Why become a member? ×

Playing fourths on DB - how to finger?

lobematt

Hey guys!

I'm a relative newbie to double bass and there is one thing that crops up quite a lot in the music I'm playing that catches me out, playing fourths. In particular when I'm in half position and playing F or Bb, R 5 8ve type shapes.

For the 5th and 8ve I would ordinarily use my pinkie on BG but it doesn't seem like a great option on the upright, has anyone got any advice for this? I play quite a bit of folky root-5 stuff and this comes up A LOT!!

Many thanks
Matt

This thread has some useful tips (from post #4 onwards) - [url="https://www.talkbass.com/threads/hand-position-finger-choice-when-playing-fourths.1094371/"]https://www.talkbass.com/threads/hand-position-finger-choice-when-playing-fourths.1094371/[/url]

Which fingers do you use at the moment? for the fourths in fast legato passages you can barre them but be careful with intonation, particularly in lower positions. If you're using the standard fingering technique ( 1, 2 and 4 supported by 3. One finger per semitone) then 4 for the 5ths and octaves is natural.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='neilp' timestamp='1465899794' post='3071909']
4ths are more difficult that 5ths or octaves, there's no real trick, just practice to get the string crossings smooth. Work and more work, I'm afraid!
[/quote]

Ah, I was afraid of that haha