Why become a member? ×

Darkglass Vintage Ultra is here....almost.

dave_bass5

Seeing as im definitely getting one i thought id post this here. Im sure there will be loads of talk about it over the coming months.
I was about to start using my VTBass DI as an always on and my VMT for the dirtier tones. Now it looks like i can do it all with one DG box.
Im not overly keen on the tones in the video, but i do love the DG Vintage pedals for their warming aspect.
[url="http://youtu.be/A7E4045C4JI"]http://youtu.be/A7E4045C4JI[/url]

Edited by dave_bass5

Much more than the VMT and the first VMTD certainly, the second version of the VMTD seemed to go further than the first two though so i suppose the Ultra is just the natural evolution.
Not sure if the Vintage has lost its way though. I loved the first VMTD, didnt get on with the second version as for me the Era knob was the selling point.

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1465306938' post='3066962']
Yeah, interesting, that goes way more distorted than the standard vintage right?

Si
[/quote]

Or that could just be Excane, he plays a hot bass into an amp on the edge of preamp tube breakup so everything sounds a bit gainier than you might expect!

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1465308050' post='3066975']
Much more than the VMT and the first VMTD certainly, the second version of the VMTD seemed to go further than the first two though so i suppose the Ultra is just the natural evolution.
Not sure if the Vintage has lost its way though. I loved the first VMTD, didnt get on with the second version as for me the Era knob was the selling point.
[/quote]

I agree... not quite what I was expecting... going more into the B7K realm than what I'd think of as vintage..

Sounds good though if you just take on face (sound) value for hotting up a clean bass.... but it's becoming a crowded market.

Probably a good place to start if you've nothing in place but I'm not sure I'd rush to upgrade a VMT...

Yeah, I agree with all that, for me the Era knob was the best thing on the VMT/D.
I sold my VMTD last year and spent the rest of the year with the VTBass Di and Deluxe. Sort of got tired of it so back in April I got a VMT. I really liked it but thought I could do with more EQ. I sold it on here and got the VMTD v2. Never really got on with it so I sent it back. It sounded good but I didn't need all the switch fucntions, and missed the ease of the one knob adjustments. I now have my VMT back and loving it, but again, I feel I need a bit more EQ. The VMT is quite dark, even with the era knob right up.
Now I expect I'll get the VMTD Ultra. I like the tone without the drive features engaged, but I can defiantly do with the option to turn the drive on and off, while still keeping the Vintage tone. That cover the missing Era knob convenience.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1465408456' post='3068006']
I did ask Doug about the Era knob on FB - he reckons that the EQ on V2 could do it all anyway.

But I did like the 1 knob tweakability. I have a V1 and it's not going anywhere. It's too useful.
[/quote]

Yes, Doug told me the same thing, and i agree, having just one knob to change the tones is a lot quicker than using 4.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1465408230' post='3068003']
Does the EQ work on just the clean element or on the whole lot?
[/quote]
The EQ is post-distortion so will effect the whole lot.

I sold my VMTD a while back has I really wanted one with a brighter grainier sound and these new ones looked like just the ticket. But then I got a Pike Vulcan and it's a keeper! I'd still be interested to compare it to the new Vintage but I'm in no rush to buy one.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1465541518' post='3069057']
I sold my VMTD a while back has I really wanted one with a brighter grainier sound and these new ones looked like just the ticket. But then I got a Pike Vulcan and it's a keeper! I'd still be interested to compare it to the new Vintage but I'm in no rush to buy one.
[/quote]

Are Pike still going? After their silencing campaign on social media and shops refusing to sell them earlier this year iv heard nothing from them...

The Vintage with the attack and grunt switches has somewhat transformed what the pedal can do. I'd very much recommend you give one a go!

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1465302645' post='3066910']
Seeing as im definitely getting one i thought id post this here. Im sure there will be loads of talk about it over the coming months.
I was about to start using my VTBass DI as an always on and my VMT for the dirtier tones. Now it looks like i can do it all with one DG box.
Im not overly keen on the tones in the video, but i do love the DG Vintage pedals for their warming aspect.
[media]http://youtu.be/A7E4045C4JI[/media]
[/quote]

Thanks! We'll start shipping these early next month! This one's a tad clearer and tighter in the low end. I just regret naming these series "Vintage". The Deluxe 2 and now the Ultra can get some pretty classic sounds but they can also go super aggressive.

