Why become a member? ×

Unusual truss rod

Roger2611

Hi guys and gals,

I have recently picked up an old CMI bass, it needs a tweak of the truss rod to take out some of the forward bow however behind the truss rod cover I found this, what tool do I need to adjust the rod?[attachment=221068:070 Truss Rod.jpg][attachment=221069:069 Truss Rod.jpg]

Thanks in advance
Rog

This might sound stupid...

Do you have a screwdriver you can change the ends on, you usually get the bits in a case with the handle and the bits pop into a hex hole at the end.

I've found one of mine is a perfect fit (sans driver bit) for Rickenbackers...

If not, it's a box spanner you're after. Try to measure it and look on eBay.

They look like a little smoking pipe. Taylor, ric, Gibson and a few others use this type of adjuster.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1465417271' post='3068111']
This might sound stupid...

Do you have a screwdriver you can change the ends on, you usually get the bits in a case with the handle and the bits pop into a hex hole at the end.

I've found one of mine is a perfect fit (sans driver bit) for Rickenbackers...

If not, it's a box spanner you're after. Try to measure it and look on eBay.

They look like a little smoking pipe. Taylor, ric, Gibson and a few others use this type of adjuster.
[/quote]

+1 a 'box' spanner of the appropriate size. Mini (1/4"?) sockets sometimes fit but the socket walls are often to wide. Thin wall box spanner is the way forward, no mre than a few £.

Something like this but you need to measure the size of the hex nut - [url="http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/accessories-c14/tools-c50/allen-keys-and-wrenches-c51/truss-rod-wrench-5-16-inch-size-for-gibson-p671"]http://www.wdmusic.c...for-gibson-p671[/url]

Edited by ikay

A 1/4" drive socket of the correct size will prob have thin enough walls. Socket sets are available from most motorist stores and tool shops fairly cheaply, perhaps £10 or so, including a pivoted driver and sockets of various sizes. Be sure to use the exact correct size socket !

HTH !

LD

Edited by luckydog

• 3 weeks later...

Back to the top for this one I am afraid, I brought a 1/4 box spanner which would fit the nut but it is too long to go in the channel, if I cut it down I would have to cut 90% of the socket area away meaning it wouldn't even reach the nut!

I can get a 1/4 socket on the nut but can't get anything on the back of it to make an adjustment, I have my doubts a ring spanner will get in there, so it seems to be a case on elongating the channel which seems a little extreme....unless anyone has anything else that might do the trick?

Rog

I have a cheap magnetic screwdriver set with interchangeable bits. The driver with no bit fitted is slim enough to go on the nut and still give you something to turn it with. It fits my Ric without having to hack lumps out of the bass. Of course ymmv

You may need to get the Gibson adjusting tool mentioned by Ikay previously. P

Plan b. 1/4 socket universal drive or flexible drive

Plan c. Cut the box spanner down. The length wants to be about t0 / 15 mm shorter than the truss rod 'trench' (this will allow easy on and off the truss rod nut). Drill two sets of staggered holes at 90 degrees some distance away from the hexagonal part of the spanner. Use a hole diameter that will let you insert a short bar (or Phillips screwdriver) to rotate the box spanner.

Edited by 3below

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1465414292' post='3068081']...what tool do I need to adjust the rod?...
[/quote]

Try an Ebay search for 'nut spinner', measure the dimension between flats of the truss rod nut and get one (or a set...) that fits. That should sort you out.

Something of this sort should do the job...

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Professional-T-Bar-Handle-Screwdriver-Set-20-Bits-Sockets-Holder-Nut-Spinner-/201480477318?hash=item2ee92c1a86:g:USwAAOSwcBhWYEHS"]T-Bar Nut Spinner set ...[/url]

Edited by Dad3353

<Bodge Alert> If you can get the 1/4 inch socket on the truss rod nut then you may be able to insert an appropriate size flat head screwdriver blade into the 1/4" drive socket (ideally across the diagonal). You will be able to do this at an angle that clears the truss rod 'trench' </Bodge Alert>

Dad3353's suggestion reminded me of the bodge method.

Edited by 3below

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1465417271' post='3068111']
[/quote]

Do you know, this is such an amazing tip. I've got a Stanley screwdriver like this and it's never actually crossed my mind that (if it fits) I could possibly use it this way. Top tip.

• 2 weeks later...