Why become a member? ×

pickup ground hum? How to find the source?

goonieman

Hi guys,

I have a nice fretless that is giving me some ground hum i think. It only buzzes when I touch the pickup cover (plastic - but I assume its conductive...) it's worse on the bridge pup then the neck pup.

If I touch the copper shielding inside the cavity or the bridge it goes totally silent. Withuot any touching at all there is a mild buzzing. As I said, it gets much buzzer when I touch the pup. It's weird because the pup is grounded!

Any ideas? thanks

EDIt: when I touch the wires that go to either pickup, the hum gets worse too!

Edited by goonieman

Is the copper shielding connected to ground? If touching it makes it go away, connecting that shielding to your common ground should also make it go away when you touch the strings.

Edited by dannybuoy

I'll double check that - but I tried one last thing last night when all the lights (dimmers!) were off : no buzz at all. Dead silent.

Turns out it's the damn lights... but even more strangely, sometimes they are on and there is no effect. It seems there is some kind of external interference as well... like neighbours lighting system or something.