I'm mostly off forums these days (working on the amplifier and some other, perhaps cooler stuff) but I really look forward hearing what you guys think about this pedal.

Regards,
Doug.

[quote name='Darkglass' timestamp='1465630584' post='3069709']

Thanks! We'll start shipping these early next month! This one's a tad clearer and tighter in the low end. I just regret naming these series "Vintage". The Deluxe 2 and now the Ultra can get some pretty classic sounds but they can also go super aggressive.

I'm mostly off forums these days (working on the amplifier and some other, perhaps cooler stuff) but I really look forward hearing what you guys think about this pedal.

Regards,
Doug.
[/quote]

I did think it sounded like it could go more aggressive than the standard VMT. Sounds great man!! :)

Si

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1465671273' post='3070152']
So I get that it's not strictly 'vintage' but I'm a bit confused now at the 'aggressive' overlap with the B7K?

What the clear blue water that this does and the B7K doesn't and vice-versa?
[/quote]

The B7K circuit cannot get as thick and , well, vintage sounding as the Vintage. The Vintage cannot get as heavy metal drive sounding at the B7K. Listen to the sound samples, it's quite difficult to describe the difference but very easy to hear it.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1465582122' post='3069486']

Are Pike still going? After their silencing campaign on social media and shops refusing to sell them earlier this year iv heard nothing from them...

The Vintage with the attack and grunt switches has somewhat transformed what the pedal can do. I'd very much recommend you give one a go!
[/quote]

I've seen nothing to suggest they're not, their site is still up and they are still for sale in various places. Bass Direct is the only shop I'm aware of that decided to stop selling them, and I'm not aware of any 'silencing campaign' either?

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1465708064' post='3070297']

I've seen nothing to suggest they're not, their site is still up and they are still for sale in various places. Bass Direct is the only shop I'm aware of that decided to stop selling them, and I'm not aware of any 'silencing campaign' either?
[/quote]

Fair enough, just haven't seen anyone selling them in the UK. The silencing campaign was when Pike were deleting any comment on their social media pages that wasn't outright praise of the pedals, many of which were just simply and politely questioning the similarity with Darkglass. Not the best defence of your product, but there you go!

Sorry, getting a little OT. I wonder how sales of the B7K and Vintage Deluxe are now that the Ultra models are out? I almost expected Darkglass to discontinue the models as, other than a parallel out, they offer nothing over the Ultra. The Ultra series is cheaper than deluxe series was when it first came out too :)

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1465724255' post='3070426']
Sorry, getting a little OT. I wonder how sales of the B7K and Vintage Deluxe are now that the Ultra models are out? I almost expected Darkglass to discontinue the models as, other than a parallel out, they offer nothing over the Ultra. The Ultra series is cheaper than deluxe series was when it first came out too :)
[/quote]

Actually B7K and Ultra sales are both record high at the moment, which is an interesting surprise as a more drastic cannibalization seemed logical.

We'll see what happens with demand of other products, as of now no plans to discontinue anything, but we'll see as we have a very interesting release road map for the next 2 years!

The Amp and Jon Stockman pedal that are about to come give a glimpse of where we were 12-18 months ago... but we've worked on other interesting (and more ambitious) R&D challenges simultaneously, so a lot of big changes are occurring now, super exciting times ahead!

Thanks for the support, looking forward hearing what you think of this pedal!
Doug.

Edited by Darkglass

[quote name='Darkglass' timestamp='1465732827' post='3070537']

Actually B7K and Ultra sales are both record high at the moment, which is an interesting surprise as a more drastic cannibalization seemed logical.

We'll see what happens with demand of other products, as of now no plans to discontinue anything, but we'll see as we have a very interesting release road map for the next 2 years!

The Amp and Jon Stockman pedal that are about to come give a glimpse of where we were 12-18 months ago... but we've worked on other interesting (and more ambitious) R&D challenges simultaneously, so a lot of big changes are occurring now, super exciting times ahead!

Thanks for the support, looking forward hearing what you think of this pedal!
Doug.
[/quote]

Well, that surprises me, but I guess its skewed by Darkglass being more popular than ever too :)

Can't wait to hear this Stockman pedal!