Why become a member? ×

Top 5 bassists

Great idea Andy. I can't watch your video at the moment so I'll look forward to seeing who your 5 are tonight. Meanwhile mine are mostly from my early days as I've come across so many great bassists since then, all with good things to learn from, the list would be virtually endless:

Bruce Foxton (for getting me started)
Tony Maimone (Pere Ubu mainly)
Tina Weymouth (I'm in love with Tina)
Andy Warren (Monochrome Set still going strong)
Jean-Jacques Burnel (for making it count)

It's really hard to get it down to 5. But here are the ones that I will always come back to.

Justin Meldal-Johnsen (Beck and NIN really but he has worked and produce so much more)

Bobby Vega (nothing to say just the best with a pick ever)

Tim Commerford (think he is the reason I'm a pedalhead)

Jack Bruce (got to see him live before he passed amazing)

Klaus Flouride (Don't think he will get a mention by many but his bass playing with the Dead Kennedys should also say real name Geoffrey Lyall)

Edited by Joebethell

I can't do it.
Players that I listened to growing up and pulled me from guitar to bass
Mick Karn
Mark King
Pino Palladino
Paul McCartney

Then there's those I heard and been blown away by
Flea
Doug Wimbush
Jaco
Stanley Clarke
Les Claypool
Robert Trujillo
Billy Gould

And the more I listened to and sought out other players , musical tastes broadened and became more aware of other fantastic players.

I simply can't pin it down to five.

[quote name='troubadour' timestamp='1465210299' post='3066077']
Tina Weymouth (I'm in love with Tina)
[/quote]

There is something special about her at the beginning of the Tom Tom Club

https://youtu.be/XIW4skg3Ceo

Edited by lojo

These are probably my 5 top bassists at moment but they seem to change depending on my mood.
These were probably the biggest influences on my style of playing.

Jack Bruce (saw him live with his session band)
Geddy Lee (seen him several times and he just amazes me how he can do it all at same time)
Glenn Hughes (just love his aggresive style of funk / rock bass lines and so cool looking with Deep Purple)
Tony Levin (his style of playing and use of Chapman stick bass is a sound on its own)
Richard Sinclair (from his Camel days when he was singing and playing bas at same time. Excellent bass lines)

Dave

Only five is too difficult

Bruce Foxton (for playable great basslines)
Pino Paladino (for awesome fretless work)
Stuart Morrow (because no one else mentions him)
Bernard Edwards (for a groove, style and feeling I will probably never get)
Norman Watt Roy (as above)

Nathan Watts, James Jamerson, Steve Harris, John Taylor, Mick Karn, Scott Morris (The Bluetones) JJ Bunell amongst many others

I've gone through stages in my bass journey, but first off Steve Harris was THE guy that made me listen and say I NEED a bass. Then I progressed to some modern post-metal hardcore style stuff, and the guy who influenced me most would be Joe Principe. Then came Jazz, and my 4 most prolific influences as I have studied them the most. Pino Palladino, James Jamerson, Jaco Pastorious, and Michael League.

All in these 6 guys are equals for me, Joe may stand out as a less than prolific player but his simple and effective punk lines really helped me underpin my development on a rhythmic side initially, the latter 4 then made me jump up SOOOOO many levels of ability it's unreal. I wouldn't be who I am as a musician without these 6, and their respective bands/sessions, and their influences as well. I also wouldn't be the person I am today without them.

In no particular order

Flea
Robert Trujillo (his worl with "The Infectious Grooves" is groovy, to say the least.,,
John Paul Jones
Aston "Family Man" Barrett
Lenny kravitz (most people know him as a guitarrist, but is albums are full of tastefully basslines and licks, all courtesy of vintage P and J basses!