Why become a member? ×

Plectrum playing - why the snobbery?

highwayman

I've been playing bass for a couple of months now & am really enjoying it; I have a decent selection of songs to practice thanks to my fine tutor & am getting to grips with the neck layout & theory.

I've found that the bass riffs that I want to learn sound great when played with a plectrum, and coming from the guitar it feels natural - so why is there (not necessarily from the fine members of BC) so much snobbery about using them?

Probably because of this notion that it is "all in the fingers" that holy grail quest for great tone! Personally, I find it very hard to play bass with a pick, to the degree that if I ever play guitar now I tend to use fingers on that too. I love some pick on bass sounds, particularly the really old school muted flats on something like Labi Siffri's "It Must Be Love" and lots of other 60's pop, and the more gnarly punk players, but never been able to play that way.

I like to think that a lot of what can seem like snobbery is more a bit of a running joke, along with the 5 string debate and good few others.

Pick away - enjoy it!

don't know really, lots of the best bassists use picks, Macca, Carol Kaye, J J Burnel to name but 3, but most bassists seem to use finger style maybe that's it, I've always used a pick because most punk players seem to use a pick.
I started as a guitarist, that's got something to do with it, although perversely I have learned finger picking on acoustic, though still have no wish to do so on a bass.
To answer your question I think most bass players are cool with whichever way you play and a lot can do both

[quote name='highwayman' timestamp='1465152527' post='3065659']
...and coming from the guitar it feels natural...
[/quote]

Perhaps that's part of it: there's an attitude among [b][i]some[/i][/b] guitarists that playing bass is something any guitarist could do, so to counter this [b][i]some[/i][/b] bass players want to emphasise that "real" bass playing isn't like that!

Cool answers - love the cartoon too.

I do intend to learn how to play with fingers - btw one of my favourite guitarists, Richie Kotzen, plays only that way these days - so it's a two way street...

Personally I find that the using the plectrum lends a certain "attack" to my bass, though do I favour playing riffs & licks over conventional basslines.

Edited by highwayman

I started as a guitarist, so started with a pick, but after a while I realised on the bass it was holding me back. But it depends on what you want to do. In my covers band I would use a pick for something like green day, but for the rest I wouldn't.

However, use what is best for what you use, I have heard perfectly reasonable people using music stands :D

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1465155567' post='3065704']
Perhaps that's part of it: there's an attitude among [b][i]some[/i][/b] guitarists that playing bass is something any guitarist could do, so to counter this [b][i]some[/i][/b] bass players want to emphasise that "real" bass playing isn't like that!
[/quote]

Maybe, but most of the guitarists I play with don't use a pick but use fingers the same as me.

[quote name='highwayman' timestamp='1465152527' post='3065659']
...so why is there (not necessarily from the fine members of BC) so much snobbery about using them?
[/quote]

What do people say ? I ask in all seriousness as I've never come across it except in internet forums.

Origins come from playing the double bass: fine players such as James Jamerson only (mostly) played his Fender Precision with one hooked finger. Many pro bass players from the '60s started on DB.

There are no rules: only choices. Snobbery, (if there is any?) may come from guitar players doubling up as bass players and using picks - I say this because if you have 'real' bass guitar lessons with a pro teacher, they will get you to play, initially, fingers only; at least they did when I started playing, 40 years ago, much after the EB had taken over from the DB!

Like everything else, there are some times, some songs, where playing with a pick sounds better. Conversely, try and play the guitar part of Sultans of Swing with a plectrum and it will not sound right!

ahpook: "I've never come across it except in Internet forums" - being a new bassist that's the only place I've heard it too, but on BC & elsewhere when plectrums are mentioned there's a fair amount of snobbery - do a search yourselves if in doubt - though happily not from the respondents to this thread.

Edited by highwayman

[quote name='highwayman' timestamp='1465159188' post='3065767']
ahpook: "I've never come across it except in Internet forums" - being a new bassist that's the only place I've heard it too, but on BC & elsewhere when plectrums are mentioned there's a fair amount of snobbery - do a search yourselves if in doubt - though happily not from the respondents to this thread.
[/quote]
I've just come back from the Herts Bass Bash - a BC event. Lozz did a comparison of pedals; using a pick. Others used a pick too. Not a word was said against Lozz or anyone else.

Do what works for you. Those who you might hear making noises about picks don't know what they're on about. Some folk simply like the pick tone. It's actually not my thing. I'm not so keen on the tone. The choice would be good though, but hey! That's life.

Plectrum or thumb here, never bothered to learn fingerstyle proper. Use a pick when I want that attack and thumb for a softer sound. Often I find finger players a little too busy. Maybe it's my preference for a strong bassline with strong and distinct intervals.

I'm a recent convert to pick playing. Although I play finger style in all my bands I really like the extra attack and think I'll be doing a few tracks with a pick at an upcoming recording session.

In agreement with everyone above really though... Just do whatever you feel sounds best :)

Anyone who tells you not to use a pick / only play a Fender / only play in your basement unless your getting paid, is best considered a bit of a wally and ignored.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1465156095' post='3065712']
However, use what is best for what you use, I have heard perfectly reasonable people using music stands :D
[/quote]

Well that's a bit weird, surely a bit unwieldy if you are playing straight 16th's?

I've recently had to start using a pick due to a hand injury after decades of playing finger style, most people think it sounds better! Only other bass players care whether you use a pick, fingers, or half a house brick to play, so long as they like what they hear.