Why become a member? ×

Which compressor?

charic

Yup, or SpectraComp- That's great. You can pick a TonePrint of your liking, apply it then that's it. One knob to do all the work - and it's tiny.

Both of those pedals offer a lot for the money. Triple band compression or single full-band as well as the ability to do 'New York style' parallel compression blending in the dry signal. I can't think of many other pedals that can offer so much access to all of the available parameters and therefore these are right at the top of my list.

I do also love the Seymour Duncan Studio Comp, my faithful TC Nova Dynamics and the full band compressor on the EBS Sheehan Deluxe pedal is quite useful too, though less flexible.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1465320876' post='3067129']
I'm very happy with my MXR M87 Bass Compressor, I reckon that would be worth a look in that price range.
[/quote]

+1

For that money you could get a used Diamond BCP-1. Not a 'remedial' compressor as such, but evens out your playing a treat without losing attack or dynamics. More importantly, it makes your bass sound like the Bass of The LORD, which is a very neat trick.

[url="http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/diamobass.shtml"]http://www.ovnilab.c...diamobass.shtml[/url]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1465397000' post='3067861']
What's the difference between the hypergravity and the stecracomp then? If they can both use the toneprint and are both compressors... I'm confused :lol:
[/quote]
I hummed and hawed between the two, the ultimate deciding factor ended up Bassdirect having the Hypergravity in stock although I was veering more towards that one anyway.
I think if youhave time to use the editor software they're all but equal, but for me the mid gig control of 4 knobs outweighs the fun aspect of all those bassists' Toneprints.
Love it. :-)

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1465417472' post='3068112']
I hummed and hawed between the two, the ultimate deciding factor ended up Bassdirect having the Hypergravity in stock although I was veering more towards that one anyway.
I think if youhave time to use the editor software they're all but equal, but for me the mid gig control of 4 knobs outweighs the fun aspect of all those bassists' Toneprints.
Love it. :-)
[/quote]

Do you not get the toneprints on the Hypergravity then?

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1465463397' post='3068378']
Do you not get the toneprints on the Hypergravity then?
[/quote]
You get a different selection, mainly guitar-based ones. For some reason TC Electronic seem to have decided, at least for now, to market the SpectraComp as the 'bass' one.
There's a 3-way switch on top to select Spectra (multiband)/Classic/Toneprint(in which you can make up your own and assign the knobs to pretty much anything you fancy!).

The Super Symmetry is an excellent unit if you can stretch to it. I found the MXR a little too clinical. Have no experience with the TC stuff, but they sound like good bang for buck.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1465405142' post='3067972']
For that money you could get a used Diamond BCP-1. Not a 'remedial' compressor as such, but evens out your playing a treat without losing attack or dynamics. More importantly, it makes your bass sound like the Bass of The LORD, which is a very neat trick.

[url="http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/diamobass.shtml"]http://www.ovnilab.c...diamobass.shtml[/url]
[/quote]

The Diamond would be my first choice too although I also quite like the Aguilar.

Ovni Labs is a great resource for advice!

I just got a spectra comp, new to TonePrint, I have the Nathan east preset at the moment but want to tweak the response - is there a way to edit the artists tone prints or do you just have to start from one of the TC templates?
Is thee any way to view all the settings on an artist's TonePrint?

[quote name='Al Heeley' timestamp='1466495121' post='3076181']
I just got a spectra comp, new to TonePrint, I have the Nathan east preset at the moment but want to tweak the response - is there a way to edit the artists tone prints or do you just have to start from one of the TC templates?
Is thee any way to view all the settings on an artist's TonePrint?
[/quote]

Not sure yet, I would guess that you could edit it on the computer software (rather than phone?)

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1466497150' post='3076199']
Not sure yet, I would guess that you could edit it on the computer software (rather than phone?)
[/quote]yep its connected to my mac, editing templates works ok but if you load an artists tone print then hit edit it reverts straight back to the default template and all the settings are lost

[quote name='Al Heeley' timestamp='1466514566' post='3076389']
yep its connected to my mac, editing templates works ok but if you load an artists tone print then hit edit it reverts straight back to the default template and all the settings are lost
[/quote]

Well that's dumb. I guess it's so you can't see their secrets :(