Why become a member? ×

Dull sounding notes

JJW

Another problem I have with the bass I just made is that on the E string, open and the first 3 frets sound very dull and dont last as long as the others, by the fourth fret it is getting better and by the fifth fret it is back to normal and it is quite bright sounding again. This only happens on the E string, does anyone know the problem?

Before trying anything drastic, I'd try a new E string, or re-winding it on the peg at least. Might not be the cause of your problem, but it'd be quick to find out if it was..

Something else to try, push down on the string just after the bridge to make sure the break angle is correct. Also make sure you've got at least 3 winds of string around the tuning peg.

Edited by LewisK1975

Has it always done that? No matter what strings you put on?
If so sometimes helps to go over the nut height, frets and other aspects of the setup in detail. However if it's always happened that's just how the instrument might be. On occasion a shim helps.
Even some high end basses can have these variables. A bc member was telling me this high end builder marluex I think it was, has a bass above the door of there workshop it's fully built and looks fine, nothing obviously wrong with it, but they could not get it to sound right at all so they ditched it.

Edited by Twincam

Ive had success curing these the of problems with carefull refitment of the string. They can twist and cause these issues... Simply slackening or rewinding doesnt always cure it, a the twist can set in the memory of the metal.... Winding wilst physically holding a ball end or string at the nut can help...
Worth a try

Edited by Wonky2