Why become a member? ×

Recording bass at home

JuliusGroove

Hi Guys,

Looking to record some bass at home, mainly just for youtube/instagram videos etc. What gear would you advise to capture the audio? I have a mac with garageband, interface-wise I have an Alesis io2 however I have never been overly impressed with the sound quality of this. Is this an issue of a cheap interface or do I need to have other equipment to make it sound better regardless of interface such as a pre-amp.

Completely new to recording so any advice greatly appreciated!

Jack

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1465564385' post='3069318']
I would advice using DI and something like BIAS over trying to MIC at home. Especially if you're quite new to recording :)
[/quote]

Yeah I was going straight through the 'desk' rather than using a microphone, just never seems to be a nice tone :/

[quote name='JuliusGroove' timestamp='1465564602' post='3069322']
Yeah I was going straight through the 'desk' rather than using a microphone, just never seems to be a nice tone :/
[/quote]

Yeah, something like positivegrid bias is perfect for tone shaping after that point :)

https://www.positivegrid.com/bias-desktop/

[quote name='JuliusGroove' timestamp='1465563451' post='3069307']...any advice greatly appreciated!...
[/quote]

The sound of a bass, raw, straight onto record is not always that wanted. If you like the sound from your combo, I'd recommend connecting the 'Line Out' from that into the 'Line' input of your interface (which is perfectly adequate for your purposes...). There is a 'Pre-Post' switch on the combo; you'll want 'Post' to get the sound of the combo's tone settings. The sound recorded will be that of your bass and combo, without the speaker colouration. If this is still not satisfactory, you'll either need pedals before the combo, between the combo and the interface or software pedals post-recording.
Hope this helps.

I had an Alesis interface a few years ago, it was a terrible piece of garbage that never worked properly even with the most straightforward tasks. And the audio quality was not good at all. So if you don't like the sound, I'd sort that out first. Apogee, MOTU, Focusrite all make pretty good interfaces. GarageBand and your Mac's camera will be fine for the rest.

I've got an Edirol UA5, which is old but sounds fantastic. However, when I want the sound of my amp I get good results from playing bass along with a (quiet) backing track while recording it onto a Zoom H1 in front of the cab - then importing the audio file from that into my DAW for editing and mixing. Works a treat and no latency issues.

I just finished up recording an album at home for a singer, I simply plugged my Precision with flats into one of our (I work for Focusrite) Clarett 2Pres and it sounded fantastic.
This isn't a sales pitch at all, but just an example of getting the right instrument, strings and interface for the project you're doing, and you don't need much else.
When I sent the completely un-produced stems to the mix engineer, he commented that all he needed to do was to put on a light compressor on them and it sat in the track wonderfully.

Si

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1465566676' post='3069340']
The sound of a bass, raw, straight onto record is not always that wanted. If you like the sound from your combo, I'd recommend connecting the 'Line Out' from that into the 'Line' input of your interface (which is perfectly adequate for your purposes...). There is a 'Pre-Post' switch on the combo; you'll want 'Post' to get the sound of the combo's tone settings. The sound recorded will be that of your bass and combo, without the speaker colouration. If this is still not satisfactory, you'll either need pedals before the combo, between the combo and the interface or software pedals post-recording.
Hope this helps.
[/quote]

This was really helpful thank you! I've got an Aguilar Tonehammer preamp pedal which has an XLR out, would I put this last in my chain and take the XLR from the pedal to the desk or use a jack lead like normal and take the signal from the XLR out of the amp?

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1465569891' post='3069364']
I just finished up recording an album at home for a singer, I simply plugged my Precision with flats into one of our (I work for Focusrite) Clarett 2Pres and it sounded fantastic.
This isn't a sales pitch at all, but just an example of getting the right instrument, strings and interface for the project you're doing, and you don't need much else.
When I sent the completely un-produced stems to the mix engineer, he commented that all he needed to do was to put on a light compressor on them and it sat in the track wonderfully.

