Why become a member? ×

Preamp / DI?

nicko2711

Hi, looking for some advice. I run a passive Jazz bass direct into a Genz Benz STM900 and in the main I'm relatively happy with the sound although occasionally i do think that the mids could do with "opening up" a little. Added to this i have no back up amp so i thought that i might get a preamp pedal with a built in DI so if the worst happened at least i'd still be able to send a signal to the desk. I've been looking at the MXR M81 and of course the Sansamp and wondered if anyone else had any recommendations?

Yup, Dave Hall stuff has my vote too.

http://www.davehallamps.co.uk/page42.html

This one's a simple 3 band preamp with DI out, but he also does valve drive pedals with the same options which are amazing.

Edited by paul_5

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1465119763' post='3065366']
there's a thread going at the moment about the Behringer BDI21, it's a very cheap option
[/quote]

The BDI21 and Sansamp BDDI are great but maybe not the best starting point if the OP is looking to possibly 'Open Up The Mids' - see all the ' Where's my Mids gone ?" type comments on this forum and some preference for the Para Driver...

Edited by rmorris

[quote name='rmorris' timestamp='1465217750' post='3066180']
The BDI21 and Sansamp BDDI are great but maybe not the best starting point if the OP is looking to possibly 'Open Up The Mids' - see all the ' Where's my Mids gone ?" type comments on this forum and some preference for the Para Driver...
[/quote]

Agree, both pedals are great at what they do, but not too impressive on mids. Aguilar Tonehammer has sweepable mids, plus the interaction between gain and drive further brings mids into the equation. But my fave of the preamp/DI shootout was the Radial Tonebone. Very impressed with that one, and has dedicated mid control, plus mid frequency slecter as well.

Thanks guys. I had a BD121 a few years ago and the lack of mid control puts me off a BDDI. I've youtubed a load of stuff over the last few days based on your comments and I'd sort of decided on either an MXR M81 or a Two Notes Le Bass and then the Herts bass bash video got me thinking about the Zoom B3 or am I just complicating things?

I have a Zoom B3 and a MB60 and they're great as an all round effects unit.
I've been trying to replicate the clean sound I use from the Two Notes unit on the B3 without success. It sounds good but not that good !

Obviously there is more to the B3 than just amps and preamps, it depends whether you want more than this.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...