Why become a member? ×

Nashville DB

Been looking for places in Scotland to test drive DBs. Found a place in the middle of Edinburgh. Mostly students instruments. There were two DBs that had the label Nashville on them. The 4/4 sounded very nice (had really high action that could probably be cured with a set up) and the 3/4 seemed to have duff strings on it but could be OK. Anyone heard of this company. I assume that they are Chinese as although they sounded nice they looked pretty flimsy.

I knew that a search for an instrument would be tough but getting bored now

Were these in Varsity Music? If so, run a mile! Nashville is a label they put on the most basic Chinese instruments they seem to buy a container load of every few years, and the double basses I've seen in there have been awful, genuinely worse than anything else I've seen on the market. They had one in their window with no soundpost for a couple of years, with the top slowly collapsing!
If I was looking for a good value bass at the moment, I'd either keep hunting for a used instrument or order something from Thomann or Gedo and keep some cash back to have decent setup work done locally. Alternatively, it might be worth ringing the Violin Shop in Glasgow - it's a while since I've been in, but they've often had some not too expensive used instruments and I think they also carry the Stentor basses which are probably one of the better cheap new basses stocked in the UK.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

Think it was Varsity music. The other basses were really dodgy but the two at the back sounded good but looked like they would fall to bits on the way to the first practice or certainly before the end of the second slap. Am going into the West End Glezga this afternoon. Will see if the Violin Shop is open.
Most of the stuff that I am doing is Rockabilly but I don t want to confine myself to that.

I gave the Violin shop a call but sounds like he only has student instruments that he will string up with nylon strings. Do you know of anywhre else that I can go and try DBs? Will go through to the VS at the weekend anyway but there seems to be a lack of places to go up here!

There are a couple of string shops in Edinburgh which tend to have some basses, Stringers on York Place and Gordon Stevenson up in Bruntsfield. But neither keeps a huge stock, so you'd probably want to phone first. It's hard to try out basses in Scotland!
What sort of thing are you looking for, and what's your budget? If you're doing mostly rockabilly, a decent old German or Eastern European plywood bass might be a good option, and they do show up used now and again.

My budget is around 1500. Was thinking along the lines of a Duke (£1800 ish new) but I have not played one. My current small bodied has has such great action that I am loath to buy something without trying it first ....ie ordering from Thomann. My band actually (embarrassingly) bought an instrument for me. It was like playing a victorian wardrobe. I am getting pressure to get one of these £300 flamers. You probably are aware that Rockabilly is more a religious cult than a musical genre. My sound is very important to me...I know that this is a problem when amping DBs but I have heard so many good players with completely duff sounds.
Will give these guys a ring. Got to visit Bryce Ferguson in Juniper Green next week anyway. Thanks

For Rockabilly I say get a Duke,I love mine to bits.
Plays great,sounds awesome & looks cool too.
They come with a proper luthier setup suitable for gut strings or a synthetic alternative.
I use innovation golden slaps E & A with plain gut D & G on mine.

Hi,the action is fairly high to facilitate the low tension strings.
If you plan on using steels you can have a pretty low action but with low tension strings you need a highish action to give the strings room to vibrate without clattering on the finger board.
My old bass had an adjustable bridge so I experimented with string heights & came to the conclusion if using guts or similar I really need a pretty high action.

[quote name='lowlandtrees' timestamp='1465326554' post='3067239']
Hi Artisan
Is the action on a Duke similar to DB set up for classical/jazz or is it high to allow for the slap?
[/quote]

My Duke is setup with a medium action running Spiro weichs. The Dukes will do just about anything. They are very resonant so you can get more than a "ply" sound from them if you tickle them nicely. Lovely basses :)

• 6 years later...
On 05/06/2016 at 11:34, Beer of the Bass said:

Were these in Varsity Music?

On 05/06/2016 at 11:15, lowlandtrees said:

''Been looking for places in Scotland to test drive DBs. Found a place in the middle of Edinburgh. Mostly students instruments. There were two DBs that had the label Nashville on them. The 4/4 sounded very nice ....''

Yes! I know the basses you mean.
They are in Victor Morris just up South bridge. The full size one is actually fantastic for the price.
Yes, the folk scene snobs and disqualifiers which fill up the current Edinburgh scene will baulk, no doubt (these people fill up the ''folk pubs''' and literally disqualify anyone showing any new fresh talent.
But for £1700? The full size one is fantastic. And it actually loooked very decent. I liked it's sandy/golden wooden colour.
The high action was perfect for myself as I like to get my fingers under the strings to slap. And it automatically suited me, and felt very instinctive to play with my percussive style.
And was VERY surprised at how much and how well it resonated from the back shop all the way down the the front. And for a bass of that price to do that? NICE!

The ''Nashville'' full sizer is really nice.  And it's highish setting suits my style of playing perfectly.
for £1500 to £1700, you are getting a great bargain as it sounds better than anything else I've played in the cheaper price ranges, and resonated all the way round the whole shop, which is large, very nicely.

I use a percussive, and slapping style, and it felt so natural, easy, and instinctive on the Nashville.

I don't hang around in music scenes where all the usual folk scene snobbery matters. If it sounds right, it IS right. Who gives a mankey's donkey if it isn't an antique hungarian thing made from rare trees or some nonsense. I have a particular style, and anything that fits with that style is RIGHT for me. And for that price? The nashville is a winner really.

Edited by drummybassist

This thread is from 2016 - I haven't looked at that shop in a while, but it's entirely possible their current stock aren't the same ones they carried 6 years ago. My warning people away from those wasn't about snobbery (otherwise I wouldn't have also recommended the lower end Stentors and older European laminated basses), it was simply because at the time I'd seen them stocking basses with major issues and ones of low quality that weren't good value for money.