Why become a member? ×

Top 5 bassists

[b]Mic Todd[/b] (Ex Coheed & Cambria) - Mega talented and knows how/when to play the right thing
[b]Andy Rourke [/b](The Smiths) - Need I say more?
[b]Nate Mendel [/b](Foo Fighters) - Often overlooked. Not too flashy, but tasteful with the odd nice fill.
[b]David Ginyard[/b] (Blood Orange, Chairlift) - Pure groove player
[b]Stu Zender [/b](Jamiroquai) - Talented groove player

Edited by HMX

Armistead Burwell Smith (Pinback/3 mile pilot)
Joe Lally (Fugazi)
Entwhistle (duh)
Bob Weston (Shellac)
Eric Judy (Modest Mouse)

Hon Mentions

Mike Kennedy (drive like Jehu)
Kim Coletta (Jawbox)
Brian Desjean (no knife)
Dom Aitchison (mogwai)

Armistead Burwell Smith is a massively underrated bassist https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x5Lyh_UkPlM very unique style. Nice alembic tae boot :D

Edited by Sferg

theres loads i could mention and most have already been mentioned but my current listens are

Linus Klausenitzer - Obscura (mind blowingly good), Alkaloid, Noneuclid
Arif Mirabdolbaghi - Protest the hero (sadly no longer with the band)
[size=4]Dominic "Forest" Lapointe - Beyond Creation (again no longer with the band, their new bassist is pretty handy too), [/size]Teramobil
[size=4]Duff McKagan - He's the reason i play bass and i learnt all of Guns and Roses songs to learn the bass, just solid[/size]
Les Claypool - hes a god and bonkers

I don't know enough to comment on technical ability, but the guys who made me want to play bass for various reasons were/are:

Paul Simonon, but bizarrely it was watching live Gorillaz sets that really made me a fan (although I did love some Clash basslines), he's just very cool.
Norman Watt-Roy, and it was seeing him with Wilko on Jools that made me relisten to a lot of Blockheads stuff listening to the bass.
John Entwistle, on the strength of My Generation.
And probably Peter Hook and Doug Wimbush, both of whom I associate with doing stuff that sounds very different.

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1465770538' post='3070908']
Definite yes to Jerome Rimson, should have put him on my list. Boy can that man groove.
[/quote]

Came across him first at a Roger Chapman gig in 1976. Playing an Alembic modified Ricky of all things. Fantastic sound and groove.