Why become a member? ×

Replacing road worn jazz pick ups... Which ones to get?!

Ok so I have a beautiful road worn jazz. It plays amazingly well. However, my dep in our wedding band has an American deluxe jazz with active pups... And although in my opinion it doesn't play as well, the sound in active mode is really good, very versatile.

Is it worth changing? Any thing I should be aware of first? Any ideas on potential pups to put in?

Thanks!!

Or slot in an Audere preamp. They come pre mounted on a replacement jazz style control plate. Lovely, versatile, musical active circuit. Lots of great tones in there and a distinct lack of unusable, over cooked ones.

https://www.audereaudio.com/pro_jz3.htm

Edited by TrevorR

[quote name='lastanthem88' timestamp='1464816901' post='3062932']
Ok so I have a beautiful road worn jazz. It plays amazingly well. However, my dep in our wedding band has an American deluxe jazz with active pups... And although in my opinion it doesn't play as well, the sound in active mode is really good, very versatile.

Is it worth changing? Any thing I should be aware of first? Any ideas on potential pups to put in?

Thanks!!
[/quote]

I have a Jazz Bass with a set of roadworn pickups in it. Without a preamp it sounds great, with a preamp (a John East J-retro) it sounds amazing and is incredibly versatile.. A change of pickups won't make your passive bass sound like an active one. I recommend getting a J-retro and your friend with the deluxe Jazz will envy your sound.

This is the retro for a deluxe bass but the EQ is the same for the standard Jazz Bass version.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO1aEc9i3D0[/media]

and this is the standard version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32j6CI5S0Oo

Edited by gjones

I think the J-Retro is so compact the battery can go under the control plate, so no need to route a hole for a battery compartment. Not sure if many other preamps can do the same, so worth bearing in mind if you want to be able to revert it back to stock unharmed!

I've got a Roadworn Jazz too. It's a wonderful bass - so lovely to play. Feels great and sounds the part.
I wanted to try some different pickups in it too - just for curiosity's sake really, I suppose
On trawling the ads on here, and on a local facebook group, I found a guy selling some old (1970's or 80's) DiMarzio J pickups
Fitted them, and was blown away!

The original pickups sounded great, and had a vintage tone about them. But the DiMarzio's are even better
It's still got that vintage Jazz sound, but a much bigger output, and quite some punch too.
Of course, it may not be easy to get hold of a set of older pickups - put an ad on here, or keep an eye on local facebook music groups?
I got mine pretty cheap too - and I'll be sticking with them

Have you could also considered a preamp pedal? That way, you don't have to mod the bass at all
I bought myself a Dunlop MXR - the one with a built in, separately controlled distortion effect
Really pleased with it :)

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1464866063' post='3063241']
I think the J-Retro is so compact the battery can go under the control plate, so no need to route a hole for a battery compartment. Not sure if many other preamps can do the same, so worth bearing in mind if you want to be able to revert it back to stock unharmed!
[/quote]

Same with the Audere. Designed to have the battery in the control cavity with the circuit.

Thanks for the help guys, all appreciated - currently discussing with the guy I use for my tech stuff and repairs and bashing your recommendations around! Gigged the RW last night at a wedding gig, so playable... but I did feel it lacked a little 'punch' and output.

I'm using a barefaced super midget (DI'd), a Gallien Krueger 500w head, and a TC electronic spectracomp.