Why become a member? ×

AER Amp One Inbound

sk8

It's a win, loved my amp one and the customer services from AER were second to none. I bought mine second hand off basschat, it was about six years old and it developed a farty fault, I sent it off to AER for repair, they had it for a while and couldn't actually find the fault, so they sent me a brand new one back free of charge, now that's customer service!

Great little amps. Be careful with the balance control and the bass controls/bass boost pushbutton...you can get ridiculous amounts of bass out of these things in the 50 - 80Hz region. I mean, huge.

Amp ones are great. Astonishing sound and volume from such a tiny box.

I have the daddy, an Amp two, 12" + 4" speakers and a little more power. In my opinion this is the best combo on the market for those who prefer to gig a combo. If you need more volume than an Amp two you should be through the PA. I must admit, mine gets very little use since I got a new Barefaced Super Midget powered by a Streamliner 900. (Soon to be EBS Reidmar 750)

I hope you enjoy the Amp one. I had one for a very short time. (Long and sad story. :blink: )

Frank.

[quote name='funkle' timestamp='1465409302' post='3068021']
Great little amps. Be careful with the balance control and the bass controls/bass boost pushbutton...you can get ridiculous amounts of bass out of these things in the 50 - 80Hz region. I mean, huge.
[/quote]

Very true. It took me a while to learn what all the controls did. It's well worth taking the time to learn though, for best results.

Frank.

I have a pair of Amp 3's I use now as my main rig. (One new one 2nd hand) Same controls as Amp 1 and a bit fiddly TBH but the bass power you get in a tiny box is earth shattering. I tend to keep the controls close to the middle, use bass boost button and keep that compressor light. Works for me. Kicks the crap out of anything else.

I've been gigging my Amp One for a few years now, loads of different venues, it's been perfect and the gain control has not even worried the 12 O'clock position. I was a previous user (& still occasional) of the Compact 60 for classical guitar for at least 12 years, so it was a natural choice for me. So convenient; so compact, but not as light as you may think and an excellent quality and variety of tone.

As mentioned above, get used to the set up, I was once on stage but unable to reach the controls, which had all been moved and my tone was weak and thin, but I had to wait until the first break before I could rectify. I find a don't need to use the bass boost much at all, as you can dial in enough for a low tone anyway, but if the venue allows and you've got a good reggae number add the boost and it will blow your socks off!

[quote name='Westenra' timestamp='1465481015' post='3068610'] Bloody hell they are expensive! What's the catch? [/quote]

Not sure there is one other than the initial outlay.

It arrived yesterday and all I've managed to do is to take it out of the box :(
Substantial piece of kit and more compact than I thought. Had I not read real world reviews and seen the YouTube video I'd be wondering if this thing was capable of putting out any bass at all :lol:

Really pleased so far as it meets the compact and light requirements. Just need to see how it sounds now.

[quote name='chrisanthony1211' timestamp='1465396058' post='3067849']
It's a win, loved my amp one and the customer services from AER were second to none. I bought mine second hand off basschat, it was about six years old and it developed a farty fault, I sent it off to AER for repair, they had it for a while and couldn't actually find the fault, so they sent me a brand new one back free of charge, now that's customer service!
[/quote]

Wow! That's fantastic

• 2 weeks later...

Well all I can say is WOW! this thing puts out far more bottom end than it has a right to. And is loud. Practice was with a heavy hitting drummer and it never struggled to keep up. Got a festival gig in a couple of weeks so will use it as the stage monitor.

I know there is the debate about the fact it manages the frequencies akin to the RH450 but I don't miss the deep low end as it appears to have it.

Can't wait to start gigging this and see people's faces as they look for he bass rig!

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1466582930' post='3076893']
Sounds great! I still like the TC RH amps, despite what everyone moans about. I do not need huge low end, ever! It sounds awful on stage.
[/quote]

Me too

This thing is nuts!

Not as HiFi as I thought it might be (which is no bad thing IMO )
Going to try my DHA in front of it to get an even more vintagey vibe.

[quote name='sk8' timestamp='1466584363' post='3076917']
Me too

This thing is nuts!

Not as HiFi as I thought it might be (which is no bad thing IMO )
Going to try my DHA in front of it to get an even more vintagey vibe.
[/quote]

The amp two (1x12 + 1x4, 240 watts) is far more hifi than the amp one.

It's not better or worse but just has a different character and it's a fair bit louder. On the downside, and this is the only downside for me, the amp two is also heavier. I solved this by using a folding trolley, which isn't required for an amp one.

Glad to hear you're impressed and enjoying it.

Frank.

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1466590513' post='3076986'] The amp two (1x12 + 1x4, 240 watts) is far more hifi than the amp one. It's not better or worse but just has a different character and it's a fair bit louder. On the downside, and this is the only downside for me, the amp two is also heavier. I solved this by using a folding trolley, which isn't required for an amp one. Glad to hear you're impressed and enjoying it. Frank. [/quote]

Yeah I noticed that, 25kg or so compared to 15kg of the Amp One.

• 2 weeks later...

used this in anger now although not for my Rock Covers band sadly. I've used this at My rock covers band practice with a loud drummer and the master was barely up. Gigged it at a festival for my acoustic project with a Godin A4 and DI'd it into the desk. Sounded great. Used it last night at a jazz cafe type gig and it sounded brilliant. Really please with it and loving the small form factor couple with a relativity light weight. Compressor useful too.

[quote name='sk8' timestamp='1467794042' post='3086225']
used this in anger now although not for my Rock Covers band sadly. I've used this at My rock covers band practice with a loud drummer and the master was barely up. Gigged it at a festival for my acoustic project with a Godin A4 and DI'd it into the desk. Sounded great. Used it last night at a jazz cafe type gig and it sounded brilliant. Really please with it and loving the small form factor couple with a relativity light weight. Compressor useful too.
[/quote]

They are wonderful little amps aren't they? So handy and useful and they seem to punch WELL above their weight.

Frank.

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1467806210' post='3086376'] They are wonderful little amps aren't they? So handy and useful and they seem to punch WELL above their weight. Frank. [/quote]

Yeah. Just epic. Words can't describe how over the moon I am with.