Why become a member? ×

Mic suggestions.. Home Studio

tanuki

I'm putting together a basic home studio, i need to do some remote recordings of bass as well as putting together sound for you tube videos and so forth.

I have a focuswrite scarlet interface and use an Aguilar DB659 for recording direct, i need to get two mics, one for micing the bass cab and one for more general use..

Which two mics would people suggest?

I have a Scarlet USB interface, which supports phantom power.

I use an SE-X1 mic, bought as part of their 'studio bundle' and also a Rode NT-1A.

To be honest, I can't really hear any difference between them, especially after tweaking during recording/production. I've also got some SM58s and when recording acoustic guitar I've tried using both types in various positions and blending the results in production, but any differences I do strain to detect are very subtle. I've probably just got 'cloth ears' :)

https://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may04/articles/rodent.htm

https://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb10/articles/x1bundle.htm

Awaiting delivery on an AKG D112 for miking my bass combo, I'll post how well it works next week when I have a chance to try it out. I've been DIing my bass until now as my only dynamic, a SM58, doesn't have enough bottom end.

A condenser mic, for other purposes, would be a good choice (as every one else says you need phantom power support though).

[quote name='tanuki' timestamp='1464947957' post='3063981']...
Which two mics would people suggest?
[/quote]

I'd recommend a large-capsule condenser mic; there are several at Thomann, not too expensive, and useful for very many tasks in any studio, including mic'ing a bass cab. I'd add another top favourite for all-round usefulness; an SM57 (a clone will do if your budget is very tight...). Again, Thomann have several in that category. This will be for close-mic'ing a cab (bass, guitar...) or for snare etc...
The D112, whilst being a fine mic, and widely used, has a very specific response, tailored for close-mic'ing a bass drum. It will work for bass (any mic will...), but it will be more difficult to separate the bass drum from the bass, as they will have been recorded with the same 'curve'. A flatter response would be much more useful when recording, rather than having to have always the same 'baked in' sound of the mic to fight against. Fine for one or two takes, but not very flexible, long term.
Hope this helps.

As mentioned before, an SM57 is a great all round mic, you can even stick one on a bass cab and blend it with a DI if you want to capture to mid-range and highs. However, the best value mic I have bought is a Rode M3, they are around £70 new, and can be powered by Phanton Power or batteries. I've used a pair of these to record acoustic guitar, guitar cabinets, vocals, snare drums, cymbals and literally everything else. It's totally neutral and doesn't have any harsh frequency peaks, I couldn't recommend it enough.

I rarely mic a bass cab, but I use a Sennhesier e602 when I do. I've had no complaints so far, I much prefer it too the AKG D112 which I think lacks a bit of punch. If it's pure punch you're after, get an Audix D6, that thing is ridiculous.

Edited by Light Grenade

In the small diaphragm category, these are very highly rated, at £83 or so, and would serve in any studio for years...

[url="http://www.lineaudio.se/CM3.html"]Line Audio Design CM3 ...[/url]

For sheer versatility, it's hard to beat a decent large-diaphragm condenser mic, though.

• 3 weeks later...