Si
[/quote]

Ive heard these are great, where's the cheapest I can pick one up? ;)

[quote name='JuliusGroove' timestamp='1465571143' post='3069376']
This was really helpful thank you! I've got an Aguilar Tonehammer preamp pedal which has an XLR out, would I put this last in my chain and take the XLR from the pedal to the desk or use a jack lead like normal and take the signal from the XLR out of the amp?
[/quote]

Ideally you'd do both, then compare the results and see which suits you better. Taking directly from the pre-amp means you no longer need the combo for recording. Using the combo, with or without the pre-amp, means you have the use of the combo tone controls, if required. Both are good (as, indeed, is the bass directly into the interface, if that's the sound you need for that particular take...).
It only costs a few minutes (well, about an hour or so, really...) to go through all of the permutations, then you're set for the future to choose for each job the best match. Have fun. B)

...just an example of getting the right instrument, strings and interface for the project you're doing, and you don't need much else...
[/quote]

I can believe it. Whether you're recording bass, guitar, piano, vocal or anything really, a quality pre is all. That's what those vintage desks were all about. Quality components!

Si
[/quote]

Very similar to my experience. Gibson SG bass (with flats) direct into Focusrite or Sansamp then Focusrite. As per Sibob's engineer a small amount of compression is all that is needed. Joyo American pedal also works really well using same method for guitar recording. The biggest mistake I made to start with was recording with too much input level (it is not like my youth on tape). Record with low levels since there is virtually no background noise.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1465572868' post='3069393']
Is this sticky thread not of use?

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/87414-how-to-make-a-good-looking-and-sounding-youtube-video/

:)
[/quote]

Did read it however it didn't talk in much detail regarding the recording aspect! Was looking for info on gear etc :)

Si
[/quote]
+1, my MTD straight into my Focusrite Clarett 2pre into garage band on my iMac sounds lovely to my ear.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Si
[/quote]

Glad to see a Focusrite rep on here Si

I love my 2i2.

So I recently started learning Reaper to record my acoustic band.

For my bass I recorded myself thru both my DIs, and my Tech 21 BDDI, and my MarkBass amp's DI, then a tube pre amp. Then I bought a Senny mic to mic my cab. Unhappy with the sound I was getting.

Then I just went straight into the 2i2 with my MIA P and BAM ! that's all I had to do !

Try the obvious first

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1479465457' post='3176728']
Glad to see a Focusrite rep on here Si....
[/quote]

Absolutely, although I was certainly a member here before I started at Focusrite :)
But in any case, always happy to field questions etc!

Cheers
Si

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1480344546' post='3183535']
Absolutely, although I was certainly a member here before I started at Focusrite :)
But in any case, always happy to field questions etc!

Cheers
Si
[/quote]

Those Focusrite interfaces look great. Are they compatible with Windows PCs or is it Apple only?

[quote name='progben' timestamp='1482418800' post='3200410']

Those Focusrite interfaces look great. Are they compatible with Windows PCs or is it Apple only?
[/quote]

Our Clarett range of interfaces are compatible with Windows PC & Mac, as are our Scarlett range.

Cheers
Si

For a nice clean signal, Focusrite & Mackie interface pre amps are the best I've used. However, for injecting some colour into my bass recordings, I run my bass into an old school Joe Meek pre-amp, and then into my interface. I'm currently using a Joe Meek VC6, it's colourful and full sounding. You can pick these up on eBay second hand for around £120. Another option would be a Golden Age Project Pre-73, which retail for around £250, however I normally always opt with the Meek unit. Make sure to avoid the new Joe Meek Units (deep green colour), they seem to be lacking the character of the old units. The fresher the strings the better, and an amp simulation plugin like Guitar Rig or Amplitube can also work well

The Mackie Onyx Blackjack 2x2 is a fantastic sounding interface, and I'm sure it only costs £90 now.

Edited by Light Grenade

• 4 months later...