Why become a member? ×

Painting a Jazz bass

I have a Geddy Lee Jazz which I bought from a fellow BC member some time ago. It had been painted white. A decent enough job however, the paint reacted with the foam on my guitar stand and it's gone a bit manky. Seriously thinking might get it repainted. So my questions are, is it something worth tackling myself? I'm not completely cack handed OR would you only get a pro to do it? Clearly I've never done one before so don't wanna waste time and money. Finally, any recommended painters preferably in Yorkshire and what should I expect to pay if I give it as it is unstripped. Any advice welcome. Thx. Andy

It may be possible to restore the damaged area. You could try lightly wetsanding the area and then buffing it back up to a gloss (or even just the buffing if it's minor). It would obviously depend on how deep the reaction has gone (pics would be good) for this to be effective. Do some reading up on the wetsanding and buffing process and see if you think it's a job you you'd like to have a go at.

If that doesn't work or you burn through (try not to!) you should be able find a luthier to touch up just the effected area if necessary. It sounds like it must have been refinished in Nitro to have a reaction like that with the stand. This is a great benefit for you, as Nitro is quite easy to touch up. This would be much cheaper than a full respray even if it didn't come out 100% perfect (though it should be pretty good).

• 2 weeks later...

I have managed to find a local body painter and have opted to let them both strip and paint the body. Its a Geddy signature that has been modded so has all black hardware and a black bound neck with black inlays and a red torty pick guard.
I want the body to be green but can't decide on the shade.

Which would yo choose?

Undecided Andy