Why become a member? ×

UK's Best Part-Time Band - BBC4

mentalextra

That's blueprint rehearsal rooms in Manchester. The room with the blue walls is where we rehearse. Nice place, as our singer put it 'They've even got girls' toilets!'. That's as close as we've ever got to being on telly!

One of the most fun programs on the tele for ages. I did like Bombscare. But everyone just seemed to have so much fun. Good to see bands connecting with the audience and not playing with their eyes closed. Well done everyone.

Sorry to disagree Michael, but I thought The Caffreys were overall best despite thinking Bombskare were great.
FWIW I think you should have done 'Angel Gabriel' in the final, such a good song.
Would have come to see you at Beverley had I known, how did it go?

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1466309590' post='3074816']
I think I've seen crossfire about 40 times!! I was a girwoods regular for a long time!
[/quote]

Bombskare not my cup of tea I'm afraid altho i can appreciate they are good at what they do. Preferred The Caffreys to be honest.

Girwoods was my local 7 nights a week in my early years and then down Heathery bar on Fri/Sat.
Used to play with Tam in Gypsies Kiss many moons ago. Gem of a guy and fantastic front man.
Crossfire were headlining the Rock the Valley festival last weekend i believe.
Moved up to Biggar in 90's so kind of drifted away from it. Occasionally drop in to see what's changed. Not a lot really LOL

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

I thought the programs were very good. Rod Gilbert was the perfect man for the job and a good choice of judges. Midge is a hero of mine even without the tache. And the bass player from Bombskare, what a player!

Good on Wot and the band. Also plenty of good shots of the Maz bass. You should be on commission for the amount of screen time it got ;)

I've seen Bombscare play live. They sure do put a lot of effort into it. Really good, fun, band.

I have a feeling that if this show continues for another couple of series, that quite a few excellent bands will be 'discovered'.

We all know of really, great, local bands who take their music really seriously but can't commit to doing it full time, due to work or family commitments.

Just caught up with the South episode and Final on IPlayer - what a great series, and what a load of great talent out there. Inspired me to push my band in different directions, and to up our game.

WoT - lovely bass line in the opening of the Caffrey's original song.

Really enjoyed the series , but as with all things like this it's hard to compare different genres. There has to be a winner and they were more than worthy , but I could say that of a fair few of them

Seems like all the bands who got to have a go loved the experience , even though they played for nowt :)

Edited by lojo

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1466353143' post='3075200']
Really enjoyed the series , but as with all things like this it's hard to compare different genres. There has to be a winner and they were more than worthy , but I could say that of a fair few of them

Seems like all the bands who got to have a go loved the experience , even though they played for nowt :)
[/quote]

Yes, was a really difficult one for the producers to get right. As it was, my only criticism would be that a few obvious crowd pleasers got through ahead of possibly better bands - but then again, I guess that is an important part of being a band.

Edited by Mykesbass

I think that program was actually quite important for music in this country. It lets the masses know that there is more available than just the manufactured stuff that Cowel and Co. produce. There is live music out there in your local area. We all know that as we are or have been involved in providing it but outside of forums like this people only see/hear what is presented on tele or radio or youtube.

Edited by BassBus

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1466361049' post='3075275']
I think that program was actually quite important for music in this country. It lets the masses know that there is more available than just the manufactured stuff that Cowel and Co. produce. There is live music out there in your local area. We all know that as we are or have been involved in providing it but outside of forums like this people only see/hear what is presented on tele or radio or youtube.
[/quote]

^ This. Just a shame the show would have been preaching to the converted hidden away on BBC4.

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1466326622' post='3074891']

Bombskare not my cup of tea I'm afraid altho i can appreciate they are good at what they do. Preferred The Caffreys to be honest.

Girwoods was my local 7 nights a week in my early years and then down Heathery bar on Fri/Sat.
Used to play with Tam in Gypsies Kiss many moons ago. Gem of a guy and fantastic front man.
Crossfire were headlining the Rock the Valley festival last weekend i believe.
Moved up to Biggar in 90's so kind of drifted away from it. Occasionally drop in to see what's changed. Not a lot really LOL

Dave
[/quote]

Brilliant! Alex the bassist from crossfire without realising probably showed me alot more about bass than he or I realised. Very melodic but also has a constant rhythm to his playing. They know each others playing inside out though so they know what they're doing.

I've shared many a stage with bombskare... my old band borrowed their horn section lots of times.. always great fun. Genuinely lovely guys who live and breath music. Not just ska!

Just finished the final, thought Bombskare were really great, as actually were pretty much every band featured.

I'd also have liked to hear more of what Kissmet were doing in the first VT of them rather than the song they did on stage. Will be having a search for both bands later.

It's also nice to see a programme that was ostensibly a competition place not going down the sob story/'this is all I've ever wanted'/melodrama route.

Same again next year?

[quote name='JonesTheCat' timestamp='1466463707' post='3076098']
Just finished the final, thought Bombskare were really great, as actually were pretty much every band featured.

I'd also have liked to hear more of what Kissmet were doing in the first VT of them rather than the song they did on stage. Will be having a search for both bands later.

It's also nice to see a programme that was ostensibly a competition place not going down the sob story/'this is all I've ever wanted'/melodrama route.

Same again next year?
[/quote]

I should hope so - it seems to have been really well received.