Why become a member? ×

Gallien Kruger MB VS Fusion shootout

Damonjames

I've had a few Class D little amps, the Fusion 500 is my favourite. I love the versatile eq, the effortless volume and the way it drives the cabs that I've paired it with. The pre-amp does a convincing valve tone.

I've have played through an MB but only at home volume, great little amp though.

Yes the regular MB is very GK like, quite a harsh, hard-hitting sound, though can be tamed, whereas the MB Fusion is a much warmer sound, can achieve the famed GK sound but it is a richer version of it.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1465161065' post='3065790']
Yes the regular MB is very GK like, quite a harsh, hard-hitting sound, though can be tamed, whereas the MB Fusion is a much warmer sound, can achieve the famed GK sound but it is a richer version of it.
[/quote]

Yep, my MB800 gets harsh quickly, controllable with tweaking gain/contour/treble... I'd also like to A/B with a Fusion 800! :)

[quote name='hairychris' timestamp='1465209976' post='3066073']
Yep, my MB800 gets harsh quickly, controllable with tweaking gain/contour/treble... I'd also like to A/B with a Fusion 800! :)
[/quote]

I havent noticed any harshness with my MB800 although i do keep the mids in check. In fact i use a Darkglass VMT in front to liven things up a bit.

I did own a Fusion 800 for two hours, but never got to plug it in. Quite fancy getting another one some day, but for now im happy with what i have.

I've not tried any of the MB range, including the MB Fusion; don't confuse these with the Fusion 550, which I do have. Bought it after a lengthy brains-picking session with Bassgear.
Not a modern lightweight model, but not particularly heavy either, and marvellously versatile with headroom a-gogo! Multivalve front end, so can grit if wished.

• 2 weeks later...

I A/B/C/D'd the MB fusion 500, 800 and MB 500, 800 when deciding which to buy. To be honest all are great sounding amps, it really is just the difference of valve gain v solid state. Both types can do clean and both types can do grind. I went with the fusion 800 for more headroom and to my ears, warmer sounding pre.

I have a GK MB500 and phew it's LOUD! Punchy as hell as well. My old Ashdown MiBass 550 sounded good through my compact but the GK takes things to another level. The combination of the MB500 and compact means I can hear every note, clearly and well defined.

I love it.

Edited by gjones

Love the MB500 fusion for big band jazz gigs wish it had a foot switchable mute and mid selection rather than just channel - but always seem to use my Markbass for pop function gigs, if i do go with the GK I find i need little or no mid cut to maintain the upper mids in the band mix at gig volumes

• 1 month later...

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1469454052' post='3098396']
I have mine pretty flat but cut upper mids and boost lower mids. Everything else is flat. Used with a Status Kingbass 5string into 2 x 12" Aggie
[/quote]

Thanks for that. I have being experimenting with my E.Q. and for now, have it set more or less the same as yourself.