be quite abrasive as the parameters default when changing patches so any adjustments in tempo, presents, delay setting etc all get wiped.
Clever bit of kit though, chuffed!

[quote name='Left Foot' timestamp='1465216650' post='3066158']
Let me kniw how that goes Owen, I was very close myself. Ive got the Adrenalinn II sitting beside me at work and cant wait to get it set up.
[/quote]

I am having more fun than is good for me. A Future Impact driving into the Slicer is completely addictive.

Ahhh cool Owen.
I bet its sounding sweet. BTW - if I had a future impact id try learn the little phatty basslines from this...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc0SO6RHSnU

I would, anyway, vids please ;)

Theres two of us in a table top noise project and ive just picked up this Adrenalinn and my pal has the boss slicer, very cool bit of gear. Since we use a constamt tone we thought a juxtaposed sequence of 'voicing' helps give a narrative during quieter moments.

Its cool all these multi-effect units seem to have made an effort with sequenced effects, but the Zvex has ultimate control over speed and filter patches within the sequence. Maybe they are considered more midi based and 'clik' based effects as individual patches seem hard to jump in and out of in a live setting, unless your playing songs with the same tempo and pattern throughout.

Edited by Left Foot

• 4 months later...

Hey Gareth, long time, but any update on this?

So, both myself with the Adrenalinn and my mate with the Boss splicer have found that the digital sound and control of these effects make them totally 'naff'.

There's no smooth way to transition from patch speeds, wet/dry balance, frequency ratios and even volume etc. Any slight adjustment has an audible difference at that point, be it a click or drop, even if its in the slightest, its still noticeable and only manageable by using other pedals to control the effect of it.

Any developments BC has found?

Sorry, I'd completely forgotten about this!

The controls are:-
Speed (0.10 to 15hz or by note value which can be set by tap tempo)
Freq - Selects between the preset patterns. I can't count them but I'd guess at around 32? Maybe completely wrong there.
Q control
Step number - (2 to 9)
And a mix control

All have their own knob control for adjustments. If you have an expression pedal, you can go between 2 presets with that. Might be worth reading around as some people have mentioned a clicking which some like and others don't. I assumed it was part of the effect and gave it a nice percussive quality.

Edited by GarethFlatlands

Just caught this thread. Are you guys still looking for a solution?

Have you maybe looked at a Euro-rack modular solution. There's an awful lot of gear that would probably do what you need to (albeit quite expensive). I was thinking a sequencer (with eight or sixteen steps) could modulate the filter cutoff frequency via a CV input, and gate the output as well giving you controllable portamento between successive steps.

Just a thought :)

Rhanks gareth, anything youd want to noodle really. If you could just blast a single note through a few sequenced patches and tweek the settings as it goes, I can get an idea if the digitalness and click is something id go for, as it sounds like my Adrenalinn and mates Slicer. Thanks if you get time for this ;)

[quote name='Bottle' timestamp='1477480499' post='3162470']
Just caught this thread. Are you guys still looking for a solution?

Have you maybe looked at a Euro-rack modular solution. There's an awful lot of gear that would probably do what you need to (albeit quite expensive). I was thinking a sequencer (with eight or sixteen steps) could modulate the filter cutoff frequency via a CV input, and gate the output as well giving you controllable portamento between successive steps.

Just a thought :)
[/quote]

Yeah, sounds about right. But as usual im trying to keep costs and 'engineering' down. I think the red panda partical pedal did something vaguely close, but im not sure if that would click and judder whilst tweeking the settlings like other digitals ive tried.

Ive found that any delay just takes the crispness out of the sequence, and the click go over the top of that with the Adrenalinn. Anyway, thanks for replies